English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2017, 08:50   #61
amiga_Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
In relation to the Amiga 500:

Sharp X68000 (better than the Amiga, IMO)
Apple Macintosh Plus
Acorn Archimedes A3000 (though a 32/32bit RISC instead of a 16/32 CISC, the final product - in terms of gaming software - was pretty equivalent to an Amiga.)
IBM PC Compatible 386 (also different in terms of architecture, but also somewhat comparable to the Amiga in terms of gaming software if it was equipped with a sound card)

In terms of 8bit proximity, both the C64 (natch) and the Atari 800 are noticeable ancestors of the Amiga.
You reckon an Acorn was comparable to an Amiga ? I used one in school, and they had good selection, but i guess its mostly what it's used for.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 January 2017, 09:15   #62
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
You reckon an Acorn was comparable to an Amiga ? I used one in school, and they had good selection, but i guess its mostly what it's used for.
As someone who has written an Acorn FPGA core (A540)... the Archimedes series kicks the Amiga's ass and eats it for breakfast. No comparison at all. The iPhone is an Archie basically.

It was too expensive.. way too expensive and it needed 8 times the RAM to do the same as an Amiga. There was no DMA... but since the ARM cpu is basically the best blitter ever there was no need.
Old 31 January 2017, 23:18   #63
Xebec

I know this isn't the question -- but -- the Atari 800 is probably the closest machine architecturally to the Amiga .

- Custom chips (3) sharing RAM with processor. (4 if you count the processor...)
- System clock is based on the PAL/NTSC frequencies (1.77/1.79 mhz)
- "Color full" 256 colors, with tricks to display all on screen at once (line by line palette changes)
- Hardware sprites ("player/missle graphics")

And in one way is more advanced than the Amiga (and Atari ST):
- Atari SIO is an early form of USB (carries data, voltage across a universal cable -- devices have firmware that upload upon power on). The speed this serial port can sustain is higher than the serial ports on the ST or Amiga.. (72000 bps or higher works)

For a system launched after the Amiga 1000; I'd vote for the Sharp X68000 easily. It was built to run games/arcade ports -- the original Amiga (and Atari 800) was/were designed as games machines. Though, the X68000 did have separate VRAM (i.e. What Jay Miner wanted in 87-89)..

Atari STE (1989) is the purely closest cousin of course..

Acorn Archimedes is a cool machine though it doesn't have sprite support, hardware scrolling assist (blitter), or a lot of the tricks the other machines listed here have.
Old 01 February 2017, 02:10   #64
hitchhikr

Back on topic.

The TI-89, TI-92, TI-92 Plus and Voyage 200 from Texas Instruments are running on 68k processors (10/12 mhz) and using a simple frame buffer as video memory (planar like the Amiga).

There's a lot of games (some with sources, some without, in C or ASM) here:

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/

Converting them to a machine like the Amiga shouldn't be too hard (they may require redrawing the gfx for higher resolutions and adding music/fx, tho ).

Last edited by hitchhikr; 01 February 2017 at 14:50.
AdSense AdSense