English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 June 2017, 19:31   #61
BSzili

Send a message via MSN to BSzili
This reminds me, I once had the idea of making a JezzBall clone. It's a quite fun Qix variant, which would be relatively easy to program. It also doesn't need any level design With nice graphics like Barrack for MacOS classic it would make a game worth publishing, I reckon.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 June 2017, 19:32   #62
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
This reminds me, I once had the idea of making a JezzBall clone. It's a quite fun Qix variant, which would be relatively easy to program.
I love Qix and any variant. Please do!
Looked it up. It kinda feels like Pang actually! Seems like a fun little game.

Last edited by Akira; 29 June 2017 at 19:40.
Old 02 July 2017, 23:04   #63
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by smila View Post
Interesting read.
I've worked on a lot of c64 games released by Psytronik, here's my thoughts.

1) keep your team small - 1 artist, 1 programmer, 1 audio person ( any more than that and the risk of disagreements/ quiting the project is high.
2) start with something small and fairly simple - don't try and create shadow of the beast for a first release as the chances of people losing interest is high.
3) let 1 person design the game or again the chance of disagreements/ quiting the project is high.
4) Don't let the community steer your project, I've seen this happen to so many projects and most of them never get finished. stick to the team.

Kenz who runs psytronik is a top bloke and always goes above and beyond to make your release look great.
Here's some of our c64 releases-

Anyhoo thats just my thoughts.
Good luck
Nice to hear from someone with experience, will drop you a PM
Old 04 July 2017, 17:52   #64
carrion

OK
As promised here's the link to what I'm up with so far with my 2D platform engine.
It's Blitz basic 2.1 OCS/AGA compatible.
http://retronavigator.com/post/16259...latformer-game
Nothing big but pls check it out and let me know what you think.

When time arrives I'll unveil more and maybe start a separate thread as well.

@Galahad
is it something you are thinking about too?
please forget about the lame and just-for-test-purposes graphics - time will come to improve that.
for now I test my approach to basic collisions and level scrolling.
more things to come - soon.

the "engine" now is not rocket-science - just some basic ideas quickly implemented.
I spend more on the workflow and the tools. and I can elaborate more if you are interested.
Old 05 July 2017, 20:47   #65
donnie

Great idea.

Amiga like c64 was a games machine for me, and for most people in europe. But unlike c64. A lot of the amiga community's talent is wasted on trying to make amiga a pc competitor. With ports of pc games that only 5 people can play.

Instead of tapping in the the much much much bigger amiga 500 userbase. There are probably lots of people who dont follow this community everyday. But would love to pick up a diskette release of a new cool game and get some retrokick on the a500.
Old 05 July 2017, 21:13   #66
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrion View Post
OK
As promised here's the link to what I'm up with so far with my 2D platform engine.
It's Blitz basic 2.1 OCS/AGA compatible.
http://retronavigator.com/post/16259...latformer-game
Nothing big but pls check it out and let me know what you think.

When time arrives I'll unveil more and maybe start a separate thread as well.

@Galahad
is it something you are thinking about too?
please forget about the lame and just-for-test-purposes graphics - time will come to improve that.
for now I test my approach to basic collisions and level scrolling.
more things to come - soon.

the "engine" now is not rocket-science - just some basic ideas quickly implemented.
I spend more on the workflow and the tools. and I can elaborate more if you are interested.
No, mine will be more basic, no scrolling whatsoever.

The idea is to get the idea off the ground and developed as quickly as possible, and then release.

More than anything, its a "proof of concept", where a game can be turned around in quick time, people can see the results, and then maybe be inspired to help on a bigger and better project next time around.
Old 08 July 2017, 15:42   #67
donnie

What they are doing on c64 is truly awesome, so much so that i am buying a c64 now. Eventhough i never owned one. I have to bow to smila. Excellent job. Like i said in some other thread, many of these games are truly professional in their quality. Like oldschool euro games but with modern game mechanics. If they were released back in the day. They would be top 10 c64 games of all time.

These are games running on a standard c64. No bullshit upgrades required.

That is the sad thing about current amiga community. It seems like 90% is trying to get amiga to compete with current pc.. or whatever, i dont know. By porting some crappy pc shooter from 97, that you have to have some souped up a1200 to play. But those are not the type of games that made us love amiga. For me its games like turrican. Games with great hand pixeled art, great playability on a standard amiga, playable from diskette. I dont have the numbers.. but out of the sold amigas at least 80% has to be ocs/ecs esque hardware. This is the amiga audience These are the people who are nostalgic about amiga and will be willing to buy a new amiga game. Fuck they are all in their 40s now, with stable incomes.

Another thing about amiga. Its almost impossible to get games working on it if you are not part of this scene. There is no simple way to get an amiga game of the web and on to your amiga. Simply due to the unconventional disk system. You have to mod you system to get an sdcard/cf-hdd on it. It to much for the average joe looking for a nostalgia kick.

That is why a well made new amiga game on diskette is so attractive. Millions of people can buy a new awesome game dig up their old a500 from the basement, and just play it.
Old 08 July 2017, 16:02   #68
donnie

My little amiga manifesto for new games development.

1. amiga 500 as target hardware.

that is 80% of the consumer base, and 100% can play the game. Only a few have aga equipped hardware, even fewer has accelerators.

2. make games playable and fun from diskette.

Most people dont have hdd, everyone has a disk drive. So keep the disk number as low as possible.Loading and diskswapping sucks ass. And chances are the game will look better if its not as large. There is now way to cheat on a 1 or 2 disk game, you cant throw in big blobs of photshopped crap. Hand pixeling is key. Less disk space means less shit that needs to be loaded that ads nothing. Like intros and what not.

3. 50hz

4. music and sfx at the same time

5. 2 button joystick support.
Old 08 July 2017, 16:46   #69
Selur

Very good point of view. But amiga developers really doesn't listen any advices
Old 08 July 2017, 17:57   #70
Akira

Although I agree with what you say donnie, I have to question this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
1. amiga 500 as target hardware.
that is 80% of the consumer base
Unless you ran a full survey of Amiga users world wide, this is just not true.
I think there are a lot of A1200s too.

Also A500 configs vary greatly. Some run older kickstarts, some run newer kickstarts, some have 1MB Chip RAM, some 512/512 Chip/Slow, some have an ECS Agnus, some don't...

A "common ground" has to be set, and I think that is probably "an Amiga with 1MB Chip RAM".

I do think that games should be ran on stock hardware though, be it an A500, 600 or 1200. A1200/CD32 stock games are also a very welcome addition that we don't get. Last stock AGA game being developed properly (and still not finished) that I can recall is Mr. Beanbag (where is Mrs. Beanbag? Haven't seen her around here in a long time )

Anyway, yes, there's plenty to be done on plain stock hardware and I hope people exploit that more before requiring you to have expansions.
Old 08 July 2017, 18:10   #71
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree with Akira here. I really think the target should be 68000 ECS 1mb Chip or 68020 AGA 2Mb Chip.

I don't own an AGA machine, but I have at least three friends with A1200s who are always asking me "What good AGA games you know?". I really see a lot of people complaining about the lack of AGA games. So having new AGA games would be really nice for them.

Of course I'd always prefer ECS games so I can play them but I guess some people would love more AGA games.
Old 08 July 2017, 18:15   #72
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Although I agree with what you say donnie, I have to question this point

Unless you ran a full survey of Amiga users world wide, this is just not true.
I think there are a lot of A1200s too.

Also A500 configs vary greatly. Some run older kickstarts, some run newer kickstarts, some have 1MB Chip RAM, some 512/512 Chip/Slow, some have an ECS Agnus, some don't...

A "common ground" has to be set, and I think that is probably "an Amiga with 1MB Chip RAM".

I do think that games should be ran on stock hardware though, be it an A500, 600 or 1200. A1200/CD32 stock games are also a very welcome addition that we don't get. Last stock AGA game being developed properly (and still not finished) that I can recall is Mr. Beanbag (where is Mrs. Beanbag? Haven't seen her around here in a long time )

Anyway, yes, there's plenty to be done on plain stock hardware and I hope people exploit that more before requiring you to have expansions.

Thats good enough. My point is just. Target the most common version, and make the game compatible for the rest of them.
Old 08 July 2017, 18:22   #73
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I agree with Akira here. I really think the target should be 68000 ECS 1mb Chip or 68020 AGA 2Mb Chip.

I don't own an AGA machine, but I have at least three friends with A1200s who are always asking me "What good AGA games you know?". I really see a lot of people complaining about the lack of AGA games. So having new AGA games would be really nice for them.

Of course I'd always prefer ECS games so I can play them but I guess some people would love more AGA games.
I dont know how good these numbers are.

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/sales.html

But if you look at germany. which is the one of biggest amiga market. Amiga 500 outsold 1200 10 to 1.

Im guessing its similar in the rest of europe.

There are lots and lots of a500 out there, many many people who have an a500 in their basement.. People who might buy a good amiga game out of nostalgia. if they could just insert that floppy and play.
Old 08 July 2017, 18:40   #74
daxb

@donnie:
I think you did some wrong assumption with 1. and 2.

My opinion is that if people want to make a game then they should do what they like. Independantly to a special target system, type of game or whatever. But only if the target is my system and my type/like of game. :P
Old 08 July 2017, 18:52   #75
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Chaps, 1 MEG is the minimum spec, but you are quite wrong to suggest it should be 1 MEG chip ram, as MANY setups have 512k chip/512k slow ram.

My game will support ALL 1 Meg machines as a base minimum, whether that be 512k/512k slow or 1 meg chip, there really is no hassle to this programming to these requirements, commercial developers had to do it and NEVER stipulated 1meg chip ram

And worrying about Kickstart versions is a misnomer, as the game will drop the OS at boot time, it will simply NEVER be an issue.

Kickstart problems only existed generally with games that specifically utilised the system extensively.
Old 08 July 2017, 19:04   #76
DamienD
Global Moderator

Legend Sir Galahad

That's how it should be (512Kb Chip + 512Kb Slow or 1MB Chip) and you most definitely have the skills to make it reality.
Old 08 July 2017, 19:11   #77
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Legend Sir Galahad

That's how it should be (512Kb Chip + 512Kb Slow or 1MB Chip) and you most definitely have the skills to make it reality.
In all honesty, 1 meg is probably overkill for this game type, but it depends entirely on the graphics I get and the music, if the music is of such a high quality that its inclusion forces 1 meg only, then so be it, but certainly catering for slow ram machines was never a difficulty.
Old 08 July 2017, 19:27   #78
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Chaps, 1 MEG is the minimum spec, but you are quite wrong to suggest it should be 1 MEG chip ram, as MANY setups have 512k chip/512k slow ram.

My game will support ALL 1 Meg machines as a base minimum, whether that be 512k/512k slow or 1 meg chip, there really is no hassle to this programming to these requirements, commercial developers had to do it and NEVER stipulated 1meg chip ram

And worrying about Kickstart versions is a misnomer, as the game will drop the OS at boot time, it will simply NEVER be an issue.

Kickstart problems only existed generally with games that specifically utilised the system extensively.
awesome. I hope this is the start of something. I would love to have something like the c64 scene on amiga.

1 or 2 top notch games every year.
Old 08 July 2017, 19:34   #79
donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
@donnie:
I think you did some wrong assumption with 1. and 2.

My opinion is that if people want to make a game then they should do what they like. Independantly to a special target system, type of game or whatever. But only if the target is my system and my type/like of game. :P
People might not admit it. But one of the big motivators in life is admiration and appreciation from others.

when you have hundreds of people buying your game, thousands of people playing, writing talking, posting, liking, about your game...then you want to make more. Other people take notice and want to do the same.. it all ends up as an a positive feedback loop.
Old 09 July 2017, 01:11   #80
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Actually, incompatibility problems occurred when people shut off the OS and made their own routines that didn't work on other hardware/ROM configs. You know well, you have fixed many such games.
AdSense AdSense