English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 July 2017, 22:26   #1
esc

Difficulty in 3rd party ROM replacement, like kickflash or deneb's boot feature?

Hey guys,

Looks like there are a lot of amazing developments in the community lately. The Vampire cards, Terrible Fire accelerators, much of Kipper's work, adapting the Sonnet...I'm curious, would anyone out there be interested in trying to create some sort of ROM replacement?

I remember using my deneb and being able to construct a custom boot rom inside, and boot from that (instead of onboard ROMs). Wouldn't it be cool to be able to make custom boot ROMs in UAE, copy them to an SD card (for example) and plop the SD card into the ROM replacement zorro card?

How tough would something like this be?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 July 2017, 22:51   #2
talybont

The Vampire has a custom ROM. I don't know whether or not you can flash it yourself.
Old 09 July 2017, 02:06   #3
idrougge

There are already ROM zorro cards, but they were never much of a success. Most people with Zorro slots fill them up with other cards.
Old 09 July 2017, 21:16   #4
esc

Yeah, I recognize they haven't been terribly popular in the past, but I'd still be curious how tough it would be to make one. Nowadays we have so many workbench updates, but doing rom reboots sucks. This would be a fun way to easily (without having to burn custom ROMs each time) get specific things like math libs, new icon libs, etc., into your initial startup process.
AdSense AdSense