English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 February 2017, 02:34   #1
Pheonix

A2091 with CD Image

For some reason, if a CD is in the drive (through WinUAE's image loader, an external virtual drive, or a physical drive) and I do a unit scan WinUAE crashes. The crash occurs right after opening HDToolBox, and it is doing its Address/Unit scan. If I limit it so that it doesn't try to scan the CD there is no problem (have to put CD as 6, and limit it to 5 for example.) Attached is the logs, dmp, & configuration files. I've also tried it with ROM v7 (v6.6 are what my 2091 has,) and with both DMAC versions (don't know which one mine has till it gets here.) All with the same results. Don't know if this is a WinUAE or Amiga HW issue, as, again, the 2091 isn't here yet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amiga.zip (29.6 KB, 23 views)
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 February 2017, 16:40   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can't duplicate with WB3.1 hdtoolbox = exact versions of used software required. Enable also scsi logging (winuae.exe -scsiemulog)
Old 07 February 2017, 22:00   #3
Pheonix

I've been using the one with WB2.1 as that is the OS I'm installing, along with WB1.3, but that one doesn't come with HD tools. Using the one from WB3.1 removes the problem.

Did you want me to create logs of an actual failure?
Old 07 February 2017, 22:08   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes please. Use -scsiemulog command line and trigger the crash, then attach winuaelog.txt. Also include version of hdtoolbox ("version full <path to hdtoolbox>")
Old 07 February 2017, 22:19   #5
Pheonix

OK, here is the crash, I used the Workbench 2.1 Install Disk, Folder HDTools, Program HDToolBox

Oh, I used -scsiemulog switch in the shortcut as well
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amiga.zip (382.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 08 February 2017, 19:04   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Crash was caused by wrong buffer allocation if SCSI READ(6) had zero length (which becomes 256 blocks and this was not corrected in buffer re-allocation)

But hdtoolbox doing zero READ(6) can't be right (08.00.00.00.00.00), total read size would be 256*2048 = 524288 bytes! A590 scsi.device gets confused and sets bogus values to SCSI chip registers and then goes in infinite retry loop.

Also READ(6) is the very first command. When same CD was mounted using uaescsi.device, other SCSI commands are executed first (INQUIRY etc) and there is no READ(6) at all, hdtoolbox worked normally.

This probably needs real hardware confirmation: A590/A2091, SCSI CD and hdtoolbox on WB 2.1 install disk and CD inserted in drive. (This can't happen with IDE drives, ATAPI only supports 10 byte SCSI commands)
Old 08 February 2017, 22:34   #7
Pheonix

My A2091 is due to arrive Friday, so I'll switch back to my A2000 (currently working on my A4000 HW right now,) and test it out. I'll probably post it Saturday, as I'm usually gone on Fridays from around 5pm till 1am.

One of the reasons I used the WB2.1 HDToolBox was that it will run in WB1.3 as well, while all the ones from WB3.x won't. So I won't have to always switch to WB2.1 if I want to do anything with it. Not that it's that big a deal, since I only need to use it when I change the actual HW, though. So switching to the HDToolBox from WB3.1 is eminently doable
Old 09 February 2017, 20:26   #8
Pheonix

Got it in a day early. With ROM v6.6 it does have a problem if there is a disk in the drive during the device scan. Only, with the physical system, the CD-Rom seems to go into an endless read cycle. The read light comes on and it spins up, and just keeps going and going. After a few minutes, I gave up and shut it down.

So, I guess that answers that question. It's not WinUAE, it's actually the HW & Firmware again. Sorry to have bothered you.
Old 09 February 2017, 20:50   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks for confirming it.

Weird bug. I'd have expected Commodore hardware (A590) and software (hdtoolbox) to be fully compatible..
Old 09 February 2017, 20:56   #10
Pheonix

I have ROM v7 on it's way as well. Did you want me to test that too? Since emulation reacted the same way with either one, I don't really see the need. But, also, it never hurts to confirm. Still wish I could find a Guru ROM adapter. But it seems nobody has an extra one, and nobody is making them any more.
Old 11 February 2017, 10:13   #11
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Thanks for confirming it.

Weird bug. I'd have expected Commodore hardware (A590) and software (hdtoolbox) to be fully compatible..
It should be, but HDToolBox and the hardware it was to be used for evolved on a very rough and twisted development path. The storage hardware of the time (mid 1980'ies through early 1990'ies) was primitive (e.g. ST506 drives and their controllers) and the drive firmware more often than not tended to be buggy and/or report incomplete information.

The HDToolBox code, as well as the related prodprep shell command (which is found only on the installation floppy disk), have to work around these restrictions and bugs. The resulting code is more complex than it should be, and it obscures implementation errors in HDToolBox/prodprep, too. And that's before we even get into the problems caused by hard disks larger than 2 Gigabytes, or fixed-disc storage devices which use block sizes larger than 512 bytes, etc.

As for HDToolBox versions prior to those shipping on the Workbench 3.x disks, you should expect trouble. HDToolBox V39 is not exactly a completely different program, but most of the 120+ sets of changes checked in are bug fixes.

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 11 February 2017 at 10:22.
Old 19 February 2017, 11:52   #12
Pheonix

Well, got my v7.0 ROM in, and after fighting with it to get it working, I can confirm that the bug exists in real HW with v7.0 ROM as well.

FYI, for some reason TI Sync doesn't work with ROM v7.0, though it seems to work with v6.6. At least, if my HDD has the TI Sync Negotiation jumper in place, the system will not boot. I can't even get it to the early boot screen (hold both mouse buttons down during boot.) It goes to the grey screen, the HDD light comes on and stays on, and it just sits there. After around 5 minutes, I gave up. I honestly thought that the either the chips were bad or there was a compatibility issue with my A2091 card. Then, in the middle of negotiating with the guy I bought the chips from, I swapped out the HDD, and it worked just fine. Checked what was different, and the other HDD didn't even have that option. So, pulled the jumper, and it started working fine.
AdSense AdSense