English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 November 2016, 20:45   #21
emufan

yep, its all about some blueprints, someone able to provide them or do some rocketscience, reverse engineering it.
the other side is the RTG driver framework (P96/CG) - nothing has been made public.
and chances are low. this was discussed after the Vampire cpu/gfx cards were introduced.
since the amiga os does not have a rtg api, we have to deal with the existing Picasso96/CyberGraphx drivers.
uagfx is based on the P96 framework and further development depends also on a public release of the p96/cg framework.
and this does not seem to happen any soon.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 14 November 2016, 05:17   #22
JZon

Wow!

I DID NOT KNOW THAT.

Thank you for clearing that up.

It seemed like in the early days, everything was all available. It was a different time. Life was a party, and the party was life. I thought for sure the direction was going like at the end of the movie, "Tron" (the first one).

I try to contact experts or nxp, for example, and get caught up in a maze of links. (crazy)

Whatever happened to Cotton Candy? I was thinking a bunch of these daisy chained in a hollowed out c=64 might be cool. RollTop looked cool. The P5040quad surfaced in my searches. Found writeups on x5000 and nxp/freescale's computer.

Still haven't found a benchmark for the fully expanded x1000. My guesstimate (as far as mhz) was 5.8 ghz.

Wasn't the genie out of the bottle for a little while there? Does Hyperion hold the key (so to speak)? It's funny, it was all a blur. I remember (like Phil Donahue) heated arguments, lawsuits, then I move to Hawaii and the next thing I know I'm buying an Abox from Mat over at Amigakit. LOL (left it in hawaii) (aunt might still have though)

(spent over a grand or so with shipping from uk. lol)

(came with a big dent from shipping. but it worked. interesting machine. I think it was an a1200 inside)

No, first it was c=64, (Santa), then I bought the a500 in '87, then 15 years drip away, bam, macmini, another half a decade, Toshiba P6000 laptop new oldstock ($329.99) and in between time I'm looking online at things like sgi workstations while playing cutting edge racing games like burnout. So that would be Pong, Atari2600/5200/Odyssey2000, c=64/datacassette(Jumpman)(then floppy), Amiga, Dreamcast!, PS2, (Ratchet & Clank) stop. Followed regular drafting, Cadkey (Commodore), AutoCAD(adv10), Modeler/VideoScape3D, witnessed first touchscreen multimedia computer at the '90 Commodore Convention in Atlanta and a working VT setup a few years after that, then bought modo 201, then got into gimp, inkscape, ai, and svg.

(video games and watching wcw wrestling stifled a lot of learning)

(lol)

(Oh yeah, made the smiley face on c=64 following the instructions verbatim and hours typing in basic making sure the syntax was correct. lol) (Had better luck recreating the board from the arcade game Popeye. Because the symbols under the keys were many.) (also witnessed KoalaPad)

Now I see a full gaming pc, new, buy it now, for $400, coming in at a whopping 4 ghz.

I know a couple of guys I could contact. One's a silicon valley tech, the other does modifications (and a successful business at that). (I'd need a physical device, could just buy one.)

If you could select the best of the best rtg's which one would we pick for the proposal?

Thank you very much! Brother Jzon

(Also saw A4000t being bid on, not buy it now, out of austria) (wasn't Poland the first guys to make a 64 bit elbox or something like this?)
Old 14 November 2016, 12:50   #23
idrougge

Please don't post while intoxicated.
Old 14 November 2016, 13:16   #24
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZon View Post
Now I see a full gaming pc, new, buy it now, for $400, coming in at a whopping 4 ghz.
Yep, it's funny how new, powerful computers are getting cheaper and cheaper, while old, slow computers are getting more and more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Please don't post while intoxicated.
Please don't mind idrougge, he's just the resident, miserable, unhappy bigot.
Old 15 November 2016, 01:39   #25
emufan

when you ask, who holds the keys, take a look at the AmigaDocuments Collection - worth a bookmark.

once the NG amigas were introduces, i was thrilled, but way to expensive for me.
a basic peecee with winuae is good enough for me

Quote:
If you could select the best of the best rtg's which one would we pick for the proposal?
i think the voodoo is the best choice, but there was also a permedia 2 based gfx card, which was a good chip back in the days.
but there are also almost no technical data available :/

idrougge's dry sense of humor is not so bad, if you dont take it too personally
Old 15 November 2016, 03:53   #26
JZon

Triple response wrapped in a paradigm shift

New computer!

The x5k.. P5040quad!! Like x1000, if expanded, what is it's ghz? (I wonder what rtg.. stuff it's evolved to)

I did manage to find a guesstimate from an expert in Germany, upwards of a million. Why not fundraise for something less expensive, as far as rtg? (Like Amiga on a thumb drive (sold separately) plugged into a custom rtg box with all sorts of other things) Has anyone done this? (put an amiga on a flash drive too?)

What if one were to find an actual a4000t and backwards engineer this? Is this what one refers to as, "cracker"?

(1st car, Volvo 164e)

emufan. thank you. thank you. as always. great links. checking out now.
idrougee. thank you. thank you. you have call.
Old 15 November 2016, 04:22   #27
emufan

it was discussed to organize a bounty to free Picasso96/CyberGraphix.
but some individual/schoenfeld/individual computer is about to buy it on its own,
even while he has nothing to offer around rtg - he is just nasty - to say the least.
but thats another story - not worth to discuss, since he is living in is bubble.

alot of those reverse engeneering is already build in Winuae. Toni Wilen did a great job with probing the amiga
hardware with oscillator and such technical stuff.

the Vampire Apollo Project is based on those rocketscience too.
they rebuild the amiga chip-set with VHDL and backed it into a chip.
they plan to release a standalone version of their card, which may fit one day on a thumbdrive.
like an amiga-(amazon)-stick or something
Old 15 November 2016, 07:01   #28
McTrinsic

Are we bashing people here again for nothing?

So far everything around that has evolved pretty good for the community. The FPGA- graphics card got green light and is further developed with P96. They have a solution. The oh-so-evil RR issue got solved, imagine that!

Cheers,
McT
Old 15 November 2016, 21:34   #29
JZon

quick update

found this..

https://hardforum.com/threads/3dfx-r...-2013.1771419/

It's ironic. The star pupil of computing, Amiga, and graphics cards, 3Dfx, go under.

Which model Voodoo is best? Rampage?

Old 15 November 2016, 22:11   #30
emufan

i'm not sure which was the best, but the one for winuae is voodoo 3,
which is emulated in MAME. this is the one we may see in winuae sooner or later.
Old 16 November 2016, 14:33   #31
JZon

Harmony

I'm seeing development, as with 3dfx, is closely aligned with hardware and software.

Also seeing how development as a whole depends a lot on the processor(s).

I try contact Aeon yesterday about the x5000. Why is the American site showing ppc e5500 as the processor? I thought it was supposed to be the nxpP5040quad.

As far as Vampire, aren't we trying to stay pure to form, as like asic as opposed to fpga? (waiting on response about Amiga on flash drive)

I tried to contact the guys concerned with the microprocessor in Amigas and now I don't know who is concerned with the microprocessors in 3dfx. (The Amiga guy works in a nuclear facility now, if I'm not mistaken. There's also a board guy. Didn't hear from him either.)

I think they have fallen victim to having been 'bought out'. (I would've taken the money and given the Amiga community what they need) (It's funny, most people don't understand the difference between freedom and buying/renting freedom)

Old 16 November 2016, 15:27   #32
emufan

Aeon: the french shop lists a P5020 @2GHz - strange. not sure what the final product will come with. perhaps they will offer pro/low end versions? i have no idea.

Vampire: it was discussed producing asics, since they would allow much more speed compared to fpga. if at all, this woul take place somewhere in the future.
the fpga core is still in development, while new features will be added.
updates are delivered on a steady rate. so using fpga now, is the best way.

vampire currently use a more or less "simple framebuffer" for their rtg facility.
thiis might evolve in something supporting basic 3D fucntionality in the future.
since the developer team is small, all this will take time.

if i'm not wrong, the 3dfx/voodoo driver was done for the elbox pci expansion boards. this one for example.

Quote:
funny, most people don't understand the difference between freedom and buying/renting freedom
so true
Old 19 November 2016, 02:04   #33
JZon

UN sucking believable!

https://sites.google.com/site/amigad...Current-Status

Just got done with this..

Francis, Bill, and the truck driver! LOL No wonder. It all makes sense now..

I had been thinking in the back of my mind, the major players wanted their os to blossom, but now, it's apparent they have an account to simply stifle competition. They found the right stooge. lol

This write up also explains why I can't find the page that brought me to this post initially! (SOLVED) LOL

Thank you . Thank you.

Also explains why I don't get responses. Good to know. Good to know.

Has anyone done any investigation into these new Amiga companies that have blossomed? (I have a feeling the discrepancies we've been seeing on their sites are signs that 'it ain't over yet')

Old 19 November 2016, 15:45   #34
JZon

First Contact!

Hello.

My name is Brother Jzon.

Just made first contact with Amiga on the Lake!

They replied, yes, the A1x5K will come with the P5040quad, but he doesn't have an eta.

Great news! Just wish they knew the time schedule. Also followed up with questions concerning 'about' the company and what kind of docs are available. (Will report findings!)

Last edited by JZon; 19 November 2016 at 16:11. Reason: forgot full name of newest amiga hybrid
Old 19 November 2016, 16:23   #35
emufan

yep, the amigadocuments website is a good read.
and its the only source which deals with the amiga history. i'm sure any new findings will be added,
including those of the newer companies in amigaland.

i thought they already selling the x5000 machine. well, at least they confirm the cpu. good news
Old 22 November 2016, 03:04   #36
JZon

Update

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84782&page=2

Oops, I just erased my big message, I took too long to reply on! LOL

Amiga on the Lake sent pdf. (no discrepancies, everything computing) I'm in a rapport now with some loaded questions, will keep advised)

Vampire responded. (Good things here)

I'm looking at art programs and assign config for each..

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewConfigs.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	50947

To save time, I'm copying the contents of a stock WB3.9bb2 directory to a new directory (instead of installing each time). The 68030 configs can take the copied contents of previous directory. But if I try 68060 with MMULib and Picasso96, these contents, they ask for the previous directory. (DF0: ( x ) )
Old 22 November 2016, 09:45   #37
emufan

hmm, just load one of the troublesome 060 configs and look in "Floppy Drive" / "CD & Harddrives" for some path mismatch. must be something trivial.

"Amiga on the Lake" this is A-Eon? maybe i missed something, do they locate on a Lake?
sorry i dont understand
Old 22 November 2016, 20:55   #38
JZon

Best Guesstimation

AOTL. You know, I didn't go into that on my email. Good question. (wish I had a good answer) I suppose it would show in the about link at their site. (Haven't checked) Yes, the first email response confirmed that Aeon was making the boards and Hyperion was supplying the software. (My very first question(s) (1st email) concerned 'blueprints' (LOL) and ownership (stuff), but the first reply avoided both of those questions. lol It'll be interesting to see how they respond this time, as I was more specific. (lol)

Trivial, yes, but I like the word, "magical". I think Amiga os classic was so 'tight', that these things were interchangeable. Actually, if my imagination serves, that original set of files and folders are probably set up to look for their hardware counterpart. When installing P96/ÁLib, it asks to identify where it's going. So, I'm thinking there is a resolve. Maybe at the code level. With some software rewrite too. (not sure) (still reading baby's AMOS) Just my best guesstimate. IDK. Maybe I tell P96/ÁLib to install to SYS: ? (I've been feeding it the name of the directory, like DF0: A4000 68060 P96ÁLib, for example.)

BTW, I think our truck driver could be a good Amiga president. They are usually pretty good people. (if he surrounds himself with appropriate staff) He's probably had an earful from enough parties by now to get a better 'grip' on the situation at hand.

I wish I could order the parts and build it myself. It seems like it's taking long time.

Old 23 November 2016, 10:12   #39
emufan

AOTL - just did a search in an acronym dictionary, just some urban slang, i would conclude.

even while ignoring some of you questions, funny they do reply, keeps us informed, if any intresting results .

*magical* fits even better, and yes, it should be interchangeable easily.
but it may happen, one of the installers used a non standard path-name, so SYS: wasn't used and instead
the name of a specific folder/device ( eg: Boot030: ) or something.
maybe you find such an assign in s:user-startup or s:startup-sequence - search for something DF0: alike
(given your example with DF0: was part error message).

i'm not sure about the truck driver. he had plenty of time, to move something [hehe, fits to his profession] -
and much didnt happen - just my point of view.
Old 24 November 2016, 04:11   #40
JZon

Lol!

Now that's funny! Yes, got to make that load from Texarkana for Little Enos! LOL

Turns out, it's Picasso 96 attaching itself to the directory. (MMuLib installing to SYS) (Might try changing this and seeing if it works)

Yes, start ups. I've managed to add things here. The one I'm using now is User StartUp. (Good luck so far) I just go to the top, press enter to move everything down, type the required start up sequence, exit and save. Not sure where it goes or if you're even supposed to press return at the end of the line. (did so anyway)

My list of apps/configs is growing. I came across one title looking for a key file. (Image Studio) Know of any thing like this in the zone or?? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageStudioKeyFile.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	51000

I found an older post on eab where maybe it was there before. (I'm good with 512 x 512. It's OK.)

AdSense AdSense