English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 December 2017, 10:40   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Copying a lot of files slowing down to crawl speed?

This could have gone also to the Hardware forum, so please move the topic, if necessary.

Just finishing my (real) A600's hdd in Winuae, namely a microSD card (Three partitions, all PFS3, 32Gb). Using the A4000 profile with 8MB of chip and 32MB of Z3 fast ram. Running the latest ClassicWB Full. I'm copying ~5000 iff-files (for Tinylauncher) in Dopus from a Windows drive to one of the PFS3 partitions. Here's what happens:

Copying starts with tens of files/second gradually slowing down to 1 file/~2 seconds -> taking ages... :/

I first thought it has something to do with Winuae -> restarted -> same result. If I start the copying again, it's dead slow from the beginning.

Then I thought it might have something to do with the sd card reader/usb driver of Windows. Rebooted -> same result. Dead slow from, the beginning.

Then it occurred to me, that it has something to do with the *target partition* :O Buffers/something else? The A600, where the hdd is going has the following specs:

A600 1.1 recapped
Furia 33Mhz (no fpu) 9,5Mb fast
2Mb chip

How do I fix this?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 December 2017, 12:13   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Increasing buffers of destination partition (addbuffers dhx: 1000 or something like that) should help. Make sure your config has lots of free memory.

There is no caching (except very small and simple one) in WinUAE and Windows won't cache anything that does direct drive access.
Old 29 December 2017, 12:17   #3
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Increasing buffers of destination partition (addbuffers dhx: 1000 or something like that) should help. Make sure your config has lots of free memory.

There is no caching (except very small and simple one) in WinUAE and Windows won't cache anything that does direct drive access.
Ok, thanks Toni Btw, as my A600 only has ~10 megs of ram, I cannot use very large buffers. Does the "lack of buffers" affect the read speed also? I mean If I just leave the system as it is (the files are now all copied and working...), does the drive performance suffer in the real A600 (ide)?
Old 29 December 2017, 12:26   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Use faster config temporarily. JIT is recommended too in this case. This mainly affects reading and especially writing in UAE.
Old 30 December 2017, 09:20   #5
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Use faster config temporarily. JIT is recommended too in this case. This mainly affects reading and especially writing in UAE.
Ok, thanks Actually I meant that, is the amount of ram/buffers a problem regarding my real A600 setup? If when I have a partition with ~5000 files and only ~10 megs of ram, should the computer be "responsive" or would it be dog slow?
AdSense AdSense