English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2016, 19:47   #1
Yulquen74

Adding an old IDE disk to WinUAE 3.3.0

I have tried to add an old (but still working) FFS IDE disk (WDAC31000-00H, 1GB) to WinUAE (run as admin) by first connecting it to my PC via an "R-DriverII USB to IDE" cable, and using the "Add hard-drive" button in hard-drive settings.

The drive appears in the drop-down window but reported as an [OS] disk.
If selected, the read/write checkbox remains ghosted, and if added, theres an "E" prefix in the hard disk list, and when starting the emulator it is not visible on the Amiga side.

Out of curiosity, I tried the same approach with an IDE->card adapter, connected to the same IDE->USB cable (the 44-pin side), and this one was recognized as [RDB] disk, and I was also able to boot it.

I also tried the -disableharddrivesafetycheck without any change.

Is there a solution to this, or will some disks simply not work this way?

Thanks for any help.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 October 2016, 19:55   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is very common problem. Most (all?) USB IDE adapters don't work with old drives. (Pre-ultra dma or something like that)

Check Windows Disk Manager: it probably reports the drive as zero size or name string is corrupted etc..
Old 27 October 2016, 22:04   #3
Yulquen74

Actually the drive size reports correctly in disk manager, it says its uninitialized and of unknown type. I also tried another brand of ide->usb, but with this one it did not even
show up in winuae, but ok in disk manager.

Well, I will just have to find another way to copy the content of this drive to somewhere
safe. Unfortunately it refuses to work together with newer ide devices in an A1200,
so I will probably have to do a floppy install of tcpip stack and pcmcia network driver onto it to be able to transfer stuff off it.
Old 27 October 2016, 22:21   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae's log will show the error. Less common side-effect is that drive detects normally but any read or write access fails.

Those old drives (usually) work fine when using older PC with real physical IDE connector.
Old 27 October 2016, 23:37   #5
-Acid-

Buy an ide to sata adapter off ebay from a Chinese seller such as one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262444536836

I use one daily with old IDE drives. I also bought some NOS IDE removable HD caddy's to make changing them over quick (one for my pc and four for my Amiga towers), i'd highly recommend them.
Old 28 October 2016, 19:21   #6
Yulquen74

Good tip, I will definitely try one of those cheap adapters!
AdSense AdSense