English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 April 2003, 07:14   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Micro Machines V3

I got this game today as a birthday gift for my PSX (I also got Syphon Filter 3 and G-Darius )

The game is a blast. I am a big fan of the Amiga game, and I was a bit disapointed with the sequel (Not released on Amiga AFAIK).

This one has 3D graphics, but it plays a lot more like the original one with power ups. Yes, for the first time, Micro Machines has power ups that can picked up in the track, like missiles, a hammer to smash your opponent or a claw to pull your enemy back. They work better than in most games of its genre, and they don't appear too much, so they never are the main reason of winning.

And as Micro Machines seasoned players know, the main attraction in the game is the multiplayer mode. And it's just great on this one.

It has all the modes from Micro Machines 2, plus you can have Time Trial tournaments (To be honest, rather boring), and you can play in the "Share Controller mode" . That's the best mode in the whole game.

With 2 controllers, you can play with 4 players at once, one using the left side of the joypad (the D-Pap) and the other using the right side of the joypad (The Buttons). Each controller is a "team" (If you had to play against the guy sharing the controller with you, you would probably pull the controller from him or something like that ). Then it's just like 2 players Micro Machines, but with 4 players . If your car gets dissapears of the screen for being to slow, you are out of that round. The last team standing is the one who gets the point, then it starts all over again (Very much like the original Micro Machines)

Now I am saving to get the 4-joypads adapter. With it, you can play with EIGHT players at once.

The only drawback of the game is that sometimes the frame rate drops in the middle of a race. It's not that bad, but it may annoy you sometimes. Oh, and I would like to see more different terrains, but you can't have everything

If you are a fan of Micro Machines, and has a PSX, I recommemd this game. (I think it also has a N64 version. The share controller mode would be even better, as the N64 controller is much bigger)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 April 2003, 08:08   #2
Drake1009

I got the PC version of the game some time ago, but too late though. I got it about 2 months after switching away from my 3Dfx card which is the only supported 3D acceleration on the PC. The game doesn't look too good in software but still fairly fun to play. I'd still prefer to play MM2.
Old 24 April 2003, 08:40   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I never liked MM2 that much. It's good, but the track designs aren't as good as in the 1st one. It's very easy to get lost in some tracks. But the track in the toilet was great

Also, the zommed-out tracks were stupid, it took out the main element from the multiplayer mode. It's cool because you CAN'T view what's in front of you. The player behind always has the advantage.0
I remember there was one track where me and I friend found out that, if one player were racing normally, the other could just stay on screen without racing, but just staying in a certain part of the circuit, going to the right directions at the right time.
Old 24 April 2003, 12:47   #4
Bloodwych

This game is an absolute blast! As soon as the multitap came out my friends and I invested in loads of multiplayer games to augment or beer driven sessions. Games such as Hogs of War, Crash Racing, Quake 2 and Bomberman provided hours of fun.

Out of all the mutiplayer games however, Micro Machines V3 was always my favourite. Being a 5 player game (no-one sharing joypads) with all the action taking place on a single screen rather than split boxes makes all the difference and a true classic. What I like about it most is that it plays like a 2D game - simple controls and immediate playability. The weapons are great and just watching people get gradually worse at driving as the beer kicks in is rather funny - you can soon pick out the light weights!

One of the cleverest features however is the seemingly random shortcut you can get away with. Normally, you have to stay on or at least near the track to stay in the race. Sometimes however, you can get away with a ludicrous shortcut that has everyone cursing your very existence whilst leaving a huge grin on your mush as you mock the lagging field! These short cuts don't always work, so it's a calculated risk! Then there are neat touches like the infamous lily pad, where you can have huge battles trying to push other contenders into a pond as it floats slowly across the water. The tracks are just great. Brilliant stuff!

Problem is everyone has moved onto x-boxs and gamecubes but have yet to get decent multiplayer games for these machines.

So we still whack out the PSX when we all get together, as it's the true daddy for some multiplayer mayhem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagen1grande.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	5046  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 24 April 2003 at 13:12.
Old 24 April 2003, 13:28   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
I never liked MM2 that much. It's good, but the track designs aren't as good as in the 1st one. It's very easy to get lost in some tracks. But the track in the toilet was great
Let's not forget about the track designer though - I always loved playing around with that and I still do As for the third one, it's fun, but the graphics suck badly.
Old 24 April 2003, 13:54   #6
Drake1009

Third is fun even in software but for some reason there's so many graphics glitches on my system that it's practically unplayable
Old 24 April 2003, 13:59   #7
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
Let's not forget about the track designer though - I always loved playing around with that and I still do As for the third one, it's fun, but the graphics suck badly.
The track designer was a great feature in the older MM.

As for the graphics in V3, never occurred to me they were bad, just perfectly functional for the game. Certainly doesn't hinder the title in anyway. A prime example of the phrase graphics aren't everything me thinks!
Old 24 April 2003, 19:45   #8
Drake1009

Graphics are everything when it's got as bad glitches as I got. Other than that it looks good enough for the game.
Old 25 April 2003, 08:50   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't know MM2 had a track designer... I've only played the Mega-Drive version, and this version has no track designer...

I haven't tried any other multiplayer modes, only the "Share Controller". As I don't have a multi-tap, we just can't get over the urge of playing with 4 players. Playing with just 2 now would feel weird

But if I had one, yes, I guess we wouldn't go for 8 players mode (Well.. maybe for the curiosity sake), we would be fine with 5 players.

The shortcuts aren't exactly "random". There's a certain logic behind them, just like in the original Micro Machines. But MM V3 seems to have bigger shortcuts, which may give you a bigger advantage, but the bigger it's, the harder it's to go through it (As ther will be more objects in the course)

The graphics aren't bad in my opinion. Like in the other MMs, they are functional. They are much better (even in 3D) than the previous versions, with a lot more of detail in the tracks.

Micro Machines got a PS2 release, but I haven't see it yet.
Old 25 April 2003, 13:06   #10
Drake1009

And Micro machines is apparenlty getting honored with Micro maniacs on the X-box.
Old 25 April 2003, 14:03   #11
Ash
Zone Friend

Groovy
Where did you learn this?
Old 25 April 2003, 14:12   #12
Drake1009

Going to codemasters homepage looking for a possible patch to fix graphics issues with Micro machines V3. Not really listed on the page anymore but when I typed Micro machines it popped Micro maniacs. Not cars but small people instead it seems.
Old 25 April 2003, 14:43   #13
rattus

yay! I have Micro Machines V3 too!

At first I got pretty fed up with it and was going to exchange it because the AI cheats...but then a 2player match with my brother changed my mind

Quote:
Problem is everyone has moved onto x-boxs and gamecubes but have yet to get decent multiplayer games for these machines.
*cough*SuperMonkeyBall*cough* dunno about the xbox tho....Halo?
Old 25 April 2003, 17:41   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The XBox already has a version of Micro Machines.

I've got it!

I've only played it about once because I've been busy with my Amiga though (ooh the irony - or maybe not)
Old 26 April 2003, 06:20   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The AI cheats? How ??

You should play Mario Kart 64. Now that's a game where the AI REALLY cheats.

Or try All Terrain Race on Amiga. The AI in that game is great, they do ANYTHING to win, take shortcuts and all, but it never feels cheap.
Old 26 April 2003, 13:10   #16
rattus

well either the AI cheats or I suck at the game...

alas. I have no N64

but I'm looking forward to Mario Kart: Double Dash!
Old 27 April 2003, 05:22   #17
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The AI will probably cheat on this one too. In Super Mario Kart the AI also cheated, but not as bad as in Mario Kart 64.

Team play on Micro Machines V3 is cool. Playing alone in multiplayter gotta be more fun, but team mode is very cool too (It's the only 4 player mode I can play, as I don't own a multi-tap)

Yesterday, me and other 3 friends were having a blast at it. It was me and a guy who never plays video-games at all against a rather experienced player and a casual gamer.

It was 5-3 against us, and the final lap was about to end, and it seemed like we were going to lose. The casual gamer in the other team was already out, and I was trying to get ahead to win a point before the race ended. My team-mate was right behind me, and the other guy was a bit behind, but still it seemed like I wasn't going to make it. Then my team mate did something I think I would NEVER think about, and no one had tried it yet: he stayed in the front of the other guy, and he just pressed BRAKE as hard as he could. He stopped and then went reverse against the other guy, who couldn't do nothing but hit him and stay there, leaving me to get the point just before the race ended. 4-4, and we got an easy point in the payoff and won the race.

This was THE moment yesterday, me and my team-mate went like "YEAAAAHHH, EAT THIS!" and the other team was like "HOLY SHIT?!?", and we all yelled at each other. It was rather funny because the SMARTEST move in the whole night was done by someone who usually never plays video-games.
Old 27 April 2003, 16:56   #18
Drake1009

I always have a feeling the computer is cheating when I'm losing But usually there's something to it which would justify it. AIs still can't be programmed to be as good at figuring out things as humans are by nature so in order to get a little balance they have to bend rules to give any kind of resistance. Unfortunately it sometimes feels cheap.
Old 27 April 2003, 17:35   #19
SabreGolly

Quote:
Not really listed on the page anymore but when I typed Micro machines it popped Micro maniacs. Not cars but small people instead it seems.
Micro Maniacs came out for the PSX in 2000. Found it in the bargain bucket at Eltncs Btq, if I remember correctly, and have it here in front of me as I type!

You had little men running around, is it wasn't accelerate/decelerate/rotate controls but used the analogue pad. I have to admit, it isn't as fun as MMachines, but you could still have 8 players using a multitap, and it had 41 tracks including hidden unlockable ones.

One takes place on a scaletrix track - I think I remember that being quite cool.

The different characters had different stats and weapons, which is something that always annoys me in these games. I want 'em all!
Old 28 April 2003, 16:33   #20
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
I always have a feeling the computer is cheating when I'm losing But usually there's something to it which would justify it. AIs still can't be programmed to be as good at figuring out things as humans are by nature so in order to get a little balance they have to bend rules to give any kind of resistance. Unfortunately it sometimes feels cheap.
Well spoken Drake!
Despite the mammoth upgrade in CPU power over the years, to be honest I still feel CPU drivers seem to lag in the dark ages of extremes, either extremely fantastic or extremely dumb.

I'd just love to see in particular some "individuality" to CPU cars driving tatics, rather than the "CPU pack vs. the player" mentality.
AdSense AdSense