English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 February 2003, 23:53   #41
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
That is complete bullshit! The Atari a computer and the Amiga a game machine? Yeah, sure...
Well I meant if people wanted just a inexpensive computer they gravitated toward the cheaper atari ST. If they were interested in a computer but were game lovers they gravitated toward the amiga. I am referring to the 520/1040ST vs the A500/A1200 amigas. The Atari Falcon and A3000/4000 were geared toward people who had serious applications to run.

Its just like saying PC users have more gamers and mac users have more graphic artists.. you can do either on both machines.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 February 2003, 23:55   #42
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Yeah, but weigh their successes to their accidents and it's a more telling story...
Well the guy who invented the internet ( no not dan quayle the other guy) used a NEXT computer, doesnt mean he couldnt have done it on a MAC or PC.

What exactly did NASA use those computers for at the time anyway? I am sure they are all long gone by now.
Old 19 February 2003, 00:03   #43
oldpx

@twist
Sure it would be a pathetic joke so I didn't want to make it

Old 19 February 2003, 00:42   #44
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'd have bought the Company and marketed it myself, I probably would do a better job than the Jokers that fuxxored it up :/

The only snag was I didn't have a few hundred million to hand
Old 19 February 2003, 02:18   #45
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by bippym
I'd have bought the Company and marketed it myself, I probably would do a better job than the Jokers that fuxxored it up :/

The only snag was I didn't have a few hundred million to hand
Hehehe...I remember when CBM filed chapter 11 - my friends and I were trying to scrape up the money to buy an interest. At about the same time, Bill Clinton was still smoking from his revolutionary idea to have "bake sales" to help eliminate our nation's deficit (and even very young school children were sending in their money -- and he didn't send it back...training them for taxation, no doubt!) -- where was I...oh yeah, so we decided we could have a bake sale to buy out CBM's remaining shards.

Our endeavor left us, however, penniless.
Old 19 February 2003, 15:32   #46
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
What killed it, was that it started to lag behind, technology-wise, from it's competitors.
There are two main reasons why you're wrong.

A. Bullshit!
B. ...Well you don't need a B, because the A was so great!

No, seriously: If the people at commodore haven't had hybris (thinking that they were the greatest company in the world, and none could beat them), and spent all of their money for the executives toys(cars, gadgets, women, beer), and instead invested the money for future development and marketing, AMIGA would still be a household name!
Old 19 February 2003, 15:45   #47
Unknown_K

The best Commodore could have done was to make the amiga line look like apples line, but still they would only be a small niche player.

The commodity PC line with multiple venders and zillions of board makers/software houses would always kill the small company closed system makers no matter what they are (hell even IBM the maker of the PC got killed when it tried to reshape the PC market with microchannel).
Old 21 February 2003, 15:03   #48
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

BTW-a point about PC "upgradability". In theory we have the PCI/AGP etc. expansions, but the motherboard & CPU revisions are getting rediculous. How many P4 revisions have there been already, (Intel),& of course not forgetting VIA's constant M/B chipset issues with AMD CPU's & peripherals.
Old 21 February 2003, 15:18   #49
Unknown_K

It used to be you could buy an upgradable motherboard keep it a year and then upgrade to a newer faster chip and all was well.

These days the memory speed, FSB speed, chip pin count, and even memory type change so often that an upgrade means the MB and CPU both get upgraded at the same time (maybe even memory). But this upgrade costs less then just a cpu upgrade would have cost maybe 5 years ago.
Old 21 February 2003, 17:23   #50
jmmijo

Yes, being in the hardware business over the past countless years, I've seen the performance of the memory, cpu and motherboard go up while the pricing goes down. Yes the newest, fastest of anything will cost the most but pretty much anything less then that will have gone down in price. So if you never need to have the bleeding edge of any technology then it becomes a buyers market for sure
AdSense AdSense