English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2017, 20:39   #1
Foebane

Display as default seems slightly right of centre

I notice that on WinUAE, the entire overscan area is centred nicely on the PC screen, but within that area, the Workbench and all other Amiga graphics seem to be positioned slightly right of the centre of the PC screen. What's more, this seems to be default. What is the reasoning for this?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 January 2017, 22:50   #2
Foebane

Picture of my WB setup with larger border on left than on right:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...0F2bWNNYWZwMms

Configuration used:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...nVyMmREZlZkWDQ

Is there a setting to control position of the on-screen graphics?
Old 09 January 2017, 23:31   #3
DamienD
Global Moderator

Heya Foebane,

Yup, as far back as I can remember this has always been the way in WinUAE...

You have two options really:

a) Under "Display" tick "Centering / Horizontal" (this is sometimes bad as when a screen is presented it seems to jump to the left).
b) Don't do the above but from under "Filters" set "Horiz. postition" to be "-250".

As you say though, not really sure why it's the default. It's been 20 years or so, can't remember if it was like this on my real A500; hence you had to adjust the V-Hold / H-Hold on the monitor.

Toni would need to answer that one

Last edited by DamienD; 10 January 2017 at 00:31.
Old 10 January 2017, 01:16   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Go to Work -> Prefs -> Overscan and use the "Edit Text Size" and "Edit Graphics Size" option. Together with the option a) from Damien it looks fine to me.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 January 2017 at 01:25.
Old 10 January 2017, 12:57   #5
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, as far back as I can remember this has always been the way in WinUAE...
Must've been some kind of restriction Toni had to work with.

Quote:
a) Under "Display" tick "Centering / Horizontal" (this is sometimes bad as when a screen is presented it seems to jump to the left).
Tried that, it was horrible the way the picture jumped around with Vertical as well. Reminded me of the crap I had to put up with under Amiga Forever's configs.

Quote:
b) Don't do the above but from under "Filters" set "Horiz. postition" to be "-250".
I have a "Null Filter" which doesn't seem to do anything, and I can only set the horizontal position in steps of 100 anyway.

Quote:
As you say though, not really sure why it's the default. It's been 20 years or so, can't remember if it was like this on my real A500; hence you had to adjust the V-Hold / H-Hold on the monitor.
Yes, that's the problem, as the Amiga was originally designed for 4:3 CRT TVs, and with modern 1080p displays we get the full overscan area plus black bars at the sides, which makes everything look uneven.

But having a picture jumping around on some demos is even worse.

In any case, just last year I'd recorded almost 200 demo videos straight from WinUAE with the above configuration using Shadowplay, and I'm damned if I'm going to do it again.
Old 10 January 2017, 12:59   #6
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Go to Work -> Prefs -> Overscan and use the "Edit Text Size" and "Edit Graphics Size" option. Together with the option a) from Damien it looks fine to me.

Thanks, Nerd, but I run lots of non-WB stuff as well.
Old 10 January 2017, 13:09   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is correct. There is less "empty" space in right side than in left side due way chipset display works.
Old 10 January 2017, 13:13   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

For non WB stuff (e.g. games) it's pretty normal that the image isn't 100% centred. Even on real hardware. As Damien said, you had to tinker with the TV/monitor horizontal settings, the latter had knobs to tune it properly.

edit: And Toni just explained why.
Old 10 January 2017, 13:34   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I have a "Null Filter" which doesn't seem to do anything, and I can only set the horizontal position in steps of 100 anyway.
I use "Null Filter" also but "No Scaling" and moving the horizontal / vertical position to any degree works.

Edit: just tested and also works with the "Default" scaling set.

Last edited by DamienD; 10 January 2017 at 13:41.
Old 10 January 2017, 13:38   #10
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
For non WB stuff (e.g. games) it's pretty normal that the image isn't 100% centred. Even on real hardware. As Damien said, you had to tinker with the TV/monitor horizontal settings, the latter had knobs to tune it properly.

edit: And Toni just explained why.
Thank you, Toni, Retro-Nerd and DamienD!

I was wrong about Damien's second suggestion that I thought didn't work, but it just moved the overscan and graphics area around the screen, which was not what I wanted.

As for the real hardware being that way, I used a real A500 and A1200 on several TVs back in the early 1990s, and I don't remember an off-centre look to the display, but then my memory of that time is quite hazy, and it's possible that the TVs were calibrated properly to begin with, OR, I just took it as normal with the platform. I really can't remember. However, if Toni and other hardcore Amiga users and software engineers say so, then that's good enough for me!
Old 10 January 2017, 13:51   #11
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thank you, Toni, Retro-Nerd and DamienD!

I was wrong about Damien's second suggestion that I thought didn't work, but it just moved the overscan and graphics area around the screen, which was not what I wanted.
???

Here's an example in Workbench and a game. The first image in each is "horizontal = 0" and the second is "horizontal = -250":

WB:

Game:

Isn't that what you are trying to achieve? Works perfectly here
Old 10 January 2017, 14:07   #12
Foebane

Quote:
???

Here's an example in Workbench and a game. The first image in each is "horizontal = 0" and the second is "horizontal = -250":

WB:

Game:

Isn't that what you are trying to achieve? Works perfectly here
Are you using a 4:3 display? How are you grabbing these shots? I'm using a 16:9 display, and when I change that "Horizontal" value, the grey WB border moves too, keeping the WB window area off-centre. I couldn't help noticing that you've got a similar problem, as a bit of black is creeping in the right of your second WB picture.
Old 10 January 2017, 14:21   #13
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you using a 4:3 display? How are you grabbing these shots? I'm using a 16:9 display, and when I change that "Horizontal" value, the grey WB border moves too, keeping the WB window area off-centre.
My laptop is widescreen and has a resolution of "1366 x 786" set.

I don't set "4:3" or "16:9", here's my "Display" and "Filter" settings:

Quote:
I couldn't help noticing that you've got a similar problem, as a bit of black is creeping in the right of your second WB picture.
Yeah, it's slightly out...

"horizontal = -225" is the perfect setting.

When in "Fullscreen" you don't notice the above really though so kept it at a nice round figure...

Last edited by DamienD; 10 January 2017 at 14:29.
Old 10 January 2017, 14:44   #14
Foebane

Well, these are my Display and Filter options:

I notice that your Fullscreen resolution is set to what is ALMOST a 4:3 resolution, meaning that your display is nicely clipped to mostly resemble a 1990s CRT, but it seems my settings are firmly rooted in 16:9 1080p. If only there was a 1440x1080 setting, that would suit me perfectly!
Old 10 January 2017, 14:49   #15
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
If only there was a 1440x1080 setting, that would suit me perfectly!
Can't you create a custom resolution using your video card?

You can see that I have "720 x 576"; this is a custom resolution that I added
Old 10 January 2017, 15:05   #16
Foebane

Quote:
Can't you create a custom resolution using your video card?

You can see that I have "720 x 576"; this is a custom resolution that I added
You added that to your laptop? Don't you find it awkward switching back and forth when you want to use your laptop's widescreen resolution for web browsing or whatever?

I suppose I could do that, but I like the idea of being able to fire up WinUAE from the Taskbar, watch a demo or play a quick game in Fullscreen and then just hit Ctrl-F11 and be immediately back in Windows.
Old 10 January 2017, 15:09   #17
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
You added that to your laptop? Don't you find it awkward switching back and forth when you want to use your laptop's widescreen resolution for web browsing or whatever?
Not at all, my laptop is always a resolution of "1366 x 786"...

I don't switch my resolution in Windows to be "720 x 576" ever; that would be crazy

It's added as a custom resolution and when I load my configuration (which has fullscreen = 720 x576) WinUAE automatically to this changes. I can happily switch from "Fullscreen" --> "Windows" and vice-versa without noticing.

Try it, it's as smooth as
Old 10 January 2017, 15:10   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Nah, don't add extra resolutions. Any non native resolution is ugly internally scaled from the display. I tried to explain it to Damien but in this case he has a mind of his own.
Old 10 January 2017, 15:14   #19
DamienD
Global Moderator

I know you keep saying that Retro but my "Fullscreen" and "Windowed" look exactly the same and are sharp

@Foebane; seriously try and see if it suits you. I would set the "720 x 576" resolution firstly
Old 10 January 2017, 15:14   #20
Foebane

Quote:
Not at all, my laptop is always a resolution of "1366 x 786".

I don't switch my resolution in Windows to be "720 x 576" ever; that would be crazy

It's added as a custom resolution and when I load my configuration (which has fullscreen = 720 x576) WinUAE automatically changes it.

Try it, it's as smooth as
How can I add 1440x1080 to either Nvidia or WinUAE, then? I'm not sure how to do it.
AdSense AdSense