English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 April 2003, 16:48   #1
utri007
mä vaan

Finally it's possible to get Duke3d to amiga

Does anyone know is there somebody to making amiga port?

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=2585

Duke was originally written with the Watcom 10.0 C/C++ compiler. This code has been updated to allow it to compile under the free version of the Watcom compiler available from their webpage (http://www.openwatcom.org).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 April 2003, 17:14   #2
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Does anyone know is there somebody to making amiga port?
Duke3D contains lots of x86 assembler, and some other nasty dependencies.

There are some people that might want to have a go at porting it, but they'll certainly wait until a Linux(PPC) or MacOS version is available.

A group of Linux coders is currently porting the game to Linux, using the SDL library. It should be far easier to port *this* version to AmigaOS, once it's finished.
Old 08 April 2003, 18:00   #3
Echo

I'll be happy with just a Windows port of this one. With a bit of luck it'll have opengl/direct3d acceleration, higher resolutions, netplay etc. all as standard.

Would be painfully slow on my Amiga hardware - but I'd still give it a shot to see it running

Edit: Until then, you can look forward to Duke Nukem Forever, on the Atari 2600

Last edited by Echo; 08 April 2003 at 18:10.
Old 08 April 2003, 18:23   #4
LaundroMat

Slashdot reported that the Duke3D port to Linux is ready.
Old 08 April 2003, 18:43   #5
Korodny
Zone Friend

@echo:

Quote:
I'll be happy with just a Windows port of this one. With a bit of luck it'll have opengl/direct3d acceleration, higher resolutions, netplay etc. all as standard.
I doubt that you'll see a 3D accelerated version of Duke3D anytime soon. It would probably easier to rewrite the engine from scratch.

@LaundroMat:

Quote:
Slashdot reported that the Duke3D port to Linux is ready.
I know, that's a first step. But it's Linux x86, so all the x86 assembly stuff is still in there.
Old 08 April 2003, 18:51   #6
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
@echo:

I doubt that you'll see a 3D accelerated version of Duke3D anytime soon. It would probably easier to rewrite the engine from scratch.
Well perhaps not immediately no, but surely this is the same situation as when Doom's source was released. OpenGL ports didn't take too long to appear.

Although with Carmack being the perfectionist he is, I admit Doom's code is probably much cleaner.
Old 08 April 2003, 23:34   #7
Drake1009

I think another problem with Duke3D in accelerated graphics is the build engine. The engine wasn't made to work 3D like doom did. I'm not even sure that the source for that is included with the source. It might be using the build engine but that doesn't mean that it is included does it?
Old 09 April 2003, 02:01   #8
th4t1guy

I don't think that should be too much of a problem. Blood was based on the build engine, and a 3dfx patch was made for it. Now, it only worked with the voodoo1 (not voodoo2 or others), and I don't think glide wrappers worked for it. However, the patch wasn't too large, and it still allowed software mode.

As far as I know, the Blood source is owned by Infogrammes, and they've no plans to release it.
Old 09 April 2003, 02:37   #9
Dizzy
Pirate

WHY

You can get an old pc with a voodoo 1 graphic card for around 2 bottle of wine.
Dos for 2 bottle of beer.
Duke3D for a box of candy
Then you could have a god time, so why bother to make an amiga version, you will have to pay a truckload of money to get, and spend a war to get it to work on your amiga ....

Wast of time and money
Old 09 April 2003, 03:16   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Dizzy:

Quote:
You can get an old pc with a voodoo 1 graphic card for around 2 bottle of wine.
Why anybody would want to have such an outdated piece of crap occupying space on his desk is beyond me.

Quote:
Dos for 2 bottle of beer.
DOS is a disease, not an operating system.

Quote:
Then you could have a god time, so why bother to make an amiga version, you will have to pay a truckload of money to get, and spend a war to get it to work on your amiga ....
Nobody asks you to buy an Amiga to play Duke3D. But (and this may be news to you ;-) there are people that already own an Amiga powerful enough to run it (heck, an 68040 should be powerful enough for that particular game) - and these people would like to play it too.

Quote:
Wast of time and money
I assume you won't download the Windows port then and play it on your current machine running WinXP/2000 but buy a ten year old computer instead that even Akira would not want to add to his collection? I don't think so.
Old 09 April 2003, 03:41   #11
Dizzy
Pirate

I do use xp, and I can play Duke on my new machine.

My point was why make an amiga-port version of an almost 10 years old game. WHY, duke was fun to play back in the old days today new 3d shooters are much better.
I don't see the point if you made a amiga version ,how much would this cost to bye (compared to the old system)

Some old dos games are better to play on a old computer....
Old 09 April 2003, 04:44   #12
th4t1guy

To answer Dizzy's question:
Because it's there and it can be done. Why paint a picture if you can make one that looks better using your digital camera?

Quote:
heck, an 68040 should be powerful enough for that particular game
I highly doubt that. It might be powerful enough to run the game, but not to play it at any acceptable speed. The only 3d game that ever ran well on my 040 was Frontier, and that didn't have textures. Duke3d is a lot more cpu intesive than Doom was.
Old 09 April 2003, 04:58   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by th4t1guy
To answer Dizzy's question:
Because it's there and it can be done. Why paint a picture if you can make one that looks better using your digital camera?
Point taken.
They should try to make half-life for amiga-one.
Old 09 April 2003, 06:41   #14
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Dizzy:

Quote:
I do use xp, and I can play Duke on my new machine.
WinXP has a DOS-Emulation good enough to run Duke3D? Didn't know that.

Quote:
My point was why make an amiga-port version of an almost 10 years old game. WHY, duke was fun to play back in the old days
It's still fun (if you like 3D shooters, that is). Compared to more recent offerings, it's graphics look pretty outdated of course, but that doesn't mean it's suddenly a bad game ("Shake it, baby!"). Some people may not have had a PC ten years ago (and the game may even be new to them. And on top of that, it's free (or at least very cheap if you insist on buying the original CD).

Quote:
Some old dos games are better to play on a old computer....
I would agree instantly if we would be talking about old Amiga-, C64-, CPC- etc. titles.

But DOS-games? A PC from 1994 is pretty much the same as your current PC, just a lot slower, with a lot of hardware issues (ISA, anyone?) and the most stupid OS mankind ever invented.

@th4t1guy:

Quote:
I highly doubt that. It might be powerful enough to run the game, but not to play it at any acceptable speed. The only 3d game that ever ran well on my 040 was Frontier, and that didn't have textures. Duke3d is a lot more cpu intesive than Doom was.
I remember playing the 68k MacOS-Version on a friend's 68040/50 Amiga using a Mac-Emulator, was pretty fast IIRC.

Well, maybe the 68k Mac version was crippled. I know the PC Version too, but it's been a while since I saw either of them in action.
Old 09 April 2003, 06:50   #15
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:

But DOS-games? A PC from 1994 is pretty much the same as your current PC, just a lot slower, with a lot of hardware issues (ISA, anyone?) and the most stupid OS mankind ever invented.

Some of the old Lucas games is best played on a pure dos computer (not to fast), also some of the other cool adv game wich never made it to the amiga.
Modern adv game sucks.
Old 09 April 2003, 08:30   #16
Drake1009

DOS was at least a stable OS. And I thought it was nice to work with.

As for the 3D patch. I think the way that Blood and Shadow warrior got their 3D patched it was just a matter of the 3dFx card antialiasing everything.
Old 09 April 2003, 19:04   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
I would agree instantly if we would be talking about old Amiga-, C64-, CPC- etc. titles.

Old 09 April 2003, 20:59   #18
th4t1guy

Quote:
I remember playing the 68k MacOS-Version on a friend's 68040/50 Amiga using a Mac-Emulator, was pretty fast IIRC.
Well, I'm just stating from what I've seen on my a4000. I could never even get Doom to run at a decent speed (although it's been years since i tried). If I remember right, Duke3d is mostly Floating Point math. While some Amiga's have FPU, it's not on par with the x86 chips.

As for the Dos emulation in XP, it only works without sound. To get sound you need a program called vdmsound, and that runs like crap on even the lowest settings and a new machine.

I'd agree with Dizzy about playing old DOS games on an older PC though. I'm not really a big fan of old DOS games, but sometimes you need the real thing if you want to get the most out of it. Sure, the PC had it hardware quirks, but so did every computer. If that's something you don't want to bother with, then there's always consoles.
Old 09 April 2003, 21:23   #19
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

ive got a p4 1.3ghz and vdmsound works great for me on most games
Old 09 April 2003, 22:46   #20
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Twisting:

Knew you'd be pleased :-D

@th4t1guy:

I can't comment on DOOM, as I already had a PPC when I tried the Amiga ports for th first time.

re running old DOS-games:

What about a DOS emulator? Bochs is for free, but for running very old stuff, it should be fast enough if your computer is able to run XP...

And for old Lucasfilm Adventures I'd use ScummVM.
AdSense AdSense