English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 February 2003, 01:22   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Question We talk the talk but do we walk the walk?

Ive just read an interesting thread on another forum. It asks the question 'Are you bored of games?'
A lot of the people there seem to be replying that they spend all their time these days talking about games rather than playing them, bacause they enjoy it more!
Is this a problem with our generation of gamers that hark back to that golden era? How much time do you actually spend playing compared to talking about games?

Is nostalgia our favourite game?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 08 February 2003, 02:07   #2
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
hehe... great thread, i've often thought about this i spend much more time talking about Amiga games than actually playing them (here, irc and work)

i'm playing alot of ViceCity at the moment thou, 6 hour game sessions a plenty
Old 08 February 2003, 02:21   #3
backintheday

Hi Guys, new to EAB, anyway I know what you mean, talking about games sometimes can be a little more exciting, maybe not where Vice City is concerned though !!!!!

Old 08 February 2003, 02:34   #4
backintheday

Hey Djay, are you still there, how far have you got on Vice City ?????

Old 08 February 2003, 10:40   #5
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile Send a message via Skype™ to Incomparabile
Few days ago I played again Kick Off 2 for Amiga for a lot of hours. I use to play only games of the old century, due to my 166Mhz, now I'm playing Toca 2. I hate all new stuff, as PS2.
Old 08 February 2003, 21:44   #6
NytroX86

I'm not sure about games in general, but I definately spend more time on EAB talking about the Amiga than I spend playing games on it. I would say though I probably am bored of games, I have a large choice of games to play but at the moment I just can't be bothered. The only game I am playing on my PC recently is a demo of Carmageddon 2 (and I just bought the full version from eBay ). But I on't talk about PC games much either.
I mostly play Amiga games for a quick half-hour fix of fun, like a Euro Cup on Sensible Soccer(92/93) or a blast through some levels of Ruff n Tumble. The only game I really want to play is Final Fantasy 7 but a mate of mine has my Disc 1 and I haven't seen him to get it back .

Old 08 February 2003, 23:18   #7
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I've experienced this phenomenon with many people in many forums already. You can usually recognize people who only talk about games (i.e. people who are purely nostalgic about them) from the way they're referring to them: in past tense ( "that was a great game" ). I can't say I belong to that group though - playing a game of The Settlers as I'm typing this
Old 08 February 2003, 23:34   #8
Djay
breakpointUK.com

ermm... i've got my mansion.. have done a couple of tommy's missions... have bought Ice Cream Factory, ShipYard, Poleposition and the all make a profit for me.... got about 70k in the bank... i have played it for that long... i've not stuck to the main missions.. i've done a lot of the extras

ITS a GREAT game
Old 08 February 2003, 23:36   #9
Djay
breakpointUK.com

i think a good balance between Retro and Modern is best, i play a few Amiga games, a few PS2 games and a few PC games... i play my GBA when i'm offsite
Old 08 February 2003, 23:49   #10
backintheday

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
ermm... i've got my mansion.. have done a couple of tommy's missions... have bought Ice Cream Factory, ShipYard, Poleposition and the all make a profit for me.... got about 70k in the bank... i have played it for that long... i've not stuck to the main missions.. i've done a lot of the extras

ITS a GREAT game
Yeah it is, i haven't progressed that far !!! I am into FIFA 2003 at the moment and trying to get through The Getaway.

I was never into the FIFA series before but they have made some real improvments to the game and it looks fantastic, all the licenses and everything.

I might try to get back into GTA though cause it is worth trying to complete it. I think I got stock on one of the missions though which is why I stopped playing it for a while.

Old 09 February 2003, 00:17   #11
Djay
breakpointUK.com

some missions i have had to retry a few times... they are a lot harder than GTA3...

i've got Getaway... but i'm NOT hooked at all... nice graphics etc... but i prefer the freedom of VC & GTA3
Old 10 February 2003, 00:35   #12
APFelon
Cable Buyer

I play a lot of games. However, I find that I am spending time with my Amiga (real or emulated) less and less.

When the mood stikes me, though, I fire up a game of Pirates! (all-time fave, Amiga version is the best bar-none) or sometimes Cannon Fodder or Walker.

I think part of the problem for me is having to muck around with the settings in WinUAE for a few minutes in order to get some of my "untried" games to work.

I just think that it sucks to put so much effort into getting a game to run, just to find that it awful.
Old 10 February 2003, 01:13   #13
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
i think a good balance between Retro and Modern is best, i play a few Amiga games, a few PS2 games and a few PC games... i play my GBA when i'm offsite
Snap!

Playing Cadaver on n off
Playing ICO PS2 (renewed my faith in modern games)
Playing Advance wars on PC (Although I have just bought it for GBA.....now I just need my GBA back)
AdSense AdSense