English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 April 2003, 14:14   #1
Bloodwych

WinUAE R6 problemo report

Well thanks again to Toni and everyone else involved with winuae for the continual release of new versions. Just installed the latest R6 and I'm here to report a few problems I've been having for a while now.

A500 emulation seems nailed - never do I experience problems playing A500 games form adfs. Where I seem to find issues is under HD emulation (whdload games and workbench) and when JIT CPU's are running. So here are a few problemos:

1) Under the cpu options tab, the setting fastest possible but maintain chipset timing doesn't work for non-jit cpus, like the 680EC20 for instance. It seems to plod along at A500 pace. In order to get decent speed, you have to select the "adjust between" slider.

2) Running certain WHDload games causes issues with JIT cpu's. Shown below is a screen shot of Turrican 2, WHDload version, running off a HDF workbench 3.0 setup. The one on the left is with a non-JIT 68EC020 and the one on the right a JIT 68020. The sound is also corrupt with the JIT CPU enabled. Tried changing other options such as opengl, aga/ecs but the corruption remains - definitely seems to be the JIT cpu.

Athlon XP 1.33Ghz
256MB 266Mhz DDR
KT266A chipset
Geforce 2 GTS
sblive!

Ok, that's enough of a headache for one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turricanissues.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5047  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 April 2003, 15:22   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: you are right, reason unfortunately not yet known..

2: most likely this is not a bug. (sorry for repeating..) JIT-mode's goal is speed, not full compatibility with hardware banging programs. CPU/chipset timing is very different in JIT mode. Enabling immediate blitter may help.. (and I'd like to have registered WHDLoad before debugging WHDLoad compatibility problems...)
Old 27 April 2003, 20:14   #3
Bloodwych

Thanks Tony.

Here is another one, again I don't know if it's any use to you but reporting it can't do any harm.

I can't get Monkey Island to work (skid row crack) from a workbench setup, no matter what configuration I use.

In order to dismiss other possibilities, I installed the game from scratch on a fresh WB 2.0 HDF install using the games default installer found in disk 1.

The same HDF runs the game fine in WinUAE 0.8.8R9.

What happens is it starts to load then after pressing enter the music throws a fit and the game just pauses on a blank screen. The game still runs from disk however.

And (sorry if this has been asked a thousand times) why does WinUAE switch numberlock off?
Old 27 April 2003, 20:50   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I can't get Monkey Island to work
Try creating default config from scratch. Some very old WinUAE configs may not be compatible.

Quote:
why does WinUAE switch numberlock off?
It is DirectX "feature" (DirectInput part, happens when WinUAE takes control of the keyboard) No idea why it does that. Seems to only happen under Windows95/98/ME.
Old 27 April 2003, 21:44   #5
Bloodwych

Thanks for the prompt response!

It's REALLY annoying that direct Input turns off number lock. I keep on whacking in numbers only to look up and find zilch. Oh well.

I always build fresh configs but still no luck.

For anyone here with a bit of spare time on there hands I've uploaded a HDF containing Monkey Island in the zone. If you could test it out using different WinUAE versions I'd be grateful.
Old 07 May 2003, 22:58   #6
Bloodwych

Did anyone try out that Monkey Island HDF? All I want to know is if it's my PC or WinUAE that's causing the problem.
Old 08 May 2003, 13:26   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
It's REALLY annoying that direct Input turns off number lock. I keep on whacking in numbers only to look up and find zilch. Oh well.
... which makes One Step Beyond (almost) unplayable with recent WinUAE versions running on Win9x!

As you might know, you MUST use the numpad for typing in the level codes if you reached some higher levels and you don't intend to start over from level 1 all the time. The numeric keys on the main keyboard section will *not* work.
Or ... save state, of course. Quite an ugly workaround, though.
Old 08 May 2003, 13:54   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Did anyone try out that Monkey Island HDF
Oops, forgot.. I tested and it worked under KS 1.3 and 2.0 without problems. I think I had some problems in JIT mode but that was expected..
Old 10 May 2003, 14:04   #9
Bloodwych

andreas, yeah it's like having an A600! Perhaps Toni is bias towards these numberpadless diddy machines!

Thanks for testing it out Toni. Can't work out why it refuses to run on my machine. I've tried every config possible but it won't run from a HDF (unless I use the older 088R9), only from floppy disks!

Strange.

I have to congratulate you on this latest version as it seems very stable. I've been messing around with HDF's and workbench setups for hours on end, often starting and restarting WinUAE with different configs and it's never crashed or caused any errors to the HDF's once. This is with WIn ME as well.
Old 12 May 2003, 13:25   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
yes, stress *EVEN* with WinME
(sorry really couldn't resist)
Old 16 May 2003, 18:11   #11
Calen

Aint tried it since a few revisions ago and without success but does Jabberwocky work on the latest version of Winuae?
Old 16 May 2003, 23:49   #12
Magus Perdé

OGL...

Hi all...

This is my first post here...
First, congratulations to UAE and WINUAE devs for such a wonderful piece of code...

I've got a problem with R6 (maybe R5 also, I didn't change since R4) : when I activate OGL display, it causes a huge slowdown. Animation seems to work fine but the sound is very choppy and repeating. Everything worked fine with R4. If I switch OGL off, everything works fine.
My specs are Athlon XP1700+, 512MB, Geforce 256 DDR, SB Live bulk.

TIA

Old 05 June 2003, 18:52   #13
Bloodwych

YEAH! Just installed R7 and Monkey Island works again on my machine!

Thanks Toni!
AdSense AdSense