English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 March 2017, 19:53   #21
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
MPEG-1 is an old standard which is not too heavy, offers moderate compression, has good audio quality (mp3 is MPEG-1 layer 3), is widely supported and doesn't have many legal liabilities. H.264 is the industry standard today with high compression and good quality but has legal hurdles. Ogg Theora has similar performance without the legal issues and is gaining support, especially on the internet.
My examples are with Opus audio average 32kbps (max VBR 64kbps).
MPEG-1 was slower to encode (8 times slower than h.264).
h.264 can be beneficial on Amiga due significant changes in codec architecture (by definition h.264 not using any float), i further reduced required processing power by not using CABAC.
Legally h.264 is not a problem (but your concerns are valid) - there is next generation codec which should be free from legal problems (http://aomedia.org/) but seem it will be to heavy on CPU's common in Amiga.

Quote:
Amiga users don't have as many options for video. MPEG-1 videos are small enough to reduce disk loading bandwidth requirements while being light enough for older CPUs. There are older codecs like Cinepak and Sorenson (can be in AVI or QT files and played with the fast MooVID/Action) for even slower CPUs (but needing higher disk bandwidth and more storage space).
And both (Cinepak and Sorenson are closed source codecs).
But anyway - one of mine examples is MPEG-1 video with Opus audio in Matroska container (due open nature of Matroska and overall low overhead to conserve bandwidth).

So if there is any chance for Amiga to play Matroska with Opus Audio codec (32kbps average VBR sounds quite OK from my perspective - btw my examples has audio resampled to 24kHz) and with MPEG-1 video codec (example use fully integer based YCgCo color space for expected substantial increase in decoding speed, also there is no B frames to reduce overall CPU load).

Quote:
HAM8 offers some compression itself with a kind of hardware decompression on AGA machines but long videos made of HAM8 frames are going to be excessively large and impractical.
Some people on EAB will not agree with you, personally i share same impression (HAM is hardware video decompressor).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 March 2017, 05:53   #22
movec

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Which file system do you use? Are you using standard IDE or a SCSI board?
If you are using the (very slow) FFS then switching to PFS3 will really help.
Good point, way too slow I am using a FastATA 4000 card. I just noticed that it was set to PIO0. I changed it to PIO4, now it loads the entire video in 1:50 (instead of 5min).
Old 06 March 2017, 06:25   #23
movec

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
i had some problems with anims larger than ram size. i wrote down some wavetracer guide[/URL].
using you can play those big anims from harddrive.
there is also a to a java based peecee application, which is the successor of wavetracer.
Unfortunately biganim doesn't work on my system - it crashes in the RAM handler when starting to play.

For the sfxanim I started to write my own little tool that adds the sound data to the anim file. Regarding the play speed I have solved the mystery. If AnimFX plays frames from the accelerator card's RAM it's fast enough, if it plays it from the Zorro RAM card's memory it's too slow with Anim7L @25 FPS. I also tried it without the Zorro RAM, but AnimFX only pre-loads frames, and once loaded it plays to the end of the loaded frames. Then it loads again as many frames as possible (which makes the video stop for some time) ... I guess biganim buffers the data in a smarter way ...
Old 06 March 2017, 14:53   #24
emufan

hmm, so conclusion is, we need a better player
AdSense AdSense