English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 December 2016, 12:10   #1
b00mer

Blizzard 1230 and memory

Hi,

Installed the latest 3.4.0 release, added Blizzard 1230 IV ROM, did a Quickstart configuration A1200 + Blizzard 1230 IV, checked that accelerator memory has 32 MB set in Expansions, set HDF manually and launched WinUAE.

There is no FAST RAM configured. Is this normal? I can add Z2 FAST in RAM configuration but I doubt this is truly necessary, since 4 banks of 8 MB is less of how much Blizzard accelerator supports.

Should probably be easy reproducible, because it is Quickstart configuration. If not, I can include logs.

Also, while opening Properties with F12 in default windowed mode and playing with various settings, I saw that sometimes bottom (approx) 50 rows are not updated anymore. They are properly updated again if I just open and close Properties window (sometimes more than once is necessary). This wasn't happening on 3.2.2 release, which I updated from.

UPDATE: The non-updatable region can be anywhere, not only at the bottom. The cause is dragging Properties window. The non-updatable region is the region that was obstructed by the Properties window before it was closed. I am on Win7 with a classic look and visual effects adjusted for best performance, if this makes a difference.

Last edited by b00mer; 28 December 2016 at 14:11. Reason: More info about non-updatable screen
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 December 2016, 16:05   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mer View Post
Installed the latest 3.4.0 release, added Blizzard 1230 IV ROM, did a Quickstart configuration A1200 + Blizzard 1230 IV, checked that accelerator memory has 32 MB set in Expansions, set HDF manually and launched WinUAE.

There is no FAST RAM configured. Is this normal? I can add Z2 FAST in RAM configuration but I doubt this is truly necessary, since 4 banks of 8 MB is less of how much Blizzard accelerator supports.
Confirmed. It was caused by (old) bug in Blizzard quickstarts, it didn't clear 24-bit addressing mode (unless JIT mode) which new autoconfig/fallback support code detected as Blizzard being in 68020 fallback mode, which disables autoconfig.

Quote:
UPDATE: The non-updatable region can be anywhere, not only at the bottom. The cause is dragging Properties window. The non-updatable region is the region that was obstructed by the Properties window before it was closed. I am on Win7 with a classic look and visual effects adjusted for best performance, if this makes a difference.
Do you mean window behind the WinUAE GUI is not updated? (That is guaranteed not WinUAE related)
Old 29 December 2016, 09:44   #3
b00mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you mean window behind the WinUAE GUI is not updated? (That is guaranteed not WinUAE related)
I mean a region of the main WinUAE window is not updated (when the emulator is in the running state) after you open the Properties window, drag it over the main window and close it. The workaround is to open the Properties window again and immediately close it (without dragging). This does not happen always, it is much more frequent if you change some setting in the Properties window as well.

It could be related to my Windows installation but then again this does not manifest in the WinUAE 3.2.2 release. I haven't tested the 3.3.x release, yet.
Old 30 December 2016, 15:34   #4
b00mer

Been playing with the non-updatable region. WinUAE 3.3.0 exhibits the same problem, but WinUAE 3.2.2 does not. Something after 3.2.2 must have changed how the main windows updates.

System Properties | Performance Options | Visual Effects certainly plays role in it. If everything is checked (Adjust for best performance), then the main windows is properly updated, otherwise it is not.
AdSense AdSense