English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 January 2017, 15:24   #21
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
How can I add 1440x1080 to either Nvidia or WinUAE, then? I'm not sure how to do it.
You just need to add to your graphics card and it's then automatically added to WinUAE.

In my laptop I have a "Intel HD Graphics 3000" card and a "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M" card.

I usually set custom resolutions via the Intel:

AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 January 2017, 16:26   #22
DamienD
Global Moderator

Ooops, missed one of the things you mentioned:

Quote:
and I can only set the horizontal position in steps of 100 anyway.
Yes if you click / hold the slider it will move in steps of 100.

...but if you click the long bar to the left or right of the slider it will move in steps of 1 per click
Old 10 January 2017, 16:29   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's pointless to add custom 4:3 resolutions, it works fine with a native 16:9 resolution in WinUAE. For WB i've showed how you can achieve a centred display. And for games/demos. The centering success via "horizontal centering" option depends on how the display was programmend (viewable resolution). Sometimes you can get 100% centering, sometimes not.
Old 10 January 2017, 16:36   #24
Foebane

Well, I went ahead and created a custom 1440x1080 resolution on Nvidia Control Panel (because I had done it before, but a long while ago) and much to my surprise, it appeared in WinUAE when I next ran it!

As for the black border to the right, I found that -200 was around the maximum I could set the horizontal placement before it appeared, so I've kept it at that. It looks better than before, anyway.

But the real bonus is that with my monitor I can set a 50Hz refresh rate for the 1440x1080, meaning that I get closer to the genuine PAL Amiga experience!

I'll alter my configurations to this new setting and see how I get on, but it's looking promising - thanks for your advice, once again!
Old 10 January 2017, 16:41   #25
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's pointless to add custom 4:3 resolutions, it works fine with a native 16:9 resolution in WinUAE. For WB i've showed how you can achieve a centred display. And for games/demos. The centering success via "horizontal centering" option depends on how the display was programmend (viewable resolution). Sometimes you can get 100% centering, sometimes not.
But I didn't like it when one demo I tried jumped around horizontally when before it didn't, so I rejected that option. Damien himself warned me about that problem with a).
Old 10 January 2017, 16:51   #26
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, I went ahead and created a custom 1440x1080 resolution on Nvidia Control Panel (because I had done it before, but a long while ago) and much to my surprise, it appeared in WinUAE when I next ran it!

As for the black border to the right, I found that -200 was around the maximum I could set the horizontal placement before it appeared, so I've kept it at that. It looks better than before, anyway.
Great news Foebane, glad that you now have a solution that suits your setup
Quote:
But the real bonus is that with my monitor I can set a 50Hz refresh rate for the 1440x1080, meaning that I get closer to the genuine PAL Amiga experience!
Now that is cool; my Intel card doesn't let me set 50Hz

...maybe it's time for me to try setting a custom resolution using the NVIDIA card

Quote:
I'll alter my configurations to this new setting and see how I get on, but it's looking promising - thanks for your advice, once again!
Good stuff.

If you have loads of configuration files as I do (one per game, currently 1576) then a good tool to bulk edit is Notepad++.

For example, with changing your resolution from "1920 x 1080" to "1440 x 1080" you would do this:

a) Load Notepad++.
b) Select "Search" --> "Find in Files...".
c) Point to the directory where your configuration files are (see image below).
d) Enter in "gfx_width_fullscreen=1920" for your old resolution in the "Find what" area (see image below)
e) Enter in "gfx_width_fullscreen=1440" for your new resolution in the "Replace with" area (see image below)
f) Click "Replace in Files".

Saves me sooooo many hours of work compared to having to do this manually
Old 11 January 2017, 19:44   #27
Foebane

I and DamienD have come up with a solution that solves the problem I've mentioned in this thread, and it's quite easy to implement:

(bear in mind this is for fullscreen 32-bit display on a 1080p 50Hz or 60Hz monitor, you might have to adapt it for your own display resolution)

1. If your graphics card drivers allow you to do so, create a Custom Resolution of 1420x1080 at 60Hz (or 50Hz if you can, for that closer Amiga experience!)

2. Download the attached Host configuration which should display the Amiga screen directly in the centre of the 1420x1080 resolution area, with the actual graphics centred as well.

3. The 1420x1080 resolution is about 4:3 and may look stretched in 1080p, so you might need to change your graphics card to set the Scaling mode for Aspect Ratio to GPU.

The idea is that the custom setting for Horizontal Position of -244 (in Filter) should position the main part of the Amiga display right in the centre of the screen, and the custom resolution cuts off the unwanted sides of the Amiga display, including the larger left-hand side, and this specific resolution should be enough to show all of the Amiga display, but not any black borders that would show up with a wider resolution like 1440x1080 (which has been my experience).

Well, hope this helps to solve the problem I first mentioned in this thread, and I hope it's a useful option for you. Thanks, DamienD!
Attached Files
File Type: uae Foebane.uae (11.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 11 January 2017, 20:09   #28
DamienD
Global Moderator

Well done Foebane, glad you got there in the end

I didn't really do anything, just gave you some things to think about / try...

For me on my laptop, I still use a custom resolution of "720 x 576" with horizontal positioning "-250" as that works perfectly for me.

I guess everyone will have slightly different settings but I'm sure people will get the gist.
Old 24 January 2017, 16:11   #29
Foebane

I was trying out my cropped display method and discovered this example where a lot of demos (and presumably games) were programmed to include the left-hand margin that has been discussed in this thread.

These two shots are from Mahoney & Kaktus' His Master's Noise, a few seconds after the main screen appears. As you can see, in this screenshot with my original configuration, everything looks neat and centred, with the usual left-hand margin being smaller than usual, no doubt by Kaktus coding the main screen to compensate for it by shrinking the right-hand side:

Now look at this screenshot with the configuration using the custom 4:3 resolution (1420x1080) with -240 set for the X position, as described in this thread and perfected with dead centreing for the screen (-244 was a bit off):

As you can see, the credit text in the lilac bar is no longer centred, as is the text at the bottom. This particular demo has been cropped from what was intended, and chances are that if this one looks worse, then many, many other demos will, too. I have to admit, I haven't tried that many with this new configuration, but I think I will have to abandon it in favour of the old one. I don't really want to configure each demo accordingly to the screen, as that would be too much work.

In any case, the problem is only arising for those older demos (like this one) that use the Copper on the background colour, which extends beyond the bitplane graphics and makes things look uneven in the first place. However, a large number of demos don't use the background colour (although they use the Copper extensively) and are nicely presented in the middle of the screen, with only a slight off-centre horizon which is easily ignored.

I guess it's just a case of getting used to viewing Amiga graphics on a modern display, with overscan and everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAHONEY & KAKTUS his master's noise 1Q A_001.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	51808   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAHONEY & KAKTUS his master's noise 1Q A_002.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	51809  
Old 26 January 2017, 11:46   #30
DamienD
Global Moderator

Ok, so you have found 1 demo that doesn't like horizontal centering to be adjusted because the coder addressed the issue. That's hardly enough to make an assumption that it's bad to set this...

I can tell you that with 1550+ games that I've configured manually, if you don't tick "horizontal centering" or adjust the "horizontal position" the screen won't be centered and you will have larger free space on the left hand side (as demonstrated by my images in earlier posts of this thread).

Same goes for Workbench as you've also seen...

Anyway, test say 20 games and 20 demos to get a more balanced view / larger sample range etc.

Finally, I agree with you about not cropping the overscan hence why when I set the resolution of "720x576 - Fullscreen" all is good. You should use "1440x1080" that you first selected or something with the similar ratio as "720x576"

Last edited by DamienD; 26 January 2017 at 13:41.
Old 27 January 2017, 10:57   #31
Foebane

I already said why 1440 was out of the question, so that's out.

The 16:9 screenshot above illustrates what I see on my monitor in fullscreen (which is all I use) - the left-of-centre is not even that visible, and most games and demos don't use the background colour, which causes all the problems, and look nicely presented, although I didn't mention earlier that some demos are not vertically centred neither (possibly to make them compatible with NTSC).

The main issue has always been the background colour, which extends far beyond the graphics area of the Amiga, right to the limits of the visible display, and it's when that display is used for shots like this one below, that's what irks me:

See what I mean? The background colour is being used for the ground/sky gradient and the tree on the left and the building and road on the right are cut off unequally. Older demos from the early 1990s were prone to this, but that was down to the coder's choice. So neither option (to crop or not to crop) is really available, and I would prefer a single configuration.

But it's really not a problem for the most part. I also suppose you could see the Amiga screen as a sort of electronic notebook with lines (for you) and a margin (for me) which an artist can draw in the main area only. And I could just embrace the full majesty of the Amiga graphics display, and I mean every little aspect of it, including technical limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANARCHY flower power 1Q_001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	51831  
AdSense AdSense