English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 January 2018, 12:24   #1
Mclane
Old fart!

Directx 11 and display items, help please..

Rather than searching for answers I started a new thread because there's been so many instances of changes in the latest beta of DirectX11 implementation that I didn't want old unreliable info.

My PC is an OLD i7 3.4 with a Nvidia GTX530 OLD board, its pre Directx shaders I think and runs badly on newer games, awful frame rates. I have DirectX 11 installed via the service pack 2 update (checked with dxdiag.

Oh, small detail (oops) I'm running Win 7 X64..

So the question is do I use Directx 11 in the Misc panel, if yes do I use hardware or software?

My other question is from the Display panel, I see there's a few choices in the interlace section, do I use frames, fields or fields plus?

Its just that I like to use bilinear in the filter panel and I notice the effect is affected by the choice in the frames and fields panel.

I don't mind losing the Bilinear IF other choices are displaying a more true picture. In reality I like a softer picture but not been a fan of scanlines too much.

Any help appreciated, being honest, most of the tech about DirectX goes over my head so I'm asking the pro's for the best help in running as true to a real Amiga as possible on this worn out machine

Thanks

Paul..
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 January 2018, 12:57   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
Rather than searching for answers I started a new thread because there's been so many instances of changes in the latest beta of DirectX11 implementation that I didn't want old unreliable info.

My PC is an OLD i7 3.4 with a Nvidia GTX530 OLD board, its pre Directx shaders I think and runs badly on newer games, awful frame rates. I have DirectX 11 installed via the service pack 2 update (checked with dxdiag.

Oh, small detail (oops) I'm running Win 7 X64..

So the question is do I use Directx 11 in the Misc panel, if yes do I use hardware or software?
Never use software, unless asked. It is only for debugging and testing.

GTX530 should be fully hardware compatible. (It needs to be REALLY old GPU to not be D3D11 hardware level 9_1 compatible)

Quote:
My other question is from the Display panel, I see there's a few choices in the interlace section, do I use frames, fields or fields plus?
Frames = interlace is shown as progressive 25fps. (Like most LCD TVs show it) Ugly artifacts in horizontal scrolling, looks "slow".

Fields = 50fps update, alternate fields. Safe default, full framerate, but also no flickering.

Fields+ = same as above, opposite field blanked. Works and looks (mostly) like real interlace mode.

Quote:
Its just that I like to use bilinear in the filter panel and I notice the effect is affected by the choice in the frames and fields panel.
Any kind of scaling/filtering can make fields more uglier due to more higher contrast difference between "scanlines".
Old 23 January 2018, 13:03   #3
Mclane
Old fart!

Thank you Toni..
Old 02 February 2018, 06:48   #4
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclane View Post
I'm with you here...dredging though really old threads can be challenging...and proposed old ideas. Not always so helpful to retain. But, there isn't anyone going through all Web Pages on the Net to clean things. Hehe...let alone this one.

I do wonder about the "there is been" part of your message.

[/QUOTE]My PC is an OLD i7 3.4 with a Nvidia GTX530 OLD board, its pre Directx shaders I think and runs badly on newer games, awful frame rates. I have DirectX 11 installed via the service pack 2 update (checked with dxdiag. Oh, small detail (oops) I'm running Win 7 X64..[/QUOTE]

I read this part and chuckled to myself. I have an i7 930 overclocked some, and it's very, very speedy and it not OLD. It's older, but not O-L-D. Depends on definition, I suppose and the planet you live on (really!). A TRS80 Monitor is O-L-D to me, and and I'm around your age. I also have an nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, and your 530 isn't that far off...so it should be doing very well for several years to come..as my 780 will. If your system is doing poorly with newer games, something is not right..some how. But I'm not going to debug it, I will suggest you look into it. With lowest settings is should do very well. With medium, it should rock alright. Your Windows version and DirectX are noticed from your description of Service Pack. ;-)

Smiling.

Massive appreciation (I'm not into gratitude at all) to Toni for his continual passionate efforts to get the 68040/060 to be like the originals as well as so much more. (More donations soon..)
AdSense AdSense