English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 June 2017, 17:22   #181
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
... instead of trying to force it your way ...
how can I force anything - it's the apollo core team doing so.
there were of course expectations - when majista/kipper made the cards.
when apollo team joined, the outlook was even brighter, but now it dims a bit - IMHO.
i'm not sure if all the advanced features may be more of a drawback.

#1) imagine this: they could have made the apollo core with saga rtg only,
disconnect from the native chipset - and telling you, there will be much better
games in the future.
i think this would make you arguing differntly.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 June 2017, 17:40   #182
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
how can I force anything - it's the apollo core team doing so.
I wasn't talking about you specifically. And yeah the Apollo team will "force" anything they want to do. It's their core to do what they want with it.

The most productive thing that should come out from all this talk bashing Apollo and their decisions, is another team forming up to make another core for the Vampire.
If there's really this much talent and "better ideas", then why is not a new 68k core being developed by another team?

Quote:
#1) imagine this: they could have made the apollo core with saga rtg only, disconnect from the native chipset - and telling you, there will be much better games in the future.
i think this would make you arguing differntly.
In which way? I'd still be not interested to have one in my Amiga now. But still supporting whatever comes out as a standalone. I have no problems with Vampire, so I don't see how it would change my arguing, which is basically, "stop the complaints". It has nothing to do with the hardware or software.

By the way, I had an Amiga since 1992, so I well know that the statement "there will be better games" would be something I would never believe, since nobody would be making them.

Last edited by Akira; 23 June 2017 at 18:18.
Old 23 June 2017, 17:46   #183
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
If there's really this much talent and "better ideas", then why is not a new 68k core being developed by another team?
A million dollar question. A lot of people seem to know better, but no one seems to be doing it.
Old 23 June 2017, 18:26   #184
emufan

Quote:
thats a rhetoric question, isn't it?
i'd say appropriate ideas - without quotes - but this doesnt make you a master in vhdl.
just in case your question was meant to be seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
A million dollar question.
really?! worth a million only ... ?!
Old 23 June 2017, 18:46   #185
kolla

Not the chips themselves, but the rest of the hardware. Stand-alone box with Apollo Core was supposed to be the thing at last that can replace the old work horse amiga systems, and kinda be to A3000/A4000/060 what the Minimig and MIST are to A500/A600/A1200. But instead it is turning into a new weirdo quasi 68k hardware architecture without even proper OS support in the OS it was supposedly built for.

Meaning, Apollo Core will not be the answer to the original problem, as it initially was purposed as, and instead be yet another annoying bump on the road.
Old 23 June 2017, 18:46   #186
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
really?! worth a million only ... ?!
I guess even more... If you made the super-duper core those Apollo guys are incapable of, you would made millions. So hop to it.

Quote:
i'd say appropriate ideas - without quotes - but this doesnt make you a master in vhdl.
Apparently it makes you a master in demanding that other people cater to your desires.
Old 23 June 2017, 19:03   #187
kolla

No worries, at least one of the two options below will happen

* There will be other cores
* Apollo Core will eventually come around

The first well happen anyways, there are several people working on advancing 68k softcores already, not just in Amiga land, but also else where, even commercially.

The Apollo Core may eventually come around when Gunnar in his infinite wisdom changes course a few more times, break a few more "promises" and land on something he can actually sell and license to a broader customer base and be competitive not just on speed, but also on compatibility and features. Of course he will say that this has been his plan all along
Old 23 June 2017, 19:03   #188
emufan

Quote:
Apparently it makes you a master in demanding that other people cater to your desires.
childs babble - where and how did I demand anything?
and btw - gunnar shaping the vampire from stone while he has a rest from writing the apollo core?
stop this utterly nonsense of a reply.
Old 23 June 2017, 20:07   #189
DamienD
Global Moderator

Time to move this thread out of the News section
Old 23 June 2017, 20:50   #190
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
childs babble - where and how did I demand anything?
and btw - gunnar shaping the vampire from stone while he has a rest from writing the apollo core?
stop this utterly nonsense of a reply.
You can hide behind semantics all you want. People are demanding, moaning, crying, nagging, urging, use whatever word you want, that a group of people does something which someone else thinks should be done. Now, it is Apollo team's project and they will do as they see fit. Like it - buy it. Don't like it - don't buy it. Think you can do better - do it. You can't do anything yourself - tough luck.

Kolla is right (feels strange to say that ). Someone may come along with a different core. If no one comes along - tough luck again.

It really is ... that ... simple.
Old 23 June 2017, 21:12   #191
kolla

Where does a potential customer go to find the specs, features and compatibility list of the current product?
Old 23 June 2017, 21:28   #192
emufan

Quote:
... Like it - buy it. Don't like it - don't buy it. Think you can do better - do it. You can't do anything yourself - tough luck.
5th grade babble this time - once again some nice try to shut down critics - same story all the time...
Old 24 June 2017, 00:30   #193
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Where does a potential customer go to find the specs, features and compatibility list of the current product?
The specs can be seen on a laminated sheet of paper below the Vampire product shelf in all major stores in an imaginary world where Amiga is supported by big companies.

In this reality, however, almost all Amiga-related products are made by enthusiasts in their spare time in their bedrooms. And you do your own research before buying. I would suggest talking to the devs directly.

Quote:
5th grade babble this time - once again some nice try to shut down critics - same story all the time...
And screaming "That's childish!" to everything other person has to say is a true mature way to adult conversation. Bravo

Once again you are missing the point. There is no "criticism". There's a bunch of guys doing what they want and can, and there's a group of people nagging "why don't you do this, why don't you do that".

Have you seen in the other thread what Majsta has to deal with? Now go spit on him because he didn't make the ultimate card everyone's pleased with.

Last edited by Lord Aga; 24 June 2017 at 00:41.
Old 24 June 2017, 01:13   #194
emufan

Quote:
Now go spit on him because he didn't make the ultimate card everyone's pleased with.
you're making a disgrace out of yourself - dont you see that? erm, just rhetoric question.
Old 24 June 2017, 13:13   #195
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Old 24 June 2017, 13:18   #196
DamienD
Global Moderator

Come on guys; cool it down a bit please.

...your floating way off topic.
Old 24 June 2017, 14:41   #197
kolla

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1304

Quote:
Apollo Accelerators is an Amiga Classic accelerator board product line. It uses the Apollo core which is a code compatible Motorola M68K and ColdFire processor but is 3 to 4 time faster than the fastest 68060 at time. It also brings Amiga Classic nearer to Amiga NG by bringing digital video with millions of colours.

Features

Fastest Amiga CPU
Faster than a 68060 at 100MHz, capable of Next Gen workloads (watching movies, listening to digital music, etc.)

Fast Storage
Use IDE/CF up to 11MB/s and a MicroSD card as hard drive and say goodbye to your aging floppies and old SCSI drives.

Loads of memory
Ever heard of the sentence "640K Ought to be Enough for Anyone" ? Vampire is cranking it up to 128MB.

User upgradable
New cores are uploaded directly from your Amiga, giving you new functionalities and performances when they hit the street.

RTG Video Driver
The driver supports from 320240 up to 19201080, however, the Pixel Clock of the Vampire is limited, so you will need a TV/monitor that can cope with low refresh rates if you want to use large modes (e.g. for 1080p you'll need to run at 24Hz vertical refresh). All colour depths are available. 8, 15, 16, 24, 32bits.

Installation

Open the A500 and remove upper RF shielding. The accelerator is then plugged into the empty CPU socket once the 68000 is removed.

Compatibility

Amiga 500

Limitations

MicroSD slot: Current driver revision isn't able to boot from microSD.
Anyone see anything they feel perhaps is odd, or could need some ... clarifications?
Old 24 June 2017, 14:48   #198
kolla

Quote:
I would suggest talking to the devs directly.
It sounds so easy, doesn't it.
Old 24 June 2017, 14:53   #199
Signman

Gunnar owes a few people serious money for rent payments due to the space he takes up in their heads.
Old 24 June 2017, 14:58   #200
kolla

If anyone thinks I am obsessing over this, rest assured that I am not, this is just light recreation
AdSense AdSense