English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 October 2016, 19:59   #1
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

jxd s7800b

Hey all, Just got hold of a brand new JXD S7800B (Should be here tomorrow).

Currently preparing rom sets from multiple systems to load on to it.

Just looking for any tips/tricks regarding the device, any opinions on my purchase, good/bad etc.

Figured I'd ask here as I'm pretty sure there will be people here that own/have owned one.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 October 2016, 22:48   #2
LuMan
Amigan - an loving it!!

Hi Dave. I got one a few years back and it's by far and away my most used console. You may want to replace the stock OS with a custom one. I went for the cyanogen one as it's a lot smaller and has been rock solid.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-dev...genmod-11-rom/

The thread is a few years old, but it has a lot of info and links to the latest version.

I destroyed the original battery, but got a replacement off eBay and it works great, so no worries on that front (although it will be a good couple of years before you'll need to replace the battery, if at all).

I'm now gearing up for one of these:
http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/jxd-n...-gaming-tablet

They're not cheap, but I'm hooked!!

BTW - I'm currently running UAE4all on my S7800 and its splendid.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 25 October 2016, 23:13   #3
knightbeat

I recommend you check out the partition allocation before copying anything over. The JXD comes with 16GB internal storage, but it's split into two partitions. The primary partition (on which you'll be installing apps) was just 1GB in size in early versions, which meant that you couldn't install large games without a lot of messing about. Fortunately, the latest firmware increases the limit to 3GB for the primary partition. Hopefully you'll have the latest Firmware but, if not, it's best to install this before you start installing applications.

I have to admit I returned my JXD to Funstock after 6 months. I didn't use it for 2 months and found the internal battery wouldn't hold a charge.
Old 26 October 2016, 13:30   #4
DaveMB

Thanks for the help

@LuMan thanks for the link
@knightbeat my primary partition is 3GB

Currently charging it up then its playtime.

Edit: are the usb-> 5vdc pin charger cables hot pluggable on this device as I would like to use my PC for charging (don't trust the supplied charger).
Old 26 October 2016, 16:10   #5
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

I was happy with my 7800b for a while when I bought it a few years ago. That was until about 18months later when the battery wasn't holding it's charge anymore to the point where I could only get 10mins use out of it after charging it, it was then only useful when plugged into mains power.

But the final nail in the coffin was when I hadn't used it for a while and had it packed away for a week or so, I got it out one day only to find the battery had massively bloated up causing the casing to split apart and the entire tablet was mangled and twisted, screen was also damaged, it was a wreck and battery looked like it was ready to explode.

I was not impressed at all, won't be buying a jxd again. There good when there new and working ok, but dont expect the batteries to last and replace them as soon as there is any hint of issues.
Old 26 October 2016, 16:32   #6
DaveMB

@hansel75 wow Mind you, as soon as the battery fails to hold a charge I would replace it anyway. I've seen a friends 18650 in his ecig vent, and as a vaper (with an ecig that uses an 18650 battery) and somebody who very nearly bought a Galaxy note 7.......Batteries scare the shit out of me.
Old 27 October 2016, 21:09   #7
LuMan
Amigan - an loving it!!

I stumbled across a number of forums discussing the battery issues, but I thought it was the minority. My battery didn't bloat, but it did refuse to hold charge. But, since replacing the battery, it's working fine. I even found a larger capacity battery that fits, so got an extra 400mAh on-board.

WRT charging, my S7800b doesn't charge through the usb. Not sure if this has been addressed with later models, but there are also tutorials online showing how to adapt an old USB lead to provide charging from a USB port on a PC. Although you still need to use the jack port for charging. Plus, your average PC - particularly laptop - only shunts out about half the power of the supplied charger, so expect lo-o-o-ong charge times when using a PC USB for charging.
Old 27 October 2016, 21:20   #8
DaveMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
I stumbled across a number of forums discussing the battery issues, but I thought it was the minority. My battery didn't bloat, but it did refuse to hold charge. But, since replacing the battery, it's working fine. I even found a larger capacity battery that fits, so got an extra 400mAh on-board.

WRT charging, my S7800b doesn't charge through the usb. Not sure if this has been addressed with later models, but there are also tutorials online showing how to adapt an old USB lead to provide charging from a USB port on a PC. Although you still need to use the jack port for charging. Plus, your average PC - particularly laptop - only shunts out about half the power of the supplied charger, so expect lo-o-o-ong charge times when using a PC USB for charging.
I have a perma live 2a USB socket on the back of one of my speakers that I use for charging everything, Ideally I'd like to use that for charging the JXD also, My JXD actually came with a USB>DC adapter which works fine but I'm not sure if it is safe to hot plug the cable into the JXD or not.
Old 27 October 2016, 22:24   #9
LuMan
Amigan - an loving it!!

Well, I plug mine in all the time. I haven't powered the thing down for about 3 months. Generally, power sockets are buffered to prevent power spikes, so you'll be fine plugging it in while it's running.

A 2A socket would be fine. USB-3 kicks out 900mA IIRC, so you'll have no issues charging with a 2A supply.
Old 27 October 2016, 23:22   #10
DaveMB

Thanks
AdSense AdSense