English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 March 2003, 17:03   #1
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas Send a message via Skype™ to trodas
Thumbs down WinUAE and 200Hz PS/2 mouse

WinUAE seems, have very big problems with 200Hz PS/2 mouse rate. I never noticed any problem with WinUAE as long, as my mouse is about 60Hz one.
But since more decent a modern models come, its essential, to WinUAE can work with the faster mouse rates too.

I have no idea how to archieve it, but just two simple and maybe bad toughts:

1) - add a "use PC mouse" option, what use PC mouse W/O allowing any sprites changes whatsover - something like similar option into Shape Shifter...

2) - when WinUAE is active, read the mouse only 50x per second, as standard PAL
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 March 2003, 17:26   #2
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas Send a message via Skype™ to trodas
Unhappy No-one?

...i would like to anyone at least confirm that the bug is there...

Please use included tool and set the mouserate (w2k+ only) to 200Hz and see, what happens with WinUAE.

Thx.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ps2rate.zip (6.4 KB, 299 views)
Old 28 March 2003, 21:22   #3
RCK
Administrator

did someone have one ps2 mouse here ?
I'm even not sure my motherboard still have ps2 port
Old 28 March 2003, 21:52   #4
Drake1009

Heh I use PS2 still, but also use 98 since using my mouse like I want on 2k is a pain in the ass. And seeing as how I use the PC mostly for gaming I don't think that I want to trifle with the mouse every time I want to play a game only to gain a framerate loss and the ability to properly end my game if it freezes.

Wouldn't boosting your mouserate above the thing it's made for just be asking for trouble anyway? There's a reason they started making mice for USB, the reason being the higher rates possible.

Last edited by Drake1009; 28 March 2003 at 21:59.
Old 28 March 2003, 22:11   #5
žane

Quote:
Originally posted by trodas
...i would like to anyone at least confirm that the bug is there...
Confirmed to be a major hindrance by a small number of people (including myself).

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
did someone have one ps2 mouse here ?
I'm even not sure my motherboard still have ps2 port
PS/2 Mice own USB, that's a fact!

PS/2 mouse sampling rate changer for windoze 95/98 (v0.4)
http://www.students.tut.fi/~zibbo/other/
AFAIK no official home page for the NT version.

Mouse Rate Checker
http://tscherwitschke.de/mouseratechecker.html

Blue's News: Mouse Resources
http://www.bluesnews.com/mouse.shtml

Believe it or not Stardock's CursorXP is just as or more effective at increasing the mouse sampling rate.
http://www.stardock.com/products/cursorxp/
Old 28 March 2003, 22:11   #6
hal
where am i ?

ps2 ? i still use a serial mouse
i don't need higher rates
what i haven't gotten addicted to can't hurt me
in fact much of new things with computers seems more made to make you addicted to it rather that be of real use
those things make you uncomfortable in your old computer
(somehow i don't think that is a coincidence )

Last edited by hal; 28 March 2003 at 22:22.
Old 29 March 2003, 14:38   #7
Radgam

I still use a Ps/2 mouse too, and the port next to it for the kboard

Old 29 March 2003, 15:08   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

lol

I just checked my mouse with the checker thing and it's 100Hz!

Yippe!

Now that is a fact i never thought I would ever know (or want to know)
Old 29 March 2003, 17:53   #9
žane

To reassure you trodas, a fix may just be a release away. Toni (WinUAE maintainer and Miracle worker) determined the DirectInput buffer was overflowing, this (at least on my machine) was resulting in choppy cursor movement and loss of button up/down events that would otherwise not occur with your average (60 Hz) mouse.

BTW, you don't need a PS/2 mouse explicitly to wreak an insane sampling rate. I use an Optical USB mouse but attach the included PS/2 adapter to it. =)

Though Hot-plugging PS/2 can be worrisome if you have an older or l-cheapo brand motherboard that doesn't provide sufficient port I/O buffering (yet again with the buffering).

PS. Don't miss the Mouse speed setting in WinUAE's Input tab.
Old 31 March 2003, 01:49   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by Radgam
I still use a Ps/2 mouse too, and the port next to it for the kboard
AOL = me too
Old 15 April 2003, 23:44   #11
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
My new fangly motherboard hates my usb optical mouse so now its fitted into the ps2 port with a little adaptor!

i dont see any difference in its usage connected up like this so im leaving it that way
Old 16 April 2003, 00:58   #12
Echo

PS2 rules. Intellimouse (ball) rules.

I won't change, no siree

Echo (stick in the mud)
Old 27 April 2003, 16:27   #13
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Thumbs up PS2 mouserate problem FIXED!!! Thanks Tomi and others!!!

Thumbs up, dudes! It works with the latest relase very fine now!
Damn good work, everyone!

žane - thanks for checking this one out. It helps me a lot. And dont worry, i not missed the mouse speed. IIRC i mentioned that i played with this settings from beginning. (ok, i checked - nooo, i did not mention that =8-( ) I found, that for my 200Hz sapleratechecking it optiomal to use (into AOS) mouse speed 2 with acceleration and sensitivity (WinUAE) to 80, instead of default 100, what produce too fast movement at AOS speed 2, and too slow at speed 1 - and even too slow at speed 2 W/O accelerating... Well, maybe i can experimnt with speed 3, but...
Forget it. It works. All i need and everything i ever wanted!

BTW, if you are about a bughunter, check what happens, when you disable all/at least there of the four DF0: drives. Quess what - the damn slow boot, i experienced from start - hehe. Dunno why, i guess that AOS dont like disabled DFx: or what? Well, i can disable it on Amiga too and things working fine, so, the emulation has a problem there, hmmm... At least i think. But its importance are pretty close to zero, heheh, since it can be easily "fixed" - dont disabling the DFx: things =:-)))))

Anyway, to the rest of us, wondering about why have a 200Hz mouse sampling rate.
Just simple - TWO reasons.

First - smooth mouse movement - and i like that, its like on Amiga and chipset screen (sadly, the RTG craps dont use their but an chipset vblank, so the mouse is never smooth again anymore, except when you use a hack on p96 called vhack and... =8-))))))

Second - gameplay. WTF? Dont worry, i show you. Lets start with little tech. During online gaming, like a CounterStrike (CS later), you face enemy. You hold a fire, hoping to kill the bastard, but you died and he walk away unharmed.
WTF is doing into the CS there?! Well, you lose, thats obivous, but why? First, check your ping. If yours are 10x worser that what your enemy got, seek for better ISP, quit downloading before playing CS, and such things...
If they are about equal, where can be the problem, that your bullets dont get into CS play?
Well, PC mouse sample the mousebuttons into their four wires at some rate. PS2 rate then. When you have 2x or 3x worser sampling rate that your enemy, it can happens (and it realy do) that your click, even happen at the same time or faster, are usualy processed later that yours enemy one, due to low sampling rate, and therefore you lose. Pretty unfair, dont you think so?

So, thats why is important to keep the samplingrate pretty high - and as i checked, even when my lame skill into CS did not get better, it manytimes now happens, that i dominate whole server, killing alone everyone from other team
Hell, its just a few secrets like that and even lamer can rule
AdSense AdSense