English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 February 2017, 18:15   #1
mark_k

Toggling between mouse grabbed and un-grabbed

I have a mouse which has 5 buttons, and set the 4th button to "Toggle between mouse grabbed and un-grabbed" on the Input settings page.

I noticed a couple of issues:
  • With emulation running, un-capture the mouse then left-click in the emulation window to capture it. Pressing the 4th button does nothing. Pressing it a second time does un-capture the mouse.
  • This is probably intentional, but... If you un-capture the mouse, pressing the 4th button doesn't actually toggle the mouse-captured state, since pressing it again doesn't re-capture the mouse. Left-clicking in the emulation window does capture the mouse again.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 February 2017, 20:31   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach your config file. (Always minimize unknown variables.)
Old 14 February 2017, 21:59   #3
mark_k

Here you go. [This is on Windows 10 1607 x86-64 btw.]

Are there any input logging command-line options I could try?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4thButtonUncaptureMouse.zip (2.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by mark_k; 15 February 2017 at 15:20.
Old 15 February 2017, 18:42   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It has simple reason, mouse input is ignored if WinUAE does not have focus. Not sure if this can be fixed or worked around without other side-effects.
Old 15 February 2017, 20:27   #5
mark_k

I'm not sure I follow...

For the first point I mentioned, when "Untrap = middle button" is enabled, after you click in the emulation window to capture the mouse, the first middle button press un-captures it. But the first press of the 4th button seems to be lost/ignored.

For the second point, the emulation window always has focus (as far as I can see). WinUAE is able to detect the left button being pressed and captures the mouse then.
Old 15 February 2017, 20:51   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Oops, I meant mouse captured, not focus.

Left button always captures the mouse. When not captured, WinUAE listens for WM_LBUTTONDOWN and does not forward any mouse events to input mapping (and to Amiga side). After mouse has been captured, rawinput is used (unless "Windows mouse") and only then mouse events are again forwarded to input mapping.

EDIT: This worked in some very old (mouse movements leaked to Amiga-side even when not captured which was not that nice) version but input focus/captured state was changed to something more user friendly and to match how virtual machines commonly work.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 15 February 2017 at 20:58.
Old 16 February 2017, 12:42   #7
mark_k

OK, but what about needing to press the 4th button twice to uncapture? I was wondering whether that was some Windows 10 bug/issue, but it happens on Wine too.
Old 16 February 2017, 19:10   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
OK, but what about needing to press the 4th button twice to uncapture? I was wondering whether that was some Windows 10 bug/issue, but it happens on Wine too.
Fixed.

It was a real bug. Right button was seen as still pressed because button release was ignored because mouse was already uncaptured. Button press state should be cleared when capture state changes.
Old 17 February 2017, 20:33   #9
mark_k

This isn't related to the issue above, but since it's about the 4th and 5th buttons I thought I'd mention it here...

I noticed that the default button mapping for "Windows Mouse" has the 4th and 5th buttons both mapping to the Amiga left Alt key. Is that intentional?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE_mouse_input.png
Views:	26
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	52076  
Old 18 February 2017, 11:12   #10
Tomislav

Actually they are assigned to "Left Alt" AND "Cursor Left" (button 4) and "Cursor Right" (button 5). Go to "Game Ports" and press "Remap / Test" of Port 1 (where is Windows Mouse) and scroll down.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAEMouseButtons.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	52079

Last edited by Tomislav; 18 February 2017 at 11:17.
Old 18 February 2017, 11:55   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

That.

Default was inherited from original less configurable input system. I don't anymore remember where it came from or why..
Old 18 February 2017, 12:11   #12
mark_k

Maybe Alt-Left/Right would move to the start or end of the line in some text editor, or forward/back in a web browser??? Either way I don't think it makes much sense to have that mapping be the default.

[I noticed this before you fixed the stuck-button-state issue; booting a disk and pressing Ctrl-D, typing in the CLI showed strange characters since Alt was pressed, until I clicked the 4th button again.]
Old 19 February 2017, 13:53   #13
Tomislav

WinUAE just used default parameters from Windows. And yes they made it that it's by default as forward/back history in browser. My mouse have them, too.

If you want to reconfigure it you need to set mouse to "<none>" in "Game Ports" and set your configuration in "Input". Or you can use some of mouse configuration utilities for Windows.
Old 19 February 2017, 15:47   #14
mark_k

I don't think Windows fakes key presses for the 4th and 5th mouse buttons though, they probably (I didn't bother looking into it too deeply) generate distinct input events.
AdSense AdSense