English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 November 2016, 09:59   #141
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Updated HOTA again, I can confirm it's playable start-to-end without freezes or crashes as I just did play through the whole game in a single playthrough on real hardware (occasional random freezes are still a risk, as they are with literally any CD32 software, and music will lag behind in the three major cutscenes).

https://mega.nz/#!hVJATTZB!8X-uvtD6S...XX_p_POzMVJsnU

Note that there are known issues with the included version of Another World, in particular it may freeze triggering the final cutscene. But also there's something else AW related in the works. So while this includes (likely) the final version of HOTA, AW fans might be in for a special treat soon.

(Also I suppose I could investigate Cobe's idea of slowing down the cutscene music tracks so they better align with the playback speed of the cutscenes..)

Edit: Almost forgot, big thanks to DJM for persevering through and fixing all of the CD32 specific issues.
Thanks so much for this - I'll check out later once I finish work.

Regarding Another World I'd love to see the enhanced visuals that were used exclusively on the Panasonic 3DO version (I know they aren't to everyone's taste)...

...Appreciated this is a completely different port again on another system so isn't going to happen! haha
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 November 2016, 17:10   #142
Akira

Quote:
(Also I suppose I could investigate Cobe's idea of slowing down the cutscene music tracks so they better align with the playback speed of the cutscenes..)
Use a proper time stretch tool to keep the pitch intact, like paulstretch.
Old 17 November 2016, 18:13   #143
ziovax

Great work!
Old 18 November 2016, 09:51   #144
Foxman

Quote:
Updated HOTA again, I can confirm it's playable start-to-end without freezes or crashes as I just did play through the whole game in a single playthrough on real hardware (occasional random freezes are still a risk, as they are with literally any CD32 software, and music will lag behind in the three major cutscenes).

https://mega.nz/#!hVJATTZB!8X-uvtD6S...XX_p_POzMVJsnU

Note that there are known issues with the included version of Another World, in particular it may freeze triggering the final cutscene. But also there's something else AW related in the works. So while this includes (likely) the final version of HOTA, AW fans might be in for a special treat soon.

Edit: Almost forgot, big thanks to DJM for persevering through and fixing all of the CD32 specific issues.
Ive tested it now.
I see the Intro and everything looks fine, but than it stops when i put in the 4 letters on the Screen.
Its no freeze, i can move to the letters and i can put "Ok" or "Del" but nothing happens than. What to do?
Old 18 November 2016, 09:54   #145
emufan

when you start it first time, just push "ok" without any letters.
later you use this, for the savepoints - the game will give you - so you dont have to start from the beginning.
Old 18 November 2016, 11:37   #146
Foxman

Ahh okay. Thx, thats something you must told an old man
Old 20 November 2016, 14:52   #147
DamienD
Global Moderator

Heya earok,

I just had a thought; OnEscapee can't be played via CD32.

I wonder if it's possible to somehow get this working on the above system?
Old 20 November 2016, 20:29   #148
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heya earok,

I just had a thought; OnEscapee can't be played via CD32.

I wonder if it's possible to somehow get this working on the above system?
I've considered doing a release for SX32 owners, though without an SX32 system myself I have no way of testing.

Someone might be able to scrape it into 2mb of memory somehow, especially if they have access to the source etc.
Old 24 November 2016, 17:27   #149
s2325
Zone Friend

longplay of Amiga Heart of the Alien with all death scenes:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 November 2016, 05:40   #150
pgovotsos

Quote:
- Akiko optimisation is the big thing. The game uses C2P for rendering so we've been testing builds using the Akiko for that, and we've seen a big FPS increase. Currently with the test build, cutscenes can still drop down to 50% framerate but ingame framerate is either at or close to 100%.

(Note that this optimisation is only for CD32 of course, and won't benefit regular Amigas. Even SX32 type addons tend to break Akiko support)
I've never heard of the SX32 breaks Akiko support. Is that true across the board or just some quirk of this game? Does it matter which model of SX32 you have - SX32 with RAM & hard drive or SX32 Pro with 68030,RAM & hard drive?

When you say "Even SX32 type addons tend to break Akiko support" what does break mean? The game won't play at all or it'll play but with software c2p instead of Akiko c2p? If the latter, wouldn't it run faster / smoother with an 030 and RAM doing software c2p?

Somewhere I remember reading that at some point (faster CPU more RAM) the software c2p starts to outperform stock CD32 using Akiko for hardware c2p.
Old 25 November 2016, 05:54   #151
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
I've never heard of the SX32 breaks Akiko support. Is that true across the board or just some quirk of this game? Does it matter which model of SX32 you have - SX32 with RAM & hard drive or SX32 Pro with 68030,RAM & hard drive?

When you say "Even SX32 type addons tend to break Akiko support" what does break mean? The game won't play at all or it'll play but with software c2p instead of Akiko c2p? If the latter, wouldn't it run faster / smoother with an 030 and RAM doing software c2p?

Somewhere I remember reading that at some point (faster CPU more RAM) the software c2p starts to outperform stock CD32 using Akiko for hardware c2p.
From the best of my knowledge - I don't have a CD32 myself but I do collaborate with someone who does - the Akiko chip doesn't function when an SX32 is installed (I've given him an ISO with Doom using an Akiko C2P routine, it wouldn't work at all). I have no idea about different types of SX32.

HOTA as is may work, it may not. Actually it probably would work since I believe it uses the "WriteChunkyPixels" function in graphics.library, which only uses the Akiko chip when present. So as you say, an 030 and fast ram would probably outperform it. BlazeWCP would (I think) help too.
Old 25 November 2016, 15:52   #152
spudje

I can try with a SX32 MK1 running from CF (and maybe CD, but I'm reluctant burning one if we can expect future updates). How do I know it uses or doesn't use Akiko?
Old 25 November 2016, 16:31   #153
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I can try with a SX32 MK1 running from CF (and maybe CD, but I'm reluctant burning one if we can expect future updates). How do I know it uses or doesn't use Akiko?
The SX32 you have is just memory and IDE right? Since it doesn't have a processor upgrade you can probably tell the difference visually. Without the SX32 installed the graphics should be clearer and probably faster. Removing the memory from the SX32 might make a difference also by forcing it to use just the slower chip memory.
Old 25 November 2016, 17:15   #154
spudje

Yes, only RAM and IDE. OK, I hope to have some time this weekend. I even have 2 CD32s (for now, will sell one later), so I don't need to fiddle too much with the errorprone SX32 connector.
Old 26 November 2016, 00:32   #155
earok

I had someone asking me about this - is there a preinstalled HD package of HOTA available, with the Sega CD data files and the music already adapted to RAW?

Edit: Oh, just to be clear, there IS going to be at least one more CD32 build. Cobe has been doing a good job of changing the timing of the cutscene audio so it doesn't fall behind the visuals. Plus maybe there'll be the "secret" update to Another World, maybe not, we'll see.

Edit 2: Of course Cobe's update is only for stock CD32's anyway, to compensate for how slowly the cutscenes render on 68020/akiko/no fastram

Last edited by earok; 26 November 2016 at 00:39.
Old 26 November 2016, 01:14   #156
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
I had someone asking me about this - is there a preinstalled HD package of HOTA available, with the Sega CD data files and the music already adapted to RAW?
Yes; Retroplay kindly set all this up

lha for Amiga : http://tinyurl.com/jpb6yk9
hdf for UAE : http://tinyurl.com/z4k9thq
Old 26 November 2016, 04:10   #157
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Yes, only RAM and IDE. OK, I hope to have some time this weekend. I even have 2 CD32s (for now, will sell one later), so I don't need to fiddle too much with the errorprone SX32 connector.
Cool, thanks for testing for us!
Old 26 November 2016, 14:26   #158
wmsteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yes; Retroplay kindly set all this up

lha for Amiga : http://tinyurl.com/jpb6yk9
hdf for UAE : http://tinyurl.com/z4k9thq

Thank you Retroplay
Old 26 November 2016, 14:39   #159
earok

Cheers Retroplay, and thanks DamienD for the reminder
Old 26 November 2016, 15:19   #160
s2325
Zone Friend

After watching longplay my ratings are higher than before. I can stand few silly moments which should be more serious.
AdSense AdSense