English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 March 2003, 04:17   #21
Amigaboy

Take 2

Yet again, it's beatable. Many things I missed out. I'll keep my score at this. If anyone beats it, I'll try again

Belgy: Fwend! You need stew to win
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hadoken.gif
Views:	389
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	4896  

AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 March 2003, 04:30   #22
oldpx

lol@hadoken.gif

(and lol @ stupid vbulletin)

Old 17 March 2003, 07:09   #23
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
>>>>>>>>>>>>runs away
*me throws Competition Pro 5000 towards Dastardly's head

Anyway, yes, I'll snap the screen with my webcam thingy. It will look black n white though, one of my bloody TVs does not take PAL-M signals. Anyway, first, I have to delete that shoddy JST Turrican 2 install which crashes after a few seconds of play. I have to transfer the WHD version to my 1200 and I'll be ready.

Screw JST!
Old 17 March 2003, 09:29   #24
Tim Janssen

Evil grin Spoiler alert

Errr... excuse me, but it is very,very easy to get a maximum score in Turrican II.

In Level 1-1 when you move to the right until the point where you must jump up the mountainrocks, you find a nest with killer-bees constantly flying out. Unlimited killer-bees will appear until you destroy the nest.
Now grab your joystick, move your joystick to create a 45 degrees angle electric beam, hold down the firebutton with some ductape, get some coffee, do some shopping and return 2 or 3 hours later. Et voila: you have earned a mega highscore (unless you score higher than 9,999,999; the counter will then reset to zero ).

A better challenge would be declaring the one with most time and lives left and having the highest score the winner.
Old 17 March 2003, 09:45   #25
Akira

TIM! YOU SPOILER!

By the way that would be a cheat IMO.

This challenge is over, it's been destroyed
Old 17 March 2003, 10:02   #26
Echo

Don't worry, I had that idea when I saw it. They stop coming out after about 40-50.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:14   #27
Tim Janssen

Red face Oops, I thought anyone knew this trick.

...Nevertheless I think a better challenge would be declaring the one with most time and lives left and having the highest score the winner. This competition isn't lost.

The killer-bee trick has been used before in a competition - 12 years ago in gamesmagazine Zzap!
Zzap! featured a monthly section called 'Scorelord' in which readers could sent in their highscores achieved in games. When the level 1-1 demo-world of Turrican 2 was released, highscores with six zeros where sent in. The Zzap staff found it out and closed competition.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:35   #28
Drake1009

Did the demo world on the Amiga have the whole world or only a portion? I remember playing the C64 demo of the game. And that ended after you fought the first metal dragon like thing (underground). I played it so much back then that I found a secret way to get far up in the sky and over the thing without getting beaten back by the wind. That way I could play further in the level as the level only stopped when you killed the snake thing.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:48   #29
Tim Janssen

Arrow It was a C64 demo

The 1-1 world demo was released on C64 and distributed with Zzap!. I remember from the demo it ended once you had beaten the stomping robot (the one with the falling pikes in the cave). Yes, you could access other parts of the level in a specific way. I remember I turned into a gyroscope (spinning wheel), heavily bounced into walls and all of a sudden moved through solid rock to a higher level which let me access the last part of the level.
I loved this 'bug'.
Old 17 March 2003, 12:48   #30
Drake1009

The demo didn't let me get to the bounding robot.

But it was using the gyroscope, but not going through walls, it was jumping up on the platforms far over your head where you start and doing some special jumping you could get to the corridor which was in the top of the level.
Old 17 March 2003, 15:47   #31
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

lol@Akira

Ive just tested Tims Janssens theory and at the first hive you come to the bees are NOT infinite as Echo rightly says. Unless there are hives later in the level that do spawn infinite bees, this challenge still stands.

Amigaboy is the current leader
Old 17 March 2003, 22:50   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
lol@Akira

Ive just tested Tims Janssens theory and at the first hive you come to the bees are NOT infinite as Echo rightly says. Unless there are hives later in the level that do spawn infinite bees, this challenge still stands.

Amigaboy is the current leader
I think you'll find the bees ARE infinate, shoot all the bees and leave the hive, now walk away from the hive, and go back, you'll see BEES coming out again..

Below is my score, using the bees method (So this score is null & void!!)

---

It isn't as much as Amigaboys, but I will PROVE the bees with a 500,000 points if need be!!

Last edited by BippyM; 01 November 2008 at 18:07.
Old 17 March 2003, 22:52   #33
Echo

So that's how you got that insane score Amigaboy, you dirty rotten scoundrel

p.s. best I can do now without the bees thing is 125,800.
Old 17 March 2003, 23:17   #34
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
So that's how you got that insane score Amigaboy, you dirty rotten scoundrel
To settle this, I propose a journey around the world in 80 days

Old 17 March 2003, 23:21   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

Proof #1

Last edited by BippyM; 01 November 2008 at 18:08.
Old 17 March 2003, 23:23   #36
BippyM
Global Moderator

Proof #2

Last edited by BippyM; 01 November 2008 at 18:08.
Old 17 March 2003, 23:26   #37
Echo

I was gonna propose a speedrunning compo on this same level, but either I'm totally crap at it, or it simply isn't a good level for that.

The other thing I wanted to do was record it all too, but of course recording AVI slows my framerate down to about 30 instead of 50. Making the whole thing easier to do than it should be.

Have the UAE developers ever considered an internal record/playback system? That would seriously rock. Speculator can do this, but obviously that's a far easier platform to emulate in the first place.
Old 17 March 2003, 23:31   #38
T.R.Schmidt

Mmh. My highest whith clearing the hives only *once* is 156.300, but since I didnīt have auto-fire I missed many minor enemies, that destroy themselves or fly out of the screen and disappear.

Guess I have to retry with my real Amiga and trusty Competition pro Joystick!

Also, many times, when jumping up you see enemies above, but after youīve fallen back down, the also disappear. Tricky

Funny facts:
-Hopping on Walkers brings double points
-Blowing Walkers up with mines (not direct hits) donīt count

Old 18 March 2003, 00:24   #39
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Ok I see now that the hives are in fact infinite after all. This challenge still stands but I expect people to only shoot one load of bees and the hive, and not use this dodgy (cheating) method.

The fact is that this challenge was open to cheating from the start with the possibility of 'doctored' screen grabs, but I know I can trust you lot right?

With the non-cheating barrrstad method Amigaboy is in the lead.
Old 18 March 2003, 17:27   #40
Akira

ISn't there any Amiga games with "Time Attack" modes? Would be perfect for a compo.
I could only propose Nipper vs The Kats
AdSense AdSense