English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 March 2017, 01:15   #1
Neil79

Paula powered level up

PAULA POWERED LEVEL UP - A wicked Music CD featuring an Amiga 1200 is coming 1st May 2017!

Quote:
Music listeners and Amiga retro gamers alike, ready your CD players. As PAULA POWERED is preparing the launch of their very first CD: A 5-track EP called “LEVEL UP”, which is coming 1st May 2017. Described as a Digital Punk bonanza, mixing 80's retro sound into the 21st century where punk, pop and electro influences are mixed with old video games sounds. PAULA POWERED LEVEL UP doesn't just feature the vocals from one of our own special Commodore Amiga moderators Sally Ann, but Guitar and Programming by Syvlain de ST Pierre AND an original Amiga 1200!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...-audio-cd.html
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 March 2017, 02:03   #2
Anakirob
Banned

Not to disparage their efforts, but as a punk rock aficionado I am slightly disappointed by their "wussy" sound.

Not that their's anything wrong with their music, just that it does not kick enough arse for my punk rock and hardcore sensibilities, as their songs are infinitely more like The Pixies than Black Flag. And while The Pixies have many fans I am not one of them, they are a bit slow and boring for my tastes.

In my opinion Organ Grinder did the whole "Amiga Punk" thing much better with their 2012 release "September Twelve", certainly with a lot more balls that's for sure. But then I would say that, I was the keyboard player.

Once again, I'm not disparaging their efforts, just pointing out that you may be disappointed if you're expecting "punk" to sound like I was expecting "punk" to sound. (My music collection features artists like Henry Rollins and Steve Albini quite heavily)

But using an Amiga as the rhythm section is admirable, more bands should do it, and I respect Paula Powered as musicians

It's just not my "cup-o-tea", and I was a bit disappointed when I was expecting a loud, brash, fast punk song to grab me by the balls and got something entirely different.

I much prefer Big Black [ Show youtube player ] They were a Punk/Hardcore band with computerised rhythm section.

*edit update
I have actually been in touch with Paula Powered via FaceBook and am planning on interviewing them for my project as well as covering their upcoming release..
So obviously even though I won't be listening to their EP much, I will still ultimately recommend them to people who are into that kind of music. And I sincerely wish them the best of luck with the sale of their CD.

Last edited by Anakirob; 23 March 2017 at 10:41. Reason: Correct tense. Big Black have long since broken up so I replaced "are" with "were"
Old 04 April 2017, 20:10   #3
Acill

I'm going to agree here. I didnt see this as punk when I found them on youtube and had a listen. Not my taste at all, but i can see some enjoying it.
AdSense AdSense