English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 May 2017, 01:56   #1
Sinphaltimus

Poor Performance with controller input

Hi, I'm fairly new at this. I installed classicWB with WHDLoad. running on an AMD 8350 with 16GBs ram using a slightly altered version of the default classicWB config. Slightly altered because I tried a lot of settings from these forums to try and trouble shoot what I thought was a sound issue. Turn out every game I run so far runs fine until I start using the mouse (as in cannon fodder) or XBox 360 controller (mostly testing with 1943).

Whenever there is PC input devices active, the frames stick along with the sound. It's not skipping frames or anything - the games actually stutter (while getting stuck). I've even tweaked my PC power settings. I do use Process Lasso to manage tasks on windows 10 and I have WinUae v 3.4.0 (2016.12.21) 64-bit. I give winuae.exe high performance profile and do not use any restraints on it via Process Lasso.

I've played with JIT settings and Cycle exact settings. I've got it the best I could using the attached config but it still occurs.

Wondering if anyone would be willing to take me through some settings. Asking for logs and such should come with a little direction. I don't know what logs are enabled, how to change that or where they are stored or labelled.
Attached Files
File Type: uae ClassicWB_PerfomanceChecker.uae (17.3 KB, 13 views)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 May 2017, 11:16   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Wondering if anyone would be willing to take me through some settings. Asking for logs and such should come with a little direction. I don't know what logs are enabled, how to change that or where they are stored or labelled.
Heya Sinphaltimus,

Not at home currently so don't have WinUAE in front of me and can't look at your config...

Go to "Paths" and tick "Enable Full Logging" before starting your config and run until / after the issue occurs. You can then zip / attach the 2 .TXT files which should be in the root of your WinUAE directory.

Also, not saying this is the issue, but have you tried the 32-bit version of WinUAE instead to see if the same thing occurs?
Old 28 May 2017, 11:20   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Ok, so opened your config file in a phone text editor. You're using ECS Agnus and KS ROM v3.1 (A500,A600,A2000) for your Classic WB .HDF.

Any reason why you are not setting an AGA config / KS?
Old 28 May 2017, 11:32   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean even when game is in title screen and not caring about mouse, moving the mouse slows it down?

btw, don't use any tweaking software, most of them are totally useless today and can cause unexpected side-effects.
Old 28 May 2017, 12:47   #5
Sinphaltimus

@DamienD - I have not tried the 32 bit version.
I have ECS and 3.1 set because I plan to use this same setup on my real Amiga 500 which is ECS/KS3.1 once my Vampire arrives.

@TORI - yes, even at title screens. Music will stutter when gave pad is used (pushing buttons/moving joystick)

In regards to process lasso, didn't make a different disabled . I also trust and use process lasso for various reasons, causes no issues I can't identify and mitigate easily.

Edit: just woke up, will be a while before I get to try 32 bit version.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 May 2017 at 13:27.
Old 28 May 2017, 13:05   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Interesting..

Does changing mouse type (Game Ports panel "Windows mouse" vs <name of mouse or HID mouse>) make any difference?

Does -norawhid command line option change anything? (Uses DirectInput instead of RawInput)

Include also logs but it sounds like Windows or driver issue. Which Windows 10 version? Recent Creator's Update or earlier one? (XBox pad + Windows 10 had issues with RawInput until CU)
Old 28 May 2017, 13:37   #7
Sinphaltimus

@Toni - Haven't changed mouse type yet, going to have 1st breakfast now will do afterwards. Nor have I tried 32 bit yet or the command line you suggested, will do upon returning from breakfast. I am using Win10 CU (latest version). But you gave me an idea. Also when I get back, the first thing I will attempt to do is disable any Windows Gaming features- maybe Win10 is recording video behind the scenes in case I hit the "save recording" key combo. So I'll turn that stuff off first and check.

I've attached the logs. Before looking at the logs, this si what I did:
Started up the emulation with right mouse button clicked, selected run list, selected AGLoad, selected 0-9, selected 1945 - I believe doing this saves resources in emulation as opposed to running a WHLoad from within a fully loaded workbench. I played only a few seconds to with the lag occurring whenever I used the gamepad then I hit F12, saved the logs and quit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae64_debug_3.4.0.zip (17.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 May 2017 at 13:54.
Old 28 May 2017, 13:51   #8
DamienD
Global Moderator

Who's TORI?!?
Old 28 May 2017, 13:55   #9
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Who's TORI?!?
Whoops - FIXED - Breakfast done, not so much caffeine yet. My apologies. OK getting started on some of these suggestions, starting with MS WIndows Gaming crap disabling.
Old 28 May 2017, 14:13   #10
Sinphaltimus

OK, changing the mouse to "Windows mouse" had a minor improvement for a short time until the issues came back and stayed. running winuae64.exe from command prompt as admin made it worse again. I'm going to attempt the 32 bit version now.
Old 28 May 2017, 14:29   #11
Sinphaltimus

OK, same issue in 32 bit. I recorded the screen using shadowplay. It shows exactly what's happening perfectly you just have to watch the video until the end (1 minute 20 some odd seconds) - It's going to take a while to upload, I'm compressing it as best I can to make the upload faster - I'm on 1up/3down DSL (don't laugh - I get enough of that from everyone else - It's the best they offer here).

OK, here's the video -

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 May 2017 at 14:55.
Old 28 May 2017, 16:16   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could you try some non-crappy game port that really is guaranteed to run at full 50Hz? There are games that may run strangely under 68020+ (even if it is whdload game).

To reduce unknown variables, choose Quickstart A500 mode (most compatible), boot to game like Pinball Dreams or Turrican, Jim Power etc.. Still same behavior? (If not, it can't be Windows related)
Old 28 May 2017, 16:33   #13
Sinphaltimus

Wow. OK, I did that. I noticed the stuttering whenever Pinball dreams loads. Once gameplay starts, it's all fine and dandy playing with KB, as soon as I start messing with the game controller, the game starts to get stuttery again but not bad. It does happen though. Attached logs.

EDIT: Play PBDreams without touching the controller under A500 Quick Start is jittery.

EDIT2: It's as if my computer can't handle it. I've disabled Antivirus and Process Lasso. CPU Util will go as high as 67% but it doesn't seem to coincide with the jitter of the games. All my HDDs are SSD.

EDIT3: Happens with mouse movement too. If I move mouse and joystick on gamepad at same time, it's even worse.

EDIT4: Also, the CPU percentage in the UAE screen will sit at 0% with music and title screens, as soon as I start moving the mouse on these same screens, the CPU % spikes randomly, anywhere between 25% and 67% is what I've seen so far. Causing the jitters.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z WinUAE.7z (6.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 28 May 2017 at 17:19.
Old 28 May 2017, 17:20   #14
Sinphaltimus

See all my edits in previous post. I also posted another video -

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 May 2017, 22:29   #15
Sinphaltimus

Here's a stretch but I have to ask.

Would a File Directory size on PC be the issue?
The Games folder on my PC for WHLoad is 7.01 GBs.
Could a long path cause this?
The path to my Games: is C:\Users\LRivera\Documents\Amiga\CF _card and OS setup Utils\WHDLoad\Games
Old 29 May 2017, 03:48   #16
Sinphaltimus

OK, Last update for today I guess. The file path and directory sizes are a non-issue.
I moved everything to CF (Sd card in CF adaptor) and eliminated and HDF files stored on PC and PC directories used as disks. Strictly SD card now and the problem persists.

Always when the game controller or mouse is being used. Both are USB devices. Not sure what to check or change on the windows 10 side.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:18   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you have any other USB mouse and game controller?

Try unplugging mouse and keeping only game controller connected before starting winuae (and vice versa).

EDIT: BIOS and driver up to date? (including mainboard drivers and/or possible USB controller firmware). Try swapping USB ports if your mainboard has USB2 and USB3 ports or USB ports controlled by different controllers?. It really sounds like driver/hardware/Windows issue.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 29 May 2017 at 15:17.
Old 29 May 2017, 16:59   #18
Sinphaltimus

Yeah, it's all up to date. Tried different ports and a different mouse, do not have a different controller but even with the controller unplugged I get the input lag. I don't even have to try games - I discovered late last night that it happens with the demo also.

I think I'm going to give up on the emulation side since the most important part of it was to setup a CF/SD card in Cf adaptor for use in my real Amiga just wanted to get used to things in classicWB ahead of time.

What I will do at some point just to try and figure this out more is to set this all up on a different computer to see what happens, like Windows 7 or something. I don't have any performance issues on anything else I run on this PC so it's definitely limited to WinUAE even if it is a windows 10 issue in how it's interacting with it. Seems the inputs are using too much Amiga emulated CPU and that's what's causing the stutter. Like sudden CPU spikes in WinUAE are not translating fast enough or something.
Old 29 May 2017, 18:40   #19
Sinphaltimus

Decided to try something else.
OK, certainly can't be my PC. I made a copy of the system.hdf file and created an A1200 config in Cloanto Amiga Forever 2016. I also attached the Games: directory like I did in WinUAE. It runs flawlessly and perfect in everyway (1943).

I'm uploading a video now but again, will take a long time. Just want to show I am not BS'ing. This issue is completely limited to WinUAE.

EDIT:Fixed a typo and added first line.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 29 May 2017 at 18:53.
Old 29 May 2017, 19:06   #20
DamienD
Global Moderator

I don't use Amiga Forever but isn't this just a glorified front-end that actually uses WinUAE behind the scenes?!?

...if so, it's an older version than v3.4.0 so could try that version directly.
AdSense AdSense