English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 March 2017, 08:59   #1
witchmaster

Question Run AREXX program from PC side?

Hi!

I heard there are some "remote control" features in WinUAE that lets you automate things. I'm wondering if it is possible to run an AREXX program or shell command in the emulated Amiga from the PC side?

I have made a user defined language fro Blitz Basic 2 in Notepad++ and would like to find a way to automate Blitz Basic 2 (from Notepad++) running in WinUae to load the source file and compile. Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 March 2017, 20:38   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

One way is to configure emulated serial port as a TCP port, do something like "newshell aux:" in Amiga side and telnet connect to TCP port.

EDIT: Suggestions accepted for more useful option

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 10 March 2017 at 20:46.
Old 10 March 2017, 23:04   #3
witchmaster

Thanks! I managed to get somewhere with this but not all the way yet. I have some problems but doing these steps has gotten me quite close:

1. In WinUae set serial port to TCP://0.0.0.0:1234 with none of the checkmarks below the drop down box. Save the WinUAE configuration and quit WinUAE, add the following to the configuration file manually: serial_translate=crlf_cr

2. Create the file DEVS:MountList with following content

Code:
AUX:
Handler = L:Aux-Handler
Stacksize = 1000
Priority = 5
3. Open shell and write (I added these two commands to S:user-startup)

Code:
mount aux:
newshell aux:
4. In Putty, create a Telnet connection to 127.0.0.1:1234. Uncheck Connection / Telnet / Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M

The problem I'm having is that I need to press ENTER twice after connecting with Putty before I can enter commands and pressing up-arrow will not show latest commands, instead it will show gibberish characters (don't know if the command history is possible to fix). I would also like to know how to execute commands from command line so I can create a batch file that can be run from pressing F5 in Notepad++.
Old 11 March 2017, 14:29   #4
idrougge

Doesn't WinUAE come with uae_rcli or something similar?
Old 14 March 2017, 21:41   #5
Saghalie

Try using WinSCP, it has a rich set of features that you could try.
Old 15 March 2017, 10:05   #6
witchmaster

I ended up making a simple command line tool in C# (.net 2.0 or later required) that runs an ARexx script on the emulated Amiga. I'm leaving the link to it here if anybody else wants to use it. You need to set things up on the Amiga side as in my previous post in this thread but select "direct" under the serial dropdown box.

The tool can be used like this:

Code:
WinUAEArexx ArexxScript SleepTime Argument1 Argument2 Argument3 ...
SleepTime is defined in milliseconds, my tool is just simply executes the ARexx command and does not care about the response so a sleep time may be needed before closing the connection. All arguments will be sent as strings to the ARexx script.

http://gamephase.net/files/WinUAEArexxv10.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
Try using WinSCP, it has a rich set of features that you could try.
Thanks! I will consider it for more advanced use cases.
AdSense AdSense