English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 March 2003, 18:41   #61
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Hey Pyro, nice to see others know just how good the toaster is

You can get it in Europe and the UK, but you need the NTSC/PAL converter - which used to be v expensive but you can get one that does the job (just, it's not Broadcast Quality...) for a about a 100 ready made and Maplin Electronics do/did one in kit form that is not far short of BQ for not much more.

As to there never being a PAL version, I still think it was NewTech's biggest mistake, and one of the things that could have turned around industry perceptions of the Amiga on this side of the pond. Besides giving PAL people the chance to use lightwave as it was meant to be.

And for anyone who still thinks we're joking, take a look at the ceilings in Star Trek TNG. Does that look like a Lightwave/Toaster generated object, mixed real-time with the video? Oh, so it is... Can you do that on a PC NOW? Oh, no you can't.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 March 2003, 10:36   #62
IanS

Quote:
And for anyone who still thinks we're joking, take a look at the ceilings in Star Trek TNG. Does that look like a Lightwave/Toaster generated object, mixed real-time with the video? Oh, so it is... Can you do that on a PC NOW? Oh, no you can't.

Really? Well, perhaps you ought to tell the BBC they can't do it on their National news broadcasts. Gosh, they'll be so disappointed... they thought that it was 60% computer generated.
Old 07 March 2003, 11:14   #63
Pyromania

For IanS CDXL info from Carl

At Wednesday, 05 March 2003, Carl Sassenrath <carl.s@rebol.com> wrote:

>As I recall, it can handle any format because it is just a transfer method,
>not a display method. The code that displays it will need to do the right
>thing to show the result.
Old 07 March 2003, 13:08   #64
IanS

Thanks Pyro, that's an intriguing answer from Carl. Nice to see that he is so approachable too. I may try and find some more info on CDXL... but nothing TOO technical. My brain can't cope with heavy stuff. "CDXL for Dummies anybody"?
Old 07 March 2003, 13:45   #65
Syko

Hi IanS - that lovely virtual newsroom the BBC uses, erm not on a PC mate, more like a 'quite a few' (ie lots!) thousand's of pounds worth of Quantel Paintbox... and yes it does do a great deal that a toaster can not do, and will never be able to do. However the Paintbox can do nothing other than video CGI/GFX and costs a s**tload of money, way beyond the reach of any but a large production company.

The price/performance rating of the Amiga/Toaster combo is still unbeaten in the full Broadcast Quality hardware arena, and I don't expect to see anything, including the PC version of the Toaster, getting any where close, any time soon.
Old 07 March 2003, 14:20   #66
IanS

No PC's (if you're talking about 'IBM Compatible' at least), but then no Amiga/Toaster stuff either. Which just proves my original assertions. Sorry Syko, but no matter what you say, the Toaster is no longer top of the heap. It may not be at the bottom, but it's getting closer all the time.

Boradcast quality is a misnomer. It's only NTSC broadcast quality. The resolution and quality is lower than PAL, and to try tarting that up to make it better is a kludge. You can't put in what wasn't in the original without making some kind of scarifice. Just like HAM modes... close but no cigar.

Can you honestly say that there are no companies producing "Broadcast quality" output using PC's or Macs? Why, if there is such a need for the Toasters legendary abilities... has nobody else come up with a device to do it? After all, you can get just about anything else for these platforms, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Does the video world still rely solely on their 1980's Amiga?

This argument is just like the "AmigaOS is the best on the planet", "Amiga was the first and best multimedia machine" type stuff. Neither is true, and even in if were at one time... it ain't any longer.

Life's too short to spend it living in the past. Try looking ahead instead. You might get a pleasant surprise.
Old 09 March 2003, 13:41   #67
Syko

The Toaster could do what it did because of the hardware design of the Amiga, and because it had a multitasking operating system.

It would be possible to do it for a PC, but it would have to run Linux/UNIX/QNX/BeOS or MicroSoft server OS as these are the one's that support multitasking in the right way, it would need a custom GFX card for the output, which would then feed the Toaster card - although the Matrox G400/450/550 or Parhelia cards would possibly do the job, with their independant outputs.

You still need to spend thousands on the PC/video card combo for BQ output - A4000 and Toaster will do it for under 1200, under 1500 with a good NTSC/PAL converter.

Neither Pyro or myself have claimed the Toaster is still the best, but it is, still, good value for money, and easy to use; and that's what most people are wanting.
Old 10 March 2003, 07:33   #68
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
This argument is just like the "AmigaOS is the best on the planet",
Has thou taken the name Amiga OS in vain? Amiga OS is of course the best on the planet! Be careful what you type with thy keyboard mortal.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:32   #69
IanS

If you say so Syko. I'll just pop out with my 1500 and buy a brand new Amiga and Toaster then. Point me in the right direction matey... and while I'm waiting for Lightwave to render that 15 minute, PAL overscan animation, I'll spend the next 36 hours twiddling my thumbs before I can use my new Amiga for anything else. Perhaps I should spend another 5000 on some more Amiga's so I can render at the same speed as one 500 PC? Economics is so much fun eh?

Pyro... how dare you call me MORTAL? I am the god of common sense, the deliverer of reason, the one and only true god. Kneel before me you inferior minor deity!
Old 15 March 2003, 20:10   #70
Syko

In a case of PC imitating Amiga they invented the Beowolf cluster, or the render farm that we've used for years (joke). If you network the Amiga to PC's then you can use the faster CPU's on the PC's t do the rendering for you while you use the Amiga for somthing more productive, like Klondike AGA....
Old 17 March 2003, 12:45   #71
IanS

And Beowulf clusters don't use Windoze, which is always a plus point
Old 17 March 2003, 16:13   #72
Akira

My, IanS, stuck in a thread again? here, let me show you the way out. I was wondering where my sparring comanion was.
Old 17 March 2003, 17:59   #73
IanS

I can see the light! Thanks Akira, I was beginning to think it was all doom and gloom in here.

Anyway, I like to stir up a few hornets nests. Inject some life in the old place. Otherwise you lot start nodding off!

OH MY GOD... you mean there are OTHER threads? I keep popping over to PDA Street to inject some reality in to my life... all those people who feel the same about their Palm/Psion/PocketPC as you lot do about Amiga's.

Does nobody have a life any more? No? Neither do I...
Old 24 March 2003, 15:34   #74
Syko

What is life if full of care
we have no time to stand
and play with Amiga's...

AdSense AdSense