English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 February 2017, 03:12   #1
IvanEBC

Not seeing my A600 IDE HDD

Hi Guys

I got an Amiga 600 with a 40mb HDD few days back, i've done this before so i didn't consider this an issue, i intend to get a CF adaptor so time to remove the 40, create an image and store the HDD away.

I know Winuae should be run as an admin for this to work but here's what happens.

When i start winUAE AS admin, i only see my regular harddrives.

If i start winuae WITHOUT admin, i can see the 40mb drive, but i see access denied (ALL drives say it).

Last time i did this was with a 20mb drive from an A590 and that worked fine. A600 HDD do things differently? Looking for suggestions.

Thank you.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 02 February 2017, 10:27   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
I know Winuae should be run as an admin for this to work but here's what happens.

When i start winUAE AS admin, i only see my regular harddrives.

If i start winuae WITHOUT admin, i can see the 40mb drive, but i see access denied (ALL drives say it).
How do you connect it? USB adapters rarely (if ever) work with really ancient IDE drives.

It probably only appear as working because lack of permission prevents any data accesses.

Check winuaebootlog.txt after clicking add harddrive for more detailed information.

Quote:
Last time i did this was with a 20mb drive from an A590 and that worked fine. A600 HDD do things differently? Looking for suggestions.
You had to do it differently, A590 has SCSI (or XT) drive, not IDE. Any active adapter (like SCSI<>IDE) most likely fix or "hide" the hardware compatibility problem.
Old 02 February 2017, 11:56   #3
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
How do you connect it? USB adapters rarely (if ever) work with really ancient IDE drives.
Yeah, it wouldn't work directly in my 2.5" USB adaptor cause the pins were too high due to the thickness of the 40mb mainboard - harder to explain than it is ... so i had to use my FULL sized 3.5" IDE adpaotr with a second LARGE IDE to SMALL IDE adaptor to fit into the 40mb, its ugly, i might have a look around for other adaptors, i might get lucky.

Quote:
It probably only appear as working because lack of permission prevents any data accesses.
Check winuaebootlog.txt after clicking add harddrive for more detailed information.
I think its here
opening device '\\?\usbstor#disk&ven_st9051a&prod_&rev_#51a222222222&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'
device id string: 'ST9051A 152D20337A0C'
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO failed with error code 1.
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO not supported, detected disk size may not be correct.
BPS=512 Cyls=0 TPC=0 SPT=0 MediaType=12
device size is zero!

Quote:
You had to do it differently, A590 has SCSI (or XT) drive, not IDE. Any active adapter (like SCSI<>IDE) most likely fix or "hide" the hardware compatibility problem.
Funny part of all this, i don't have a SCSI adapter so i actually can't recall how on earth i did that, but i have the image here, so i did it somehow .. irrelevant anyways.

Any windows based solutions? I tried to see if Winimage would take an Image but drive wasn't selectable. I guess i could just store it but there are a few files i want from it and a complete image is always preferable.

Thanks Toni
Old 02 February 2017, 12:14   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, drive appearing as zero size is the most common side-effect. Another less common is corrupted drive name strings.

Unfortunately some really old drives only seem to work when connected to physical mainboard IDE connector (=need old PC), some may even need forced PIO1 or PIO2 mode set in BIOS. Most likely reason is some drive firmware bug(s).

Drive model?
Old 02 February 2017, 15:37   #5
IvanEBC

Quote:
Yeah, drive appearing as zero size is the most common side-effect. Another less common is corrupted drive name strings.

Unfortunately some really old drives only seem to work when connected to physical mainboard IDE connector (=need old PC), some may even need forced PIO1 or PIO2 mode set in BIOS. Most likely reason is some drive firmware bug(s).

Drive model?
Seagate ST9051a

Got plenty of older PCs around, sounds like it might be worth a shot, plenty with IDE ports still, for a once off install to get the hdd imaged, sounds worth it.

Thank you
Old 02 February 2017, 16:35   #6
IvanEBC

Quote:

Drive model?
Used one handy older Windows 7 machine, good all rounder with floppy and IDEs still.... i removed IDE DVD Drive, put the 40mb in place and run winuae from my USB stick and it worked exactly like you said it would ...
Now imaged, and now working here on my main machine.

+1 Internet points to you, making your total about 1,658,239 so far.

In other words, thank you very much Toni...
AdSense AdSense