English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 February 2003, 07:08   #21
th4t1guy

I've never liked PSX games. Either the same thing had been done better on another system, or the games were just plain bad.

Their was too much focus on 3d, especially for it being as underpowered as it was, and the controllers were the most uncomfortable things I've ever used.
Supposedly their sports games are good, but seeing how I don't play that genre, I can't really comment on that. Sure, there might be one or two decent games for it, but they were nothing to shout about.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 February 2003, 07:24   #22
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I liked the PSX controllers. The system was very powerfull at the time it was released, and unlike the ps2 its hardware abilities were never blown out of proportion to reality. I think the dreamcast visually looks as good as the ps2, though the ps2 can crunch more numbers in the same time given its hardware.

Consoles are like cars, either you like them or you dont. Some are better at one thing then another (shooters compared to rpg's etc).

Anyway there is more then enough room for multiple consoles in my opinion. Once the ps3 comes out I will probably get a modded ps2 and start collecting those games also. Each system has games that look/play better on their hardware then a competing system (some c64 games are better then the atari 800 ports, atari st compared to amiga ports etc).
Old 05 February 2003, 09:07   #23
th4t1guy

Everytime I played a playstation (or the original NES), I'd end up with blisters on my thumbs. I just never liked Sony I guess. The Saturn was just about as powerful as the PSX, and I thought a lot of the games on that were not only funner, but looked better. Same goes with N64.
Old 05 February 2003, 16:26   #24
cv643d

Picked up a modchip for my Saturn last year, in my first week I burned up a over twenty CDR's. I was totally blown away by the quality of the games. Now I have about 45 pirated games (I do have 16 originals too so dont call the police yet ) , out of them probably 10 I can live without..

So many good stuff on the Saturn like pixel perfect arcade ports of Afterburner2, OutRun, Salamander, Chase HQ ... and 2D shooters, not only 1 or 2 shooters but a lot! Finally im a big Street Fighter fan, on Saturn I can play SF2, SFA1-2-3, Marvel super heroes and the list goes on...
Old 05 February 2003, 16:40   #25
Unknown_K

I have been thinking about getting a Saturn + modchip (looks like all you have to do is connect 1 board in the unit.. no nest of wires to solder). How big are the cd images for the games?
Old 05 February 2003, 19:52   #26
Akira

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I have been thinking about getting a Saturn + modchip (looks like all you have to do is connect 1 board in the unit.. no nest of wires to solder)
Make sure you get a NEW model Sega Saturn (round power and reset buttons), otherwise you'll be in hell trying to find a bloody 20 pin modchip.

I have an old model one, hence, unchipped.
Old 05 February 2003, 21:40   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I rated Jumping Flash quite highly on the PSX, nice idea, and nicely done.

I still think if the coder and graphics artists work together properly, a PSX game can still look pretty good. I think its lack of memory for High Resolution graphics, make it look more dated than it is.
Old 06 February 2003, 20:31   #28
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I already bought a modded saturn, which hopefully will be here next friday.

I don't hate the PSX, I agree most games recommended here are good fun games, and it has a fair amount of good games. It's just that it has a BIG amount of crap games, and this really surprised me. I have around 20-25 games for now, and about 50% of them suck bad. Just take a look of the lineup I am hunting for the PSX, most of them are PSX-only games, and I know they are great.

And I don't have nothing against the C64, it's a very nice machine. It's just about the old childish 8 bits discussion, and I always have to say my machine is better than yours

OOhhh, I still have to talk about my next crap PSX game, I am just lacking the time.
Old 06 February 2003, 20:51   #29
cv643d

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I have been thinking about getting a Saturn + modchip (looks like all you have to do is connect 1 board in the unit.. no nest of wires to solder). How big are the cd images for the games?
I think it depends but I remember soldering 2 wires onto chips. Not a big problem if you are carefull. CD images are from 2-30 MB to 700 MB.
Old 06 February 2003, 22:15   #30
Unknown_K

A few wires isnt too bad, the psx mod had more then 2, the ps2 has a few dozen. Companies are making it more of a pain in the ass to mod consoles but very few are uncrackable for very long.
Old 07 February 2003, 00:45   #31
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I've heard the Gamecube is very easy to mod.
Old 07 February 2003, 01:42   #32
Peanutuk

What would be the point in that?
Old 07 February 2003, 08:05   #33
th4t1guy

To play imports I assume.

(also, it makes you l33t!)
Old 07 February 2003, 08:49   #34
Pyromania

I always hated the NES, Super NES and black and white Gameboy and found them lacking and boring compaired to Amiga/CD32. When the Playstation came out I found it refreshing and cool compaired to what else was out at the time. I think Sony is doing a good job with the PSX line. Fro the record I like GBA & the Gamecube. I also like the Dreamcast and have two of them.

Last edited by Pyromania; 07 February 2003 at 09:09.
Old 20 March 2003, 05:48   #35
Fissuras
Old Luny

Shat, did you found those games? I've found them all on e-mule. It took ages but... all your IZOZ are belong to us!!!!!!
ZanacXZanac is fantastisc.
Old 20 March 2003, 06:14   #36
Unknown_K

Every console ever made has at least a few cool games for it. Its also nice for 2 people to like the same console for completely different types of games.
Old 21 March 2003, 05:37   #37
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

No, I didn't get then yet. I have a friend who said it has those games, then he said he doesn't have, but his cousin does, so I have to wait 'til he contacts his cousin. The liar

He said his cousin is a shmup addict, he has R-Types, Einhander, Thunder Force 5 and Philosoma.

I got Strikers 1945 II elsewhere.

And Zanac X Zanac, I am still hunting...

Those P2P programs don't work here for some weird version. Either they don't connect, or they give me a BSD. Shame .
Old 21 March 2003, 17:18   #38
Daz

I have a modded Mk1 Saturn (psu Screwed to the top of the machine) Love the beast - Currently obtaining blisters after a heavy session of KOF96 (quie good).

Thanks to all your suggestion in my PSX thread ive got quite a few on thier way (only have Tomb raider atm - eek!)

Thw wierd thing is most of my consoles are chipped but i've never had a single copied game!

I once had Metal Slug for the saturn that was corrupt but thats it - and I thought it was suppose to be easy to find games on the net!

oooo Vib Ribbon's just popped through the door - bbl....
Old 21 March 2003, 19:51   #39
cv643d

I find it very hard to find PSX games on the net. I have searched IRC for some good fservers but most ISO oriented fserves is more concetrated on CD32/SegaCD/Saturn, ie stuff that failed, and must be good then, because it wasnt a commercial succsess.
Old 21 March 2003, 20:07   #40
Daz

Like I said i've only ever seen 1 game!

Now dreamcast, theres a different beast altogether!
AdSense AdSense