English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2017, 01:42   #1
Anakirob
Unregistered User

New Independent Periodical "in the style of" Amiga Power

I have been spending the last month working really hard on putting together a magazine to be published regularly, hopefully monthly but possibly bi-monthly or quarterly depending on how we go producing the first couple of issues.

The Power Magazine is a publication for SteamOS gaming. Although obviously any SteamOS games are also available for Windows, so any PC gamer should be able to get something out of our pages. And also we cover vintage systems as emulation is one of the main ways Linux users traditionally play games on their system.

Indeed the Amiga will feature quite heavily in the first issue to be published in April, as well as the special edition issue zero which is due in just under one week from now. We have adjusted our release schedule to the first of every month. So this news is quite relevant to the Amiga.

Especially considering that for issue one we plan on releasing a real Amiga coverdisk, which will also be available for download as an ADF and possibly LHA as a tribute to our heritage.

Please not that the actual cover for The Power Magazine issue zero may vary. For example the "outrageous claims" will most likely appear inside the magazine and not on the cover.

Last edited by Anakirob; 22 March 2017 at 07:39. Reason: Adjusted release schedule
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 March 2017, 12:59   #2
Anakirob
Unregistered User

The Power CoverDisk competition
much like our parent publication we will feature things like cover media and giveaway competitions. So I though i might as well offer an early one:

I will give one copy of the coverdisk to the first Australian (or person who can collect a package delivered within AU:) person who can spot the typo contained in the above image.

Post your answer here and claim your prize via PM, thankyou.

You will of course have to wait until after 15th of April 1st of May of course, as the disk will feature more than just the Tanks Furry game, we intend to fill every last track with content. And it is not the CoverDisk for issue zero, but issue one.

Last edited by Anakirob; 22 March 2017 at 07:39. Reason: Adjusted release schedule
Old 18 March 2017, 13:30   #3
thedevilbunny

Looks great! Good luck man, can't wait to give it a look!
Old 22 March 2017, 07:45   #4
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Exclamation

I have edited previous posts with updated news regarding our release schedule, so though this may be worth a bump so that anyone who had taken note of the original release date may be kept up to date.

Of course this is just a draft layout, we have a dedicated art editor giving this the professional DTP treatment. This page features three reviews, one from each of our writers, all for games which might be wise to avoid.

I might note that you can most likely expect at least one positive review from each of us, but you'll have to wait (or look at my Steam Store reviews:) to see what those titles are.

Old 28 March 2017, 02:37   #5
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Updated Website.
Coming Soon
Old 28 March 2017, 02:52   #6
Pyromania

I'm looking forward to reading it when it comes out.
Old 28 March 2017, 18:38   #7
saimon69
Bedroom musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
Updated Website.
Coming Soon
[big fat cover]
This cover image is by Krzysztof Matys, for the posterity ^^
Old 29 March 2017, 09:32   #8
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
This cover image is by Krzysztof Matys, for the posterity ^^
Oops, sorry I forgot to mention that. He is also currently working on our layout as Art Editor is also something I should mention also
Old 01 April 2017, 08:32   #9
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Exclamation

Well, it is now the first of the month, and as promised we have officially launched.

http://thepowereviews.com/

You will still have to wait a few weeks for our actual magazine to be finished.
Much like we would expect from a games developer we believe it is better to delay release until the product is of a quality which we would be proud to put our names to than to rush another mediocre product out onto the market.

But all the information you need to know about this fledgling magazine is there, although there may be some small website updates between now and the publication of our first issue. The intended content for issue 0, which is due to go to the printers on April 15th, has pretty much been finalised.

You can expect a paper magazine of around 45 pages with cover-mounted USB for use on your Linux system with a large percentage of issue 0's cover media contents also usable with an Amiga.

Also available in PDF+data download.

While we have not yet 100% committed to the idea of printing a monthly periodical, and may even go bi-monthly or quarterly if it simply takes us too long to compile a magazine of suitable quality, our current monthly time-table is to announce the contents on the 1st and publish our magazine around the 15th.

And finally our Staff list

Rob O'Malley - Editor
Troy Wilkins - Staff Writer
Shane Holding - Technical Editor
Krzystof Matys - Art Editor

We really need another couple of contributors to make this project work as well as we might intend it to. But we have enough of a team to make something substantial. So watch this space.

If you were to examine the site's contents you may find that we are actively seeking contributions. Indeed a handful of you have already been contacted in regards to our cover-media, it probably won't take much guesswork who I have been talking with in order to promise an "exclusive bullet-hell demo" to accompany Tanks Furry in May for example . Nor would it be difficult to ascertain the username of anyone I might be asking about producing a patch for Tanks Furry to adjust the colour palette to suite a variety of displays as I have found that the colours would bleed a bit on my composite TV display.

So I will announce here that we are currently seeking someone to take on the task of compiling our cover HDF. I will do this myself if I have to, but if someone wants to take on the task for me then that would be greatly appreciated to the point of the possibility of you being financially compensated for your time.

While our main writing staff are all Australian we are accepting international staff for other positions. All major positions on our publication are paid positions. And Coverdisk Editor is definitely a paid position.

So if you don't mind spending 2-8 hours a month compiling our cover-media package then there is a small but reasonable amount of funds to pay you for your time. We are really looking for someone with experience crafting HDF files right now. But if you also have experience with Linux then this could be an ongoing arrangement and the rate of pay would be proportionate with our rate of growth.

And if you are Australian and want some free games, mostly for Steam, but sometimes C64, Amiga, MSX, etc. As well as the opportunity to be a founding member of a "start-up" operation. Don't hesitate to get in touch. Even contributions of 1 or 2 small reviews a month are appreciated at this point.

Last edited by Anakirob; 01 April 2017 at 09:26.
AdSense AdSense