English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 30 June 2017, 05:00   #81
TrashyMG
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Vermont - USA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
How about a fair compromise that should satisfy everyone.
1) Refer to the 68080 as a 68EC080 or 68EC080 w/MMX+HT+Blast Processing
2) Any time speed measurements are mentioned say it's Really Fast™!
3) Any time speed measurements are mentioned as a comparison to vintage Amiga Accelerators say up to one quarter as fast as an 060 in Floating Point performance.
4) Say whattya gonna do up a PCI bus on an A500? No Way that's happening-everyone just be cool and not let Elbox see this.
5) Never mention Apollo core-at all-anymore. Just say Vampire 2 for A600/A500. Just so we don't hear "Oh well we meant that on some future Apollo core project from the Apollo team-no we don't mean the ACT accelerators we mean on the Phoenix board-no not the A1000 motherboard replacement either, we're talking about something that doesn't resemble anything that is currently shipping or has ever shipped to Amiga end users."
6) Bask in the peace and stability of intellectually honest Amiga forums.
So did you not see the prior post the mods put up about inflammatory remarks? Because this is what causes inflammatory remarks.
TrashyMG is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 June 2017, 08:54   #82
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 9,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashyMG View Post
So did you not see the prior post the mods put up about inflammatory remarks? Because this is what causes inflammatory remarks.
Exactly

Well done grelbfarlk; you're the next winner and are taking a 2 week vacation!!!

Please all, note that we are not messing around anymore. Think before you post otherwise...
DamienD is online now  
Old 30 June 2017, 09:44   #83
DamienD
Global Moderator

DamienD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London / Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 9,253
@Akira: you say "NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!" but tell me how your follow up diagram is helping the situation?!?

I was that close to giving you a week ban also, next time I won't hesitate...
DamienD is online now  
Old 30 June 2017, 16:06   #84
emufan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: #DrainTheSwamp
Posts: 3,776
great, well done. mission accomplished, Djole501. Gunnar will award you with a special edition of the standalone,
for silencing a whole forum over his intel killer core.

name someone dumb and even dumber over a dispute vs. being sarcastic should be a difference.
what one may consider as sacrasm is Blast Processing / Really Fast™.
everything else is what has been told to us.

so this is not allowed anymore?
thanks again DjoleMINION501
emufan is offline  
Old 30 June 2017, 16:19   #85
Robbie
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southbourne
Posts: 63
@Akira for what it's worth, i quite enjoyed your diagram
Robbie is offline  
Old 30 June 2017, 16:31   #86
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 17,934
And I think the banned dude's post had that goal, Robbie. I certainly did not mean to attack anyone by replying to it, if I need to clarify.

When there are a bunch of people fighting over something and things are escalating quickly into personal attacks and shit like that, some of us try to de-escalate by trying to relax and make a joke. Have none of you ever done that in real life to try to get two people to stop a nasty argument or worse?
Also this has been usually a good way to cool things of f at EAB and keeping the moderator team free of having to do nasty shit like what is happening now. The board has a history of being very well self-policed by its own users.

I've been on EAB for 16 years, this board has always had sensible people in it that know when to stop the ball for a second and make a joke so things don't turn into an unpleasant shitstorm. We jest with each other and can appreciate sarcastic humor.

Most of the people involved in creating all this Apollo unpleasantness in the boards are users who have been here for a relatively (or extremely) short time and clearly do not share this kind of vibe we all had and why many come to EAB instead of other more "serious" boards. Losing that would be tragic.
Akira is offline  
Old 30 June 2017, 17:30   #87
matthey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And I think the banned dude's post had that goal, Robbie. I certainly did not mean to attack anyone by replying to it, if I need to clarify.
Grelbfarlk may have just been cracking an ill timed joke too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
When there are a bunch of people fighting over something and things are escalating quickly into personal attacks and shit like that, some of us try to de-escalate by trying to relax and make a joke. Have none of you ever done that in real life to try to get two people to stop a nasty argument or worse?
Also this has been usually a good way to cool things off at EAB and keeping the moderator team free of having to do nasty shit like what is happening now. The board has a history of being very well self-policed by its own users.
This is why I considered it better to be tolerant and allow some abuse rather than get the mods involved. Personal attacks are not productive but it also becomes more difficult to communicate when tiptoeing around subjects or comments that may be judged to be unacceptable. A few poor judgments by mods and the forum could have the feel of oppressive censorship.
matthey is offline  
Old 30 June 2017, 17:37   #88
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 17,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
A few poor judgments by mods and the forum could have the feel of oppressive censorship.
And my issue here that I do want to fight for is against that.
You can't blame the mods. This is unusual traffic and exchange at EAB. They do what they can. And I don't want themn to be forced into turning EAB into a censorship police state. It never was and it should never be.

Now if we can all de-escalate the sensitivity down like ten thousand points, that would be appreciated. We can all do our part. Also reduce the insensitivity. Calling people names and singling-out a person in our comments can be avoided too. You can discuss tehcnically all you want, but when things start gearing towards blaming someone for this and that, that will NOT end well. Stop.
Akira is offline  
Old 30 June 2017, 17:48   #89
Gorf
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Munich/Bavaria
Posts: 162
For what it is worth:

I did not want to start a flame war here and it was not my intention to heat up the discussion. But I can see, that my posts did encourage others to do so.
So it was partly me, who turned the mood of this thread from good to bad.

I promise to pay more attention to this in future.

And now for something completely different ...
Gorf is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 08:10   #90
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 384
To be fair, shouldn't both sides of the argument be banned?

Those who promote a product which can't live up to its datasheet, and those mocking said product with satire.


Personally I rather have no user bans or deleted/moved posts at all. A forum thread is not an "untidy desk" that needs cleaning, we are mostly adults here and the forum software can handle long threads, no cleaning required.

Last edited by modrobert; 01 July 2017 at 08:19.
modrobert is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 08:38   #91
Overflow
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
To be fair, shouldn't both sides of the argument be banned?

Those who promote a product which can't live up to its datasheet, and those mocking said product with satire.


Personally I rather have no user bans or deleted/moved posts at all. A forum thread is not an "untidy desk" that needs cleaning, we are mostly adults here and the forum software can handle long threads, no cleaning required.
The tendecy of these particular threads is getting worse, and when its up to, for the most part ONE moderator, to moderate a whole forum, then at one point that moderator has to actually follow thru with his threats. He has repeatedly pleaded with the users for weeks now, and it fell on deaf ears. So you would call us adults, but the evidence is on the contrary.
Overflow is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 08:47   #92
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
The tendecy of these particular threads is getting worse, and when its up to, for the most part ONE moderator, to moderate a whole forum, then at one point that moderator has to actually follow thru with his threats. He has repeatedly pleaded with the users for weeks now, and it fell on deaf ears. So you would call us adults, but the evidence is on the contrary.
Well, if you are old enough to dish out criticism, then you are able to take some in return. Have you ever watched the British parliament in a debate?

A working compromise could be moving the whole thread to "OT - General" or similar when the debate heats up, since many times these threads tend to go "off topic". That's fine IMHO.
modrobert is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 08:56   #93
Overflow
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Well, if you are old enough to dish out criticism, then you are able to take some in return. Have you ever watched the British parliament in a debate?

A working compromise could be moving the whole thread to "OT - General" or similar when the debate heats up, since many times these threads tend to go "off topic". That's fine IMHO.
Thats up to the original poster of a thread. If its NOT in the OFF TOPIC section, then posters should treat it ON TOPIC.

And the whole "Sides" argument is an artifical argument/construct that only applies if one has very strong monetary intrest. Given the amount of workhours vs return that doesnt apply in this case for sure.

And the British Parliament is filled with people that are groomed to do a trick and phoney show (mispelling intended), as there are strong monetary intrest involved. They WANT to argue, or as I see it, throw red herrings at the electorate.

Anyhow; Im breaking my own point by going OFF TOPIC, so this is my last post on this.
Overflow is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 09:17   #94
modrobert
old bearded fool

modrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangkok
Age: 50
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Thats up to the original poster of a thread. If its NOT in the OFF TOPIC section, then posters should treat it ON TOPIC.
I agree with this, but there should be evidence of spamming or similar destructive tendencies before banning someone for commenting. Granted, these are temporary bans.

Quote:
And the whole "Sides" argument is an artifical argument/construct that only applies if one has very strong monetary intrest. Given the amount of workhours vs return that doesnt apply in this case for sure.
If this was true there wouldn't be an argument to begin with.
modrobert is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 09:54   #95
Seiya
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashyMG View Post
Gunnar is working on things that may not fit on the current Vampire boards, also nothing is stopping another company to use his core for other projects.
his apollo-core works only on vampire fpga.
What other 68k FPGA project could be use his core?
MiniMig? Mist? FPGA Arcade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Gorf, the symbol "~" before the 250 MHz 68040 means that it's "roughly equivalent to," not that it is equal to. So in that sense, it's correct.
no it's mean about 250 Mhz (so 200, 220, 210 Mhz)..

Last edited by Seiya; 01 July 2017 at 10:02.
Seiya is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 11:30   #96
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 43
Posts: 891
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
his apollo-core works only on vampire fpga.
What other 68k FPGA project could be use his core?
MiniMig? Mist? FPGA Arcade?



no it's mean about 250 Mhz (so 200, 220, 210 Mhz)..
MiniMig, MiST and FPGArcade Replay boards do not use Altera FPGAs. Most of those use Xylinx. The Cyclone 3 is at the end of its production life (think clearance backstock) and soon there will be no more. Rumor has it that the Cyclone 5 will be used for future models and will gain some space because it is a more modern design.

Disclaimer: I have not been in contact with Gunnar for several weeks now so I can't verify my hypotheses at this time.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 11:57   #97
Seiya
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 313
However at the end there is no problems if one works together the other or not, but there is a great mess and confusion about the two teams.
Seiya is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 12:11   #98
Overflow
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
However at the end there is no problems if one works together the other or not, but there is a great mess and confusion about the two teams.
What mess?

Apollo Team is working towards their goal, and at the end of it (or as it goes along I should say) they offer an option for users.

If thats not your cup of tea, there is;

ACA accelerators
Old legacy accelerators via Amibay or ebay etc
Jens's future Reloaded project
And others

OR you can decide to go with WinUAE/AmigaForever/Amikit.

Plenty of options for your retroexpirience. Neither is the holy grail.
Overflow is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 12:29   #99
matthey
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
MiniMig, MiST and FPGArcade Replay boards do not use Altera FPGAs. Most of those use Xylinx.
The MiST used an Altera FPGA last I checked but it is not very big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
The Cyclone 3 is at the end of its production life (think clearance backstock) and soon there will be no more. Rumor has it that the Cyclone 5 will be used for future models and will gain some space because it is a more modern design.
This has been known for some time. Majsta knew it for his last Vampire design but did not upgrade to the Cyclone 5, likely primarily because of cost.
matthey is offline  
Old 01 July 2017, 13:00   #100
Mick
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: England
Posts: 193
I've just looked at my Mist and it is indeed an Altera Cyclone 3, I bought it about a year ago if that helps.

edit: it's the EP3C25 model.
https://www.altera.com/content/dam/a...duct-table.pdf

Last edited by Mick; 01 July 2017 at 13:19.
Mick is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vampire 1200 HanSolo support.Hardware 55 19 June 2017 10:15
Vampire x2 600 drusso66 support.Hardware 11 26 March 2017 10:18
Vampire 2 shipment 8bitbob Amiga scene 16 03 December 2016 11:30
Vampire II - Who is first? JackLeather support.Hardware 2 26 January 2016 13:56
Vampire game name Galder Looking for a game name ? 2 12 May 2014 22:53

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.27097 seconds with 12 queries