English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 13 October 2016, 16:36   #1
Signman
Registered User

Signman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 52
Amiga 500 Vampire

After all the reading and waiting I still have a question on this.

I can't seem to find all specs on this only features. I have heard the SD card is for storage only on the 600 version, how will that work for the 500?

No, IDE in the 500 so what are we booting from? Does this version add that?
Signman is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 October 2016, 16:51   #2
Superman
Registered User

Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wakefield
Age: 41
Posts: 546
If you read the PDF here it does state IDE for the A500 version.

http://apollo-accelerators.com/files..._datasheet.pdf
Superman is offline  
Old 13 October 2016, 18:15   #3
Signman
Registered User

Signman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 52
Thanks, seems to be the only change from the 600 version.
Signman is offline  
Old 14 October 2016, 01:12   #4
cmsj
Registered User

cmsj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London / UK
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Thanks, seems to be the only change from the 600 version.
The PDF is probably a little out of date - the v500 that's going to go into production has an extra 8pin SPI header for future expansion.

What that means is that if someone bothers to write a driver, you'll be able to add a $5 ESP8266 wifi card to the v500 and have cheap, better-than-plipbox internet access. But, like I said, it'll need someone to write a driver.
cmsj is offline  
Old 15 October 2016, 23:09   #5
towmater
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Los Angeles/USA
Posts: 6
pfffbttt... $510 for the A500 Vampire? I'm out.
towmater is offline  
Old 15 October 2016, 23:37   #6
Spacemonkey
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rochdale
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by towmater View Post
pfffbttt... $510 for the A500 Vampire? I'm out.
$510 ???? Last i heard it was the 250 euro + shipping

http://www.kipper2k.com/updates.html
Spacemonkey is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 00:13   #7
Superman
Registered User

Superman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wakefield
Age: 41
Posts: 546
I think he is referring to this link which is where the order button leads to.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/majsta/m.htm...p2047675.l2562
Superman is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 00:46   #8
Marlon_
Apollo Supporter

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Posts: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Marlon_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I think he is referring to this link which is where the order button leads to.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/majsta/m.htm...p2047675.l2562
that's just for people that can't wait for the real production to start.
Marlon_ is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 00:59   #9
Exit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland/The netherlands
Age: 42
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
that's just for people that can't wait for the real production to start.
They put it up on ebay to get more funding, they know some people just cant wait and want one, so the money goes back into vampire project.
Exit is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 01:00   #10
Marlon_
Apollo Supporter

 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sundsvall, Sweden
Posts: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Marlon_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
They put it up on ebay to get more funding, they know some people just cant wait and want one, so the money goes back into vampire project.
Yeah, I know.
Marlon_ is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 01:45   #11
pandy71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NL/PL
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
$510 ???? Last i heard it was the 250 euro + shipping

http://www.kipper2k.com/updates.html
lol - this how Majsta dream ends... from 75 to 250... milking cows begins...
pandy71 is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 02:52   #12
Ratteler
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bronx
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
The PDF is probably a little out of date - the v500 that's going to go into production has an extra 8pin SPI header for future expansion.
Any chance we could get a Poseidon compatible USB that could host a hub and wifi card on that. I think USB might be more useful than just Wifi on it's own.
Ratteler is offline  
Old 16 October 2016, 03:56   #13
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 42
Posts: 641
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Write the driver for AROS and Poseidon becomes available.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 18:42   #14
Hauke
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
lol - this how Majsta dream ends... from 75 to 250... milking cows begins...
That is not fair. I think they are doing their best.
And if it means faster production, I am all for it.
Hauke is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 18:57   #15
Steril707
OCS rocks!

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
lol - this how Majsta dream ends... from 75 to 250... milking cows begins...
They will all be millionaires in the end, I am sure...

For serious, I think this just covers the cost for professional manufacturing and a little bit plus.
Steril707 is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 19:22   #16
pandy71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NL/PL
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
That is not fair. I think they are doing their best.
And if it means faster production, I am all for it.
Life is not fair yet most of us will kill someone else to survive...

Yes, it means faster production but i seriously doubt on assembly cost (increasing price twice) - and to be honest even few weeks ago Majsta placed movie on yt on this topic (black mailing, extorting) so i'm quite surprised - as i said at the beginning - for Vampire price should fit (IMHO) bellow 150E, more than this significantly reduce affordability - for me Amiga is hobby and for 250E i would rather go for fast Intel CPU and will perform computations on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
They will all be millionaires in the end, I am sure...

For serious, I think this just covers the cost for professional manufacturing and a little bit plus.
No need to be sarcastic - i doubt that they will be millionaires - Jens (assumption, no offense) is not a millionaire after so many years... but i wish all of you guys everything best - truly.
Professional assembly is cheaper (but true - it depends on scale) and it not increase price twice (more complex products [equipped with 2.5 inch HDD, multi GB, multi CPU/SoC] ,made in relatively small series (bellow 20000 pcs) and they cost similar to Vampire).

Last edited by pandy71; 31 October 2016 at 19:34.
pandy71 is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 19:40   #17
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Samurai_Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Collins, CO USA
Age: 42
Posts: 641
Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Until the gold core came out it was essentially an open beta.
Samurai_Crow is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 19:42   #18
Hauke
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Life is not fair yet most of us will kill someone else to survive...
Woooooowww.... hold your horses...

I think Majsta has been killing himself to make your dreams come true... So, even if he profits... which I doubt, very much... that is ok... Why should he work for free?

Isn't it great, that somebody is even doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Yes, it means faster production but i seriously doubt on assembly cost (increasing price twice) - and to be honest even few weeks ago Majsta placed movie on yt on this topic (black mailing, extorting) so i'm quite surprised - as i said at the beginning - for Vampire price should fit (IMHO) bellow 150E, more than this significantly reduce affordability - for me Amiga is hobby and for 250E i would rather go for fast Intel CPU and will perform computations on PC.
You are so right! It is a hobby and the people developing the Vampire are amateurs when it comes to producing hardware.

I think it is still great value for money. Compare it to other offerings, and you have to agree...
Hauke is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 19:49   #19
Ratteler
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bronx
Posts: 132
He's selling hand made prototypes on E-bay. I don't think anyone believes this is the final cost. You want the custom hand made versions that badly, you pay "Boutique" prices.
Ratteler is offline  
Old 31 October 2016, 20:24   #20
pandy71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NL/PL
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
Woooooowww.... hold your horses...
Sad but true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
I think Majsta has been killing himself to make your dreams come true... So, even if he profits... which I doubt, very much... that is ok... Why should he work for free?
Don't get me wrong - if you search this forum on this topic i was one of people saying that original price (AFAIR 75E) is perfect but counting all this (hobby, small scale and profit They deserve etc) it can be 150E (so effciently i expected increase of price and considered this as fair step).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
Isn't it great, that somebody is even doing this?
Yes it is great - you will not find anything from me that may lead to conclusion that it is not great (and using FPGA as modern 68k replacement was supported by me earlier than Vampire was born so i was happy when Majsta proved that for us this is best approach - alternatively i also considered hybrid solution - small FPGA for timing, glue + general CPU like ARM for more complex CPU functionality emulation - dynamic code translation etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
You are so right! It is a hobby and the people developing the Vampire are amateurs when it comes to producing hardware.
Nice but as a hobbyist i can assembly such board by myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauke View Post
I think it is still great value for money. Compare it to other offerings, and you have to agree...
If you comparing this to used (and new but classic) accelerators for Amiga then yes, definitely it is very cheap and best value for money.

If you compare this to modern PC market then... you know answer...
pandy71 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amiga 500 Vampire is alive kipper2k support.Hardware 334 Yesterday 23:00
Amiga 1200 Vampire Cards PaulG Amiga scene 26 12 October 2016 16:11
Vampire 500 project started majsta Hardware mods 221 17 August 2016 19:42
Amiga 1000, bitten by a Vampire !! FREEMILK Amiga scene 20 09 July 2016 12:18
Final Fight on AMIGA 500+ (500 Plus), not 500! padremayi support.Games 55 09 March 2016 21:39

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.20647 seconds with 11 queries