English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 January 2003, 18:21   #1
tomcat666
Retro Freak

C64 Standard Tape Interface

Hi Everyone !

I know this is not a C64 group, but a lot of you might still have the rusty old Amiga predecessor in the cupboard and might find this interesting...

I am releasing the schematics for an interface which enables ANY Tape Player to be connected to the C64 via its C2N interface and not just the hard-to-get C1531 Tape Recorder which was custom made for the Commodore Computers.

Also this interface enables you to directly connect the PC SoundCard output to the C64 and use some of the programs on the PC (DOS/Windows) to load the .TAP, .PRG, .T64, .P00, etc. to the C64 and turn the not-usefull PC into a huge tape file-server for the belowed C64

The interface uses only standard components (apart from the C2N connector) which can be easily bought today.

Ofcourse you build this at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible for any damage to any of your equipment. The interface works fine with all C64 I have tried so far so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Link to the homepage :

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/tomcat/C64Tape.html

If you want please post the link to this homepage on some news servers or your own homepages, since now there aren't any pages linking to it.

Have fun with it !
AdSense AdSense  
Old 31 January 2003, 01:31   #2
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Do people still use tapes on c64's?

I hated my tape player on my original c64 back in the 1980's and got a disk drive as soon as possible. I used disks until I sold the hardware in 1990 to get a 286 PC.

Now that I have a c64c+1541c and c128 +1571 I see no need for tape since all the tape images can be loaded onto a floppy disk from the archive files.
Old 31 January 2003, 07:15   #3
Akira

Woo! Very interesting!
Yep Unk, people still use tapes, specially those in the UK. Why? They were used to buy games on tape. Cheaper, and sometimes, they loaded faster than from disk! They also had the famous "loadscreens" and "loadtunes"... I'd say it's for pure nostalgia, I never liked tape devices and never had one on my Commodore.
Old 31 January 2003, 08:35   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yup, here in the States, tapes made a brief appearance, but never with the magnitude of the European scene. And since the best games are Euro (unless you are into boring PC-style games like flight sims, rpg's, strategy, etc.)... For clarification, no offense to those people that like those games. My personal preference has always been for day-glo bubble gum kids stuff like platformers, shooters, beat-em-ups, etc. as opposed to deep-thinking games. Euro software (and the Amiga, natch) was the way to get to this sort of gaming, so that's how come my prefs in gaming and computing have always been: Euro, Amiga, PAL, arcade. But cute as they look, I'm glad I missed out on the tape era. Always been a disk man.
Old 31 January 2003, 08:53   #5
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Well, the reason I like tape games is the loading music, pictures and some of them really had nice loaders. And also I didn't get a disk drive until the last year I used the C64 so the tapes are a part of the nostalgia for me. This interface lets you experience all that without having to endure loading errors, rewinding the tape, etc. I just like it that way.
Old 31 January 2003, 17:38   #6
Akira

Yep it's a great idea and something EVERYBODY that likes tapes was looking for, tomcat! Because with the Speccy loading games through the PC is as easy as with your interface! I think I will try it myself and all

I remember having on disk LOTS of euro games ripped from tape. That's how americans got them, right? But some times they were crippled and stuff (no loading pics/tunes, etc)
Old 31 January 2003, 22:08   #7
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Most commendable. I loved watching tapes load up on my CPC. The noise it made *sigh*.

Apart from "Read error B" messages mind
Old 31 January 2003, 22:12   #8
Akira

I just posted yer device at the Lemon forums. That should generate some traffic!!

Just noticed something... a C64 page hosted at World of Spectrum? SACRILEGE!

Old 31 January 2003, 22:17   #9
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Well, I had a speccy before C64 and I still love to use it. Ofcourse I use it mostly with my PC acting as a file server (TZX ofcourse) as I do with the C64 - altough I also have the C1541 emulator running on it, but it only runs in pure DOS and doesn't support all fast loaders.

I also posted on Lemon (General Discussion) - and was kinda surprised to not get ANY replies to it... altough some people saw the post ;-) Well, it just shows you that the amiga people are still the best out there ! Maybe there will be some replies and comments to your post...
Old 31 January 2003, 23:54   #10
Akira

The Lemon board quite sucks, only a couple of peeps there are good chaps. They lurk around the Scene forums. The rest is full of troddlers and whatnot.

It used to be a lot nicer!
Old 01 February 2003, 02:28   #11
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Yep, this is a very nice interface !! Congratulations ! It's another milestone in C64 tape gaming since .tap Images, I would say.
I wish I had something back then, because then I hadn't been in need of a C2N tapedeck.... Now I have tons of them and even don't know where to put them all

Also, Akira is right about Lemon64 Forum. It is simply too reapeating for people who have been there for a long time ! There almost no day goes by where no question like 'What is the best 10 game' and such is posted !! That's cool for people who have just re-discovered the C64, but boring for others.
I only occasionally check the boards over there, and almost only post in hardware-help threads.
Old 01 February 2003, 08:35   #12
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Everybody was a newbie at one point in their life. Most boards either cater to people new to the hardware (large boards) or just the expert users (very few people on those boards but they talk a hell of alot)
Old 01 February 2003, 13:38   #13
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Sure, you are right !
I don't mean the Lemon board is crap, but there is not so much news to me now as it was a few years ago !
But I think the Lemon board still is one of the best ( game wise for sure ! ) international C64 boards. Whenever I had a question about something I would post it there for sure, and maybe on some German boards which are also great !
AdSense AdSense