English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 April 2017, 21:29   #1
dirkies
Zone Friend

Question Hook a kryoflux directly in winuae?

Not sure if this was asked before, but would there be any technical possibility to have winuae recognize an attached kryoflux drive (or 2) so we can boot physical floppies straight from the kryoflux hardware into winuae? Would make life easier for bulk floppy testing
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 April 2017, 13:10   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It has been discussed previously. It can work but it would be useless.. You can't hook real time real world device to emulation without really annoying side-effects..
Old 08 April 2017, 19:10   #3
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It has been discussed previously. It can work but it would be useless.. You can't hook real time real world device to emulation without really annoying side-effects..

That sounds weird, is this because it's such a different platform being emulated? Virtualbox, VMware, Qemu en KVM handle this kind of tasks pretty well. But that's x86-on-x86 and not mc68k-on-x86.
Old 08 April 2017, 19:15   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you don't need copy protection support..
Old 09 April 2017, 07:47   #5
dirkies
Zone Friend

no copy protection support needed, just got over 600 Amiga floppies from a Dutch scener, and it would be nice to boot then straight in WinUae with my kryoflux drive hooked onto the PC. Allows me to quickly decide if the disk needs to be preserved or not.
Now I need first to ADF the floppy in kryoflux and mount it in WinUAE before I know what is actually on the disk. Ok for a few, but with 600 floppies, it's going to be a massive task.
Old 09 April 2017, 17:50   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
no copy protection support needed, just got over 600 Amiga floppies from a Dutch scener, and it would be nice to boot then straight in WinUae with my kryoflux drive hooked onto the PC. Allows me to quickly decide if the disk needs to be preserved or not.
Now I need first to ADF the floppy in kryoflux and mount it in WinUAE before I know what is actually on the disk. Ok for a few, but with 600 floppies, it's going to be a massive task.
Dirkies, just choose the ADF imaging thru the kryoflux board via the Graphic user interface given with it.

It's as fast as doing it under winuae.

And even better, we can help here with the disks, just dump them
Old 09 April 2017, 17:54   #7
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Next, each time the kryoflux gets a problem with a disk, stop, put the disk aside, and pass on the next disk.

In the end, you will have the pile of good ADF, and the pile of disks with problems.
Old 09 April 2017, 19:18   #8
dirkies
Zone Friend

That's still a big missing feature for a preservation kit. A functionality only rattle copy had:
You copy a disk with errors. Then it would at the second attempt just retry the error tracks with the same destination disk, no longer reading the ok tracks from the previous attempt. You could do it as many times as you want until all tracks were eventually read ok. Helped me preserve tons of wonky disks.
Kryoflux also reads bad tracks ok at the second or third attempt, but good tracks from the first attempt may be bad at a next attempt. So it is virtually impossible to get a clean adf with a wonky floppy in kryoflux.
Old 09 April 2017, 19:32   #9
BarryB
Amigaholic

Are you going to check all 1200+ sides of those disks for dirt/mold/damage or just blindly bung them in a floppy drive?
Old 09 April 2017, 19:52   #10
dirkies
Zone Friend

They were extremely well stored in a tight wooden case. So bung time
Old 09 April 2017, 23:05   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
They were extremely well stored in a tight wooden case. So bung time
oohh ahhhsome !
Old 10 April 2017, 22:17   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's still a big missing feature for a preservation kit. A functionality only rattle copy had:
You copy a disk with errors. Then it would at the second attempt just retry the error tracks with the same destination disk, no longer reading the ok tracks from the previous attempt. You could do it as many times as you want until all tracks were eventually read ok. Helped me preserve tons of wonky disks.
Kryoflux also reads bad tracks ok at the second or third attempt, but good tracks from the first attempt may be bad at a next attempt. So it is virtually impossible to get a clean adf with a wonky floppy in kryoflux.
You've hit the nail right on the head with that summary. That's the reason I still prefer my Catweasels to my Kryoflux.
AdSense AdSense