English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 February 2017, 16:25   #1
Luther

Help getting started with FS-UAE

Hi there,

I'm looking for some help getting started with FS-UAE. I have downloaded and installed the Launcher but the getting started guide (https://fs-uae.net/docs/getting-started) is somewhat brief and I'm not sure how to get a game up and running.

I have some .adf files for a game I want to play (Valhalla: Lord of Infinity) but have no idea where to start!

Any help for a novice would be much appreciated!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 February 2017, 03:20   #2
amiga_Forever

Firstly, u'll need kick-start ROMS, u can get get them illegally, or get the package though Cloanto's Amiga Forever website: http://www.amigaforever.com .

Then u'll need some Games, or Demos... In the Launcher, u need to "Import kickstarts" first. That option in under the FS-UAE icon. in the Launcher window.

Without kickstart, u won't be able to play most game/demos...

Then add .adf or .zip files (complete contents of Amiga floppy disks in image form or compressed zip will do as well) to FS-UAE. in DF0, and click "Start"

You can also select your model, an in most cases that's all there is too it.

any configuration must be done in Launcher prior to Starting the emulator, otherwise any changes while running won't take effect the next start.

A500 = kickstart 1.3
A500+ = Kickstart 2.04 ...etc

Also, https://fs-uae.net/keyboard-shortcuts
Old 24 February 2017, 12:19   #3
Luther

Thank you very much for the reply!

So I bought Amiga Forever (Value version) and it gave me a .msi file. When I selected this in 'Import Kickstarts' it said no ROM file were found!

I should have said, I'm running Mac OSX...
Old 24 February 2017, 14:43   #4
mintsauce82

.msi is a Windows installer. According to the Amiga Forever site, they're working on a Mac version, but who knows when that will come out.

Still, it doesn't necessarily need to work - since you've bought it, that does make downloading Kickstart ROMs from somewhere else kind of OK (since you now have a license to use them). Have a Google around for "Amiga Kickstart ROMs", you're probably looking for v1.3 which is for the A500.
Old 24 February 2017, 16:39   #5
EugeneNine

I know there are Linux tools that can open Microsoft archive formats like cab so I bet there is one to open a msi and extract the rom.

Otherwise since you bought a legal license you just need the media <snip>

*** edited by DamienD ***

This link contains Workbench OS & Kickstart ROMs. Please don't post this on EAB and review the
board rules EugeneNine...

Last edited by DamienD; 24 February 2017 at 21:05.
Old 25 February 2017, 03:29   #6
amiga_Forever

"Ready-to-run and pre-configured universal binaries of E-UAE and Hi-Toro are included in the Private/Mac directory on the Amiga Forever CD."

However a Mac specific version would be good...

Kickstart roms are induced on the DVD, or within the downloadable Widows .msi package...

You need access to a Windows Machine, and install the .msi package... After that, go into My Computer, C: "Program Files(x86) >> Cloanto >Amiga files > Shared > rom... There is 36 in total.

Stick these on flash drive, or media and transfer or email these to Mac.... Stick these in the FS-UAE>> Kickstarts directory, and from FS-UAE click "Import kickstarts" and click Browse to location.

If u only transfer those roms u need them email could be ok as well..

Alternatively, wait for the DVD's in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintsauce82 View Post
Still, it doesn't necessarily need to work - since you've bought it, that does make downloading Kickstart ROMs from somewhere else kind of OK (since you now have a license to use them). Have a Google around for "Amiga Kickstart ROMs", you're probably looking for v1.3 which is for the A500.
I would say,, u do have a license to use them from Cloanto, because that's who u bought the software from.The license goes with it...If you bought the roms elsewhere, u have that right to use "them"

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 25 February 2017 at 03:45.
Old 25 February 2017, 18:52   #7
EugeneNine

Looks like lessmsi https://github.com/activescott/lessm...ses/tag/v1.5.1 will let you extract the roms from the msi file.
Old 05 April 2017, 11:32   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Note: Extracting files from .msi won't work. OR: You'll get the scrambled ROM files, yes, but not the rom.key file you also need. rom.key is written to disk by the installer, so you do need to install it.

See https://fs-uae.net/docs/amiga-forever for more information!

(You can probably install Wine to run the Amiga Forever installer on macOS...)
AdSense AdSense