English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 22 February 2019, 12:21   #361
Cowcat

@trixter

Cool. Some previous 8 versions "out there" had some net issues by the way, so ....

But anyway I'm already cleaning some stuff, but that will go to github.
Old 22 February 2019, 20:19   #362
BULI

Both version (normal and 603) works great on my Sonnet, and both give little speed up (now I have 27FPS in demo four, before was 26,7FPS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
Great- thanx
Old 27 February 2019, 03:41   #363
grelbfarlk

Does anyone know of a way to loop demo playing? Quake2 I can set timedemo=1 and hit tilde and it will loop through all of the demos until either a crash or out of memory error occurs. Just wondering if there's some way of doing it in Quake3 for a stress test.
Old 27 February 2019, 09:53   #364
trixster
Guru Meditating

try putting this into autoexec.cfg

set loop "timedemo 1 ; demo <demoname> ; set nextdemo vstr loop"

Load the game and then in the console type "vstr loop"
Old 04 March 2019, 19:50   #365
BULI

Now, on new Q3_beta8 (603version) I have 27.8 FPS in demo four (r_picmip 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
And I made mistake, because I have 26.7 FPS in demo four from Q3
Old 04 March 2019, 22:18   #366
Cowcat

Quote:
on new Q3_beta8 (603version) I have 27.8 FPS in demo four
That's the idea: Some of those G3 are enhanced 603e.

On github there are new versions with small updates too.
Old 02 August 2019, 19:40   #367
Cowcat

A new one:

Movie playing and screen mode changes on the fly for vertex arrays supposedly working.

r_primitives to be used 1 (default) and 0 (removed old slow render primitive 3).

Be aware of changing to screens bigger than 640 -> a bogus crash similar to those with OpenArena or bigger mods when using primitives 0 (faster for those) is still present. Probably an issue with buffers and full lightmap mode than I don't know how to address.
Attached Files
File Type: lha Q3_beta9_wos.lha (726.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 03 August 2019, 00:54   #368
Hedeon
PPC Hacker

Thanks! Going to try it out this weekend!
Old 03 August 2019, 11:46   #369
trixster
Guru Meditating

Cool! I’ll try this today too
Old 07 August 2019, 04:16   #370
grelbfarlk

Works quite well. 42.8 FPS@640x480 with Ragnarok/Voodoo 3 with my demo. Much easier to configure for the first time now.
Old 07 August 2019, 09:05   #371
k0x

Cool! Thank you! :---)
Old 07 August 2019, 13:32   #372
Cowcat

Thanks guys

Could be some issues depending of what was in a previous q3config.cfg because every new full compile could reset some variables. Better to back the old config and leave the game to do a new one.

New version testing has a "dangerous" command to clip some of the area triangles used the same way as Blitz, Q2 or Hexen2 GL have.

Just to point out about the bug with vertexarrays when restarting the renderer:

Here in the context creation of minigl source:

Code:
GLboolean MGLInitContext(GLcontext context)
{
        context->ArrayPointer.verts = (UBYTE *)&context->VertexBuffer->v.x;
	context->ArrayPointer.vertexstride = sizeof(MGLVertex);
	context->ArrayPointer.vertexmode = W3D_VERTEX_F_F_D;

// Set vertexarrays properly - Cowcat
	Set_W3D_VertexPointer(context->w3dContext, (void *)context->ArrayPointer.verts, sizeof(MGLVertex), W3D_VERTEX_F_F_D, 0);
Properly ot not just a macro from vertexarrays.h fixed it. One year and a half to figure out a simple stupid little thing.
Old 21 August 2019, 11:54   #373
Cowcat

New releases on github: https://github.com/AmigaPorts/ioq3

Added "r_mintriarea" that works the same way as other QAmiga engines with this formula : screenwidth * screenheight/75000 (rounded). Try "4" for a 640/480 screen or higher values. Disabled by default with "0". Needs reload of render (snd_restart for example). Dangerous

Windowmode now acts like whatever other PC version out there: Mouse pointer is disabled only when console is used.

The old slow rendering (primitives 3) is activated again: Never use other values than "1" (default - faster for Q3), "0" or "3".

68k version is definitely wrong since the beginning: Bots don't usually move around doing their thing and they only activate when you confront them . Movie playing minigl hack doesn't work for WinUAE as I checked out.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:16   #374
BULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Does it slow to 1fps in big areas?

I noticed that, if is big arena and low size of graphic memory (workbench in big resolution with backdrops etc) games like Quake, and Smokin'Guns terrible slow down (about 8 or 7 FPS).
Maybe somethink like this is problem.
Old 05 November 2019, 15:59   #375
Cowcat

Quote:
Does it slow to 1fps in big areas?
This is out of context: The full question is about using no mips. Not recomended. Mips var is on "1" by default and is represented on System Menu - Texture Detail slide half way up.

Slowness depends big time on memory used on textures and the type of maps the modders compiled. Smoking Guns is the one more problematic not only for Amiga: The Morphos port suffers a lot if you have 32mg or less videoram (a toggle for 256k max_texture_size is applied in this case just as minigl amiga has) and you're more or less ok playing some of the more demanding maps.

Playing SG MOS port with greyscale enabled is very fluid as a byproduct of less memory used. Unfortunately the original amiga warp3d library has some problems with luminance modes and a workaround done in newer undisclosed versions of Q3 or SG still uses the full RGBA sizes so no benefit at this time.

Maps in SG are a bitch and Q3 engines are also known to be slower on big areas: Talk about calculate foliage terrains far away. An example of what happens when no attention to compiling maps can be seen for example with HexenGL2: The demo version has a "broken/slow" map for the first level but on the official game is ok.
Old 05 November 2019, 18:27   #376
trixster
Guru Meditating

Yes, using picmip 0 works ok with a video card with more memory than the voodoo 3. Picmip 0 might work ok or just about ok if more memory is freed for the voodoo, maybe by lowering workbench resolution and colour depth..?
Old 05 November 2019, 19:29   #377
Cowcat

Quote:
lowering workbench resolution and colour depth..?
Maybe for big mods texture memory use but I guess is not gonna make it suddenly faster.

Smokin' on MOS also benefited from lowering workbench resolution AND disabling DisplayEngine: Without that, there was a lot of glitches and crawling framerates but seems to be ok now with 3.12 OS version. The Amiga port just goes slow (even the undisclosed gcc port).

Both SG versions "suffer" from "pointing at large area" syndrome but is not so heavy on the normal Q3 game.

There's a cvar for depth (r_colorbits) that theoretically should work for 15bit screens. Should be set on console and reloading with vid_restart: Don't trust menu settings because they are geared towards PC GFX stuff that are bypassed by Amiga version.

Edit "suddenly faster" meaning for the Voodoo gfx. Other cards would work better but I have to change minigl or some cvar to allow more texture memory.
Old 08 November 2019, 10:09   #378
BULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Maybe for big mods texture memory use but I guess is not gonna make it suddenly faster.

Exaclly, with more video ram is not faster, but when you have to low video ram then game slow down especialy in "pointing at large area"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Both SG versions "suffer" from "pointing at large area" syndrome but is not so heavy on the normal Q3 game.

Question, is turn off/on texture compression will help on Amiga's ports (will be faster, will eat less video ram)?
Old 08 November 2019, 15:46   #379
Cowcat

Quote:
turn off/on texture compression
There's no texture compression for Classic: No support in old minigl also no support in Voodoo 3 if I'm correct. Even with a card with supported compression my guess is that a warp3d library upgrade would be needed, a thing that is "impossible". Of course all opengl calls to t-compression are disabled on source although appearing on menu settings: This is something Q3 loads from the paks (qvm's).
Old 09 November 2019, 10:05   #380
BULI

Ok. Thanks