English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 March 2003, 22:28   #41
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
80% of my psx collection was downloaded from "ftp sites" or copied from early games I rented.

I have seen a few sega saturn websites but the selection didnt seem to great, they do have some ISO's on newsgroups.

Currently there are alot of psx2 games on newsgroups (very large files).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 21 March 2003, 22:49   #42
Doozy

PSX isos

Plenty of PSX stuff there too on the newsgroups Managed to get quite a bit from there

Old 21 March 2003, 22:55   #43
Daz

If this was any other kind of forum one (such as myself) would inquire as to the whereabouts (server) of these said newsgroups.

Ahem...
Old 21 March 2003, 23:20   #44
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
If this was any other kind of forum one (such as myself) would inquire as to the whereabouts (server) of these said newsgroups.

Ahem...
alt.bxxxxxxx.x.xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<akira>
No pirry stuff at the EAB please....
</akira>
Old 21 March 2003, 23:39   #45
Daz

Secretly Copies and pastes...
Old 22 March 2003, 00:05   #46
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
alt.bxxxxxxx.x.xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<akira>
No pirry stuff at the EAB please....
</akira>
That was just a newsgroup available to everybody with internet service. I never post FTP sites or p2p
Old 22 March 2003, 00:09   #47
Echo

I bought a PS2 at Xmas and was entertained by the 6 games I bought for just 2 weeks. Since then I've not had an urge to switch it on once.

Now I'm no Amiga nutter, I've long accepted that the PC took over from Commodore's stupidity many years ago. But these new consoles appear to be a waste of money.

Arm yourself with a few MAME/Amiga/SNES classics and you'll be far better entertained.
Old 22 March 2003, 00:15   #48
Unknown_K

It all depends on what kind of games you like to play. I usually plug in the psx or dreamcast if I want to kill an hour having mindless fun. The games I play on the main PC are usually best with a few players on the internet and sometimes are more effort setting up then I feel like doing at the time.

Most of the single player games I get into are old dos games on my old dos rigs, and the older amiga/c64 stuff.

But there are a ton of fun games on the psx and dreamcast, not sure about the psx2 since I dont have one yet. Once they are $100 or so I will get the psx2 and probably the xbox also.

Sonce I have more games then i can play now I am in no hurry, that and you need a dvd-rw to get the most out of the newer consoles unless you have alot of uneeded cash (and I dont at the moment).

Latest and greatest doesnt allways mean the best.
Old 22 March 2003, 00:46   #49
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
That was just a newsgroup available to everybody with internet service. I never post FTP sites or p2p
I know, I know, but the *DSA, and stuff... it sucks... mkay? Daz got his pointer already so all is ok...
Old 16 April 2003, 07:10   #50
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm.. It looks like I only had one crap PSX game after all

That's not true, I just got lazy

Anyway..

Zark, today I got the sequel to Vandal Hearts, Vandal Hearts 2.

I played it for a while... I am no fan of RPGs, but this one looks very promising.

The plot seems to be interesting, but the main thing it's the battle mode. It's a lot like the one from Shining Force (My fav RPG ever), but with the 3D scenarios and more gimmicks, it makes it even better.

The graphics are very interisting. To Mix 3D backgrounds with 2D sprites was a great idea. This way you can have lots of cool efects like rotation and zoom, and still have good, detailed sprites.

The game only misses in the sound department. The music isn't that good, and there's no speech, the dialogues are all written. Well, this takes me back to the Mega-Drive/SNES RPGs age

But it really looks very promising, mainly because of the battle mode (For me, an RPG is made 90% of its battle mode, because that's where the gameplay lies). Maybe it will take Shining Force from the position of my fav RPG ever
Old 16 April 2003, 16:08   #51
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

@Shatterhand, we'll convert you yet!
I never personally played Vandal Hearts,(actually had the choice between hiring it & another konami RPG called Suikoden out & went for the latter,eventually buying Suikoden), but graphically I think they'd shared some similarities,(my memory is a bit hazy on that though)-I quite agree that I enjoyed the cartoon/anime visuals.

I liked Suikoden's combat system a lot, certain groupings could produce combo attacks of two or even three characters combining on the one attack, & as you increased your army you'd see gradual improvements to your home base with newly built areas etc. My biggest reget was not being able to get the sequel or to even see Suikoden 3 on PS2,(Excepting FF games, there's no market here for console RPG's. )
Old 17 April 2003, 06:49   #52
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Convert me? I doubt it

Unless if someone makes a series of RPGs that, when in battle mode, you have to play Uridium 2 or something like that

I played a little bit more of Vandal Hearts 2. It's no ordinary RPG reallty, it playes more like Snatcher. with menus to make your choices. You don't "walk" with your character, you just tell him where to go. There is some *slight* adult content which surprised me, but it's very soft and hidden. If you are a kid, you won't understand it, but if you are grown-up, you will see it.

There are some stupid stuff that you find in ANY rpg, like people telling you some nonsense, so you can just understand the plot better (In the beggining, you have to find a certain man, and when you look for him in the tavern, everyone talks about the history of the village, and if they saw the man or not). But the main thing really is its battle mode, which is just fantastic. So far, I only have 4 heroes in my party. If the party goes bigger, I can see some big, great battles happening. It plays like Battle Isle or something like that, just MUCH better.

I may search for Suikoden then, if you say it's good
AdSense AdSense