English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 January 2017, 21:12   #21
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Looks perfect

Perrhaps there should be automatic "delayed" locking, if drive is read-write mounted and writing returns error: check if drive has mounted partitions (also probably best to abort if NTFS partitions found), if found, automatically lock&dismount them and retry operation.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 January 2017, 21:27   #22
BlankVector

The current "lock at startup" behaviour already looks perfect for normal usage. I don't think that delayed locking would improve any real-world scenario.
Old 15 January 2017, 22:49   #23
fgh

Can we now prep devices with FAT partitions in winuae without removing partitions first?

If you don't want them locked permanently, perhaps you could unlock them when emulation is paused?
Old 16 January 2017, 08:54   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Can we now prep devices with FAT partitions in winuae without removing partitions first?
I think so. I am not yet sure what to do if drive has NTFS partitions, currently it prevents locking but perhaps some big warning dialog is good enough. (You can't lock drive that has open handles or system files anyway)

Quote:
If you don't want them locked permanently, perhaps you could unlock them when emulation is paused?
That can cause confusing errors. For example pausing (including entering GUI) when emulation has partially formatted some important MBR or FAT block = Windows may show error dialogs to user when it attempts to remount (now) damaged FAT partition.
Old 16 January 2017, 13:26   #25
idrougge

Yes, that sounds like it's filled with unintended side-effects.
Old 16 January 2017, 20:55   #26
BlankVector

By thinking twice, you should lock all partitions when WinUAE is running, not only FAT ones. That would ensure that no one will write to the disk when it is mounted in WinUAE. Including if someone runs (willingly or not) a second instance of WinUAE with the same settings.
Old 16 January 2017, 21:20   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I won't allow non-FAT partition locking that easily, I probably refuse to lock any partitions if drive has one or more NTFS partitions. I don't trust users to not do something that should not be done..
Old 16 January 2017, 21:28   #28
BlankVector

Now I understand: you fear that the user trashes his Windows partitions by mistake with WinUAE, right?

There are actually 2 different notions:

1) Mounting
Of course, it's up to you to decide which drives are allowed to be mounted in WinUAE.

2) Locking
But when you have decided to mount a disk in WinUAE, you should always lock all partitions. By locking, you ensure that no one will mess your data from outside. Also, locking prevents you to use (and mess) a drive which is already mounted somewhere else (i.e. Windows filesystem).
Old 16 January 2017, 21:35   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVector View Post
Now I understand: you fear that the user trashes his Windows partitions by mistake with WinUAE, right?
That.

Quote:
But when you have decided to mount a disk in WinUAE, you should always lock all partitions. By locking, you ensure that no one will mess your data from outside. Also, locking prevents you to use (and mess) a drive which is already mounted somewhere else (i.e. Windows filesystem).
Locking has nothing to do with this.

When harddrive (or hardfile) is opened, open parameters include share mode (which tells what other processes can do with this "file"). If hdf/drive is opened read-only: allow other read-only openers to open it. If opened read-write: no one else can open it (returns sharing violation error).
Old 29 January 2017, 20:26   #30
BlankVector

Strangely, WinUAE can access the FAT16 partition of my CompactFlash/USB drive without Administrator privileges. Maybe a strange Windows rule about removable drives.

On the other hand, my second partition formatted as ext2 is only accessible with Administrator privileges.

Not a big issue, as I can easily always run WinUAE with Administrator privileges, but somehow inconsistent.
AdSense AdSense