English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01 May 2017, 10:30   #21
michaelz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Den Haag / Netherlands
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Thread

Normally I don't get involved with idiots that bash AmiBay, but I do tire of some of the most outlandish statements against its community and staff.

(Snip)


Too bad? for whom? AmiBay has over 18,000 with over 3,300 active members every month.
If you're counting blocked accounts for no apparent reason, yeah; 18000 is an easy target.

And if outlandish is because I'm Dutch, that's just racism dude
michaelz is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 01 May 2017, 13:15   #22
Amon_RA
Registered User
Amon_RA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Belgium
Posts: 99
Every time I check the EAB forum I get the impression that it's a cesspool of angry old men who seem to have a "problem" with almost everything... A bit depressing tbh...

I created an Amibay account a few years ago and bought items from people all over the world. Friendly people, helpful, and the moderators do a good job.
Amon_RA is offline  
Old 01 May 2017, 18:01   #23
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?
Zetr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 42
Posts: 9,769
@michaelz

I have to admit, its the first time on line I have been called a racist on eab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
If you're counting blocked accounts for no apparent reason, yeah; 18000 is an easy target.
I doubt what ever anyone says - using logic like that - there will be no convincing you otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
And if outlandish is because I'm Dutch, that's just racism dude
My apologies if you have taken an offence, it is meant as looking or sounding bizarre or unfamiliar and some what of an alien idea when you suggest that AmiBay staff and administrators would either willing or unwittingly commit fraud, when in fact they do there up most to stop that from happening.

Its a shame you cannot see that.
Zetr0 is offline  
Old 01 May 2017, 19:54   #24
michaelz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Den Haag / Netherlands
Posts: 193
Amibay still has registration issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@michaelz

I have to admit, its the first time on line I have been called a racist on eab.



I doubt what ever anyone says - using logic like that - there will be no convincing you otherwise.



My apologies if you have taken an offence, it is meant as looking or sounding bizarre or unfamiliar and some what of an alien idea when you suggest that AmiBay staff and administrators would either willing or unwittingly commit fraud, when in fact they do there up most to stop that from happening.

Its a shame you cannot see that.


It wasn't offending you called it outlandish, me calling you racist a joke to make it a little lighter (hence the ).

On September the 2nd 2015 20:56 I created an account on amibay. I got a nice email telling me I had to click a link to activate the account. I did so instantly, and was banned immediately. I got an email:

---- begin ----
Dear michaelz,

Unfortunately, there appears to be a problem with your registration details, therefore it has not been possible to activate your Amibay.com Forum account. If you believe that this is an error, or you need some assistance with registration, please contact admin@amibay.com with a brief message and we will be in touch.

Thanks,

AmiBay Administration
---- end ----

I replied to that email;

----- begin -----
Hi,

Can you spare me some details on the why so I can correct this?

Sincere,

Michael Z.
---- end -----

I send an email on the third as well, same message.

On the 24th of October 2015 I once again send an email. Still waiting for a reply on any of these.

So to me, an active amibay admin that thinks I am worthy of their site is apparently a myth. And I'm not the only one in the Netherlands. I heard several people had trouble creating and activating accounts. The stories are likewise, banned from the start and email are never responded to.

Until the registration is fixed there is no "wow what is this great, these guys really have the communities (my) best interests in mind" from me.

Last edited by michaelz; 02 May 2017 at 19:43.
michaelz is offline  
Old 01 May 2017, 20:28   #25
Amiga600XT
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4
In fairness I don't think saying things like "Normally I don't get involved with idiots that bash AmiBay" and "Sadly Haters are going to hate" contributes anything positive to the discussion tbh.

Also I think people who relate their own (negative) experiences is not bashing as long as they are factual and not embellished !

There are a lot of Amiga sites out there and the Amiga means different things to different people, so I say just "shop around" until you find one you are comfortable with as they all have different "vibes" or whatever you want to call it.
Amiga600XT is offline  
Old 01 May 2017, 21:09   #26
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 2,175
Yes, some may be idiots, but it also appears that there are many people who have legitimate issues trying to register there. If their geolocation routines aren't up to the task (as seems to be the case sometimes), it shouldn't be used as an automatic rule. For example, I tend to show up on most sites as located in Yorkshire, when in fact I live in Glasgow, due to the fact that I have Google's location services turned off and so the routines fall back to my IP address, and hence my ISP's offices. Having to jump through extra hoops because of this common situation is one of the reasons I haven't bothered even trying to register. To be honest, any sort of address verification with liberal banning would put me off any website, especially when it's practically worthless. Ok, so I've verified that I live in London? Excellent, surely I can't commit fraud and hide amongst the 12 million other Londeners then.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 02 May 2017, 20:21   #27
michaelz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Den Haag / Netherlands
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga600XT View Post
In fairness I don't think saying things like "Normally I don't get involved with idiots that bash AmiBay" and "Sadly Haters are going to hate" contributes anything positive to the discussion tbh.



Also I think people who relate their own (negative) experiences is not bashing as long as they are factual and not embellished !



There are a lot of Amiga sites out there and the Amiga means different things to different people, so I say just "shop around" until you find one you are comfortable with as they all have different "vibes" or whatever you want to call it.


The biggest problem I see is that some people tend to sell there gear at certain sites, that block people because they don't get their algorithms right (even though they really hope to do good and this is even appreciable). This is in my humble opinion at the very least hurting the community as a whole. Because a site is simply advertising to be good, trying to do good, but actually keeping people out that are honest. (And the Netherlands appears to be a big problem for the algorithms of amibay, as I know of a dozen people in our small community that experience the same problems).
michaelz is offline  
Old 05 May 2017, 11:45   #28
michaelz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Den Haag / Netherlands
Posts: 193
Update from my side; after sending a new email, it was resolved quickly. I'm impressed, if the admins are this fast nowadays that takes most issues I had away.
michaelz is offline  
Old 05 May 2017, 14:35   #29
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 76
I really want to get on it as there are parts listed I want to buy now and I've got the cash in my hand but i cannot for the life of me get registered.

I too got banned yesterday after trying to register quickly and not correctly filling in the location part of the registration. I later corrected this in an e-mail to admin stating I'm in Northern Ireland but they just replied saying that doesn't match. I registered from my PC in work (which apparently isn't allows) and also used my virginmedia web mail for conversion with admin (also not allowed).

I can only assume they are looking at my works IP which for whatever reason with plusnet shows us located in England somewhere. They have now asked for physical proof of my location in terms of a bank statement or bill head but, and with no offence to anyone, that's way over and above what I think is reasonable. It seems to be a case of guilty until you prove your innocence.

I suppose I could drive to a Northern Ireland landmark and take a picture of myself holding my amigas.....
Glen M is offline  
Old 06 May 2017, 00:29   #30
Amiga600XT
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I really want to get on it as there are parts listed I want to buy now and I've got the cash in my hand but i cannot for the life of me get registered.

I too got banned yesterday after trying to register quickly and not correctly filling in the location part of the registration. I later corrected this in an e-mail to admin stating I'm in Northern Ireland but they just replied saying that doesn't match. I registered from my PC in work (which apparently isn't allows) and also used my virginmedia web mail for conversion with admin (also not allowed).

I can only assume they are looking at my works IP which for whatever reason with plusnet shows us located in England somewhere. They have now asked for physical proof of my location in terms of a bank statement or bill head but, and with no offence to anyone, that's way over and above what I think is reasonable. It seems to be a case of guilty until you prove your innocence.

I suppose I could drive to a Northern Ireland landmark and take a picture of myself holding my amigas.....
Yeah I am from NI too, exact same thing happened me, my IP was showing up as Scotland, I also said so in an email.

Never got a reply, and I am not going to beg to join any site !

However I definitely would NOT recommend giving a bank statement !!

There are VERY STRICT rules in how that is stored and secured (I work in IT and manage Financial Services Data) they should not be even asking for that !

I certainly would not be emailing my bank statements to Joe Bloggs.

I would be curious to know how they secure and process and more importantly verify that data..........Any AmiBay admins care to enlighten me ?

PS As for buying parts, I just use Ebay, it's Global and you have protection, as for Ebay prices - if you ever sell it you get back pretty much what you paid for it. I personally don't mind paying extra on Ebay as opposed to a gift to some stranger tbh

Just my $0.02
Amiga600XT is offline  
Old 06 May 2017, 12:59   #31
Amon_RA
Registered User
Amon_RA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Belgium
Posts: 99
Most sellers on Amibay accept PayPal, so you do have protection if you pay for goods...
Amon_RA is offline  
Old 06 May 2017, 19:37   #32
michaelz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Den Haag / Netherlands
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga600XT View Post
Yeah I am from NI too, exact same thing happened me, my IP was showing up as Scotland, I also said so in an email.

Never got a reply, and I am not going to beg to join any site !

However I definitely would NOT recommend giving a bank statement !!

There are VERY STRICT rules in how that is stored and secured (I work in IT and manage Financial Services Data) they should not be even asking for that !

I certainly would not be emailing my bank statements to Joe Bloggs.

I would be curious to know how they secure and process and more importantly verify that data..........Any AmiBay admins care to enlighten me ?

PS As for buying parts, I just use Ebay, it's Global and you have protection, as for Ebay prices - if you ever sell it you get back pretty much what you paid for it. I personally don't mind paying extra on Ebay as opposed to a gift to some stranger tbh

Just my $0.02


The best way to verify a person for a regular site that is not in the financial business is a utility bill, it does state a name and address and if recent enough it should be proof enough. It isn't valid to open a paying account. If they ask for something, I would ask if they accept that.
michaelz is offline  
Old 06 May 2017, 23:36   #33
Amiga600XT
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
The best way to verify a person for a regular site that is not in the financial business is a utility bill, it does state a name and address and if recent enough it should be proof enough. It isn't valid to open a paying account. If they ask for something, I would ask if they accept that.
No, any document that contains data that contains information which relates to an identified or identifiable individual is subject to data protection laws.

If you feel you MUST send such a document firstly only send it in grayscale and water mark it, also electronically erase any sensitive data.

I am curious to how these docs are actually verified as genuine though ? that is the big question I am puzzled about. How would they actually confirm the details are correct ?

Anyone could knock out a fake utility bill in 5 min, and unless they can verify the document it renders their "protection" as useless.

Unless they post a verification code to your address ? I don't know.

Anyways it's all too much trouble I think to join a site about 30 year old computers :/

I have owned every Amiga ever made except for the Towers

Sold most of them off, just kept a 500/1000/2000 and 4000... most used one is my 2000....best Amiga ever made imho - awesome keyboard and my dream machine when I had my 500 !!, mostly used for a bit of old skool gaming ! / listening to mods. Personally I never understood all these new addons, if it wasn't on the market before Commodore went bust it doesn't go into my Amiga lol

Anyways I'm going off topic !
Amiga600XT is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amibay help can I please register with Amibay zapp_man Amiga scene 22 14 August 2017 23:07
Amibay registration issues vtwinsuzuki Amiga scene 1 10 March 2016 22:12
Amibay strong points and issues as a retro trading site NewDeli MarketPlace 45 12 July 2011 10:18
IDEFix registration Shrub Retrogaming General Discussion 12 01 May 2010 18:42
PowerUP Registration DJBase News 19 21 April 2010 16:15

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.18990 seconds with 11 queries