English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate Emulation handheld?
GBA 14 38.89%
GP32 13 36.11%
/me dont know 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 February 2004, 17:33   #21
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

heh, I think these sum up my feelings about the GBA:

AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 February 2004, 17:50   #22
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Bwahahaha

So glad I didnt get a GameBoy Advance
Old 27 February 2004, 20:06   #23
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
GBAs are excellent: There are some great games, and that is the most important thing for a games machine. The game industry in general seems to give it no credit as a real platform though and treats it as a resource stream where the game quality doesn't really matter. The GP32 doesn't really have new games, and although it is a marvellous beast, the emulators are not really fast enough in general. I got a Zaurus SL-C750 instead. It was £300 quid in Tokyo 8 months ago (cheaper now), and the NES/SNES/GB/GBC emulators runs at full speed. UAE runs about 1/3 of an A500.

I'd still recommend getting a GBA, although it might be worth waiting for the DS.
Old 28 February 2004, 13:40   #24
rattus

update: the GBA now has a genuine SNES emulator!

http://snes.pocketheaven.com/

http://www.gbaemu.com/

it will never have sound but still quite impressive

also development of the PC-Engine emulator is moving along quickly...
Old 28 February 2004, 15:13   #25
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
The GP32 doesn't really have new games, and although it is a marvellous beast, the emulators are not really fast enough in general.
Which emus arent fast enough?

Everything I've tried has had excellent speed (PCEngine, AtariST, C=64, SNES, NES, SMS, GameGear and even the Megadrive which has no sound yet)

I havenít tried GB or GB color, Atari2600, Colecovision and some of the other 8-bit systems yet, are these the general emulators you are referring to?
Old 28 February 2004, 15:17   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by T_hairy_bootson
and even the Megadrive which has no sound yet
Sound may cripple it by causing it to run at unusable speeds, so I would be wary about that.
Old 28 February 2004, 20:39   #27
manicx

Quote:
Originally posted by FromWithin
GBAs are excellent: There are some great games, and that is the most important thing for a games machine. The game industry in general seems to give it no credit as a real platform though and treats it as a resource stream where the game quality doesn't really matter. The GP32 doesn't really have new games, and although it is a marvellous beast, the emulators are not really fast enough in general. I got a Zaurus SL-C750 instead. It was £300 quid in Tokyo 8 months ago (cheaper now), and the NES/SNES/GB/GBC emulators runs at full speed. UAE runs about 1/3 of an A500.

I'd still recommend getting a GBA, although it might be worth waiting for the DS.
True. The limitation of GP32 is not the CPU but it's memory. Besides, GP32 production stopped a while ago. Although it has support from independent developers, the official games suck big time. Zaurus SL-C750 is a marvelous piece of hardware. I am jealous FromWithin ....
Old 28 February 2004, 20:51   #28
SilentBob

Enverex:

Haven't seen those , laughing my backside off.

Never tried a GBA IRL though, just emulated it.
Old 02 March 2004, 19:18   #29
CU_AMiGA
Banned

I have owned a GP32 for about 4 weeks now and is easily one of the best purchases i have ever made. The PC Engine emulator alone is well worth checking out. I have got on my GP32 (128mb SMC):

PC Engine emulator + around 30 games. (full speed and sound)
SNES emulator + 3 games (75% speed no sound)
GB GBC emulator + around 70 games (full speed and sound)
Atari ST emulator + 2 games (full speed and sound)
*Doom - Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 (full speed and sound)
Mya Mya Rocket (good game, Chu Chu Rocket clone)
C64 Emulator + around 20 games (full speed and sound)
King Of Fighters '91 - Excellent Beat 'em up
CBM Plus/4 emulalor + around 20 games (full speed and sound)
*MSX emulator + around 50 games (full speed and sound)
Sega Mega Drive emulalor + 7 games (75% speed no sound)
NES emulator + around 20 games (full speed and sound)
2 Spectrum emulators + around 30 games (full 48k emulation at full speed and sound, partail 128k emulation)
GPPang - Excellent Pang clone
GPasteroids - Excellent Asteroids clone.
Early Arcade emulator (8080) + 7 games (full speed and partial sound)
*Colecovision emulator + around 10 games (full speed and sound)
*Sega Master System and Game Gear + around 80 games (full speed and sound)
A couple of MP3s

*Can suffer from split screen bug but easily dealt with on menu (select no double buffering on video options).

Also a Metal Slug demo has just been released, and also a GBA emu is on the cards and is reckoned to be very excellent (maybe full speed and sound) because both system share same CPU, but GP32 is clocked WAY higher! Make no mistake, a GP32 is definately a machine to be reckoned with!

Regards,
Old 02 March 2004, 19:42   #30
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by CU_AMiGA
[B]and also a GBA emu is on the cards and is reckoned to be very excellent (maybe full speed and sound) because both system share same CPU, but GP32 is clocked WAY higher!
That will barely suffice to emulate all the other stuff... The GBA is not just a CPU, just because they share the same CPU doesn't mean that the emulation will be almost native, the GBA has other things that the GP32 will have to emulate.

That's as saying that a 68030 50Mhz Amiga running Fusion will perform as a 68030 50Mhz based Macintosh.
Old 02 March 2004, 20:33   #31
FromWithin
Music lord

Send a message via ICQ to FromWithin Send a message via AIM to FromWithin Send a message via MSN to FromWithin Send a message via Yahoo to FromWithin
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
That's as saying that a 68030 50Mhz Amiga running Fusion will perform as a 68030 50Mhz based Macintosh.
Er...but that's what Fusion does. There is no noticable speed decrease. Have you never tried it? The emulation layer looks as if it runs mostly through driver emulation so there is no CPU emulation, meaning that it can run at full speed.
Old 02 March 2004, 22:32   #32
Akira

Probably my machine is shite but I did think it was not 1:1, I'm not saying it's SLOW, it's quite bloody fast, but I thought a 030@50 would be equal to an 030@25 or something like that. Which is quite bloody respectable for software emulation.
Old 03 March 2004, 07:20   #33
adolescent