EAB3 skin Register
English Amiga Board


support.Other>Asking for TFMX file format specs in order to implement it in a player
keropi 12:29 26 February 2018
Hiya!

is there a place that holds documentation about the TFMX file format so that it can be potentially implemented to Electronscape's awesome SIDbox (SID/MOD/YM) player?

check out this preview video, it's just amazing

[ Show youtube player ]

So please if anyone has any format info / programming guides do drop a link to the thread, who wouldn't like the Turrican soundtracks playble on this device?

Thanks in advance for any info/help!
Advertisement:


alexh 12:40 26 February 2018
Hi Keropi, long time no see.

The details are referenced here https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/TFMX
alexh 13:07 26 February 2018
I found the last version of the C code for native TFMX player

http://www.boomerangsworld.de/cms/patches/tfmxplay.html
meynaf 13:25 26 February 2018
I'm afraid it is not that easy.

First, there is the TFMX-SONG (aka TFMX or TFMX Pro) format, and the COSO (COmpressed SOng) format, itself having sub-formats (COSO, MMME, etc). One can be (more or less) converted into the other.

Second, TFMX in itself has many variants which may look very similar and difficult to identify.
There is Amiga 4 channel, Amiga 7 channel, and Atari ST synth formats, which all work differently. There even exists some variants for Atari with samples (e.g. Wings of Death), which some players will identify as Amiga files and play wrongly.

In addition some details changed from version to version, without touching the file format much (if any) and some songs will play wrong if this is not taken into account. For example, musics from Dragonflight and Amberstar are incompatible (some effect differs). Musics from Monkey Island usually fail as well.

In short, TFMX is a complete mess and no single program can play them all without errors.

If you really want to go into this, good luck. The best source for TFMX replayers might be the Wanted Team page.
alexh 13:58 26 February 2018
Originally Posted by meynaf:
The best source for TFMX replayers might be the Wanted Team page.
At first look these appear to be players for the Amiga written in assembly. Not suitable for this project I don't think. (Unless it uses an emulation core like UADE compatible with Amiga players)

I think TFMX-play v1.1.7 will give him what he wants. A platform independent player which plays *most* of the Huelsbeck written TFMX tunes. (Amiga 4-channel and Amiga 7-channel)
meynaf 14:33 26 February 2018
Originally Posted by alexh:
At first look these appear to be players for the Amiga written in assembly. Not suitable for this project I don't think. (Unless it uses an emulation core like UADE compatible with Amiga players)
Not suitable directly indeed, but nevertheless a good source not only for replayers, but also for the modules themselves.


Originally Posted by alexh:
I think TFMX-play v1.1.7 will give him what he wants. A platform independent player which plays *most* of the Huelsbeck written TFMX tunes. (Amiga 4-channel and Amiga 7-channel)
I've never seen a multi-platform player performing well for more than a handful tunes.
Even pure Amiga players choke on most of them. They seem to play fine, but then we run the game, listen to the music, and say holy crap...
keropi 15:53 26 February 2018
Hey alexh glad to see you again, it's been long yes

I have forwarded the info to Electronscape, thanks so much for the help guys!
If someone else has more info/specs please don't hesitate to add it since it will improve the chances of the format's implementation
alexh 16:27 26 February 2018
Originally Posted by meynaf:
I've never seen a multi-platform player performing well for more than a handful tunes. They seem to play fine, but then we run the game, listen to the music, and say holy crap...
It is funny you say that because while googling for tfmxplay I found numerous projects which use the underlying player. Each with changelogs saying they had made bugfixes for certain songs. Non of which were pushed back (probably because the project had been abandoned).

e.g. TFMX Plugin v1.24 for Winamp2 by Peter Pawlowski
meynaf 16:52 26 February 2018
Originally Posted by alexh:
It is funny you say that because while googling for tfmxplay I found numerous projects which use the underlying player. Each with changelogs saying they had made bugfixes for certain songs. Non of which were pushed back (probably because the project had been abandoned).

e.g. TFMX Plugin v1.24 for Winamp2 by Peter Pawlowski
If you make "bugfix" for certain songs, you may break other songs.
But it can just go inconspicuous because nobody knows or remembers how the songs are really supposed to sound
Electronscape 22:35 01 September 2021
Originally Posted by keropi:
Hiya!

is there a place that holds documentation about the TFMX file format so that it can be potentially implemented to Electronscape's awesome SIDbox (SID/MOD/YM) player?

check out this preview video, it's just amazing

[ Show youtube player ]

So please if anyone has any format info / programming guides do drop a link to the thread, who wouldn't like the Turrican soundtracks playble on this device?

Thanks in advance for any info/help!

Hi guys, thank you for helping out with the format location! With the files found online i was able to get inspiration from the TFMX. As such, Sidbox now has TFMX player, (its still under development, but most songs appear to be playing)



Page generated in 0.12426 seconds with 12 queries