English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10 October 2016, 02:39   #1
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 624
Aminet: Virus warning

Some older software has been uploaded to Aminet for preservation purposes recently, and in the last two days three infected uploads slipped through the virus checking system we have in place. We are very sorry for the inconvience and any problems this might have created on your end.

The files in quesion are:
  • game/actio/MotherLode.adz
  • disk/bakup/PDCopy30.lha
  • util/pack/BytekillerPro10.lha
If you downloaded these files, delete them immediately.
Korodny is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 October 2016, 13:20   #2
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,485
Can you tell how/why virus checking failed? Maybe I need to verify my virus checking too.
daxb is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 13:30   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 38
Posts: 4,158
Could you please tell us which virus were they infected with? Thank you for your warning.
Predseda is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 13:51   #4
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 1,137
While I appreciate the effort to preserve old software in this manner, perhaps it should only be done if genuine, original copies of the software are obtained either from the original publishers or from a reliable source. Maybe this is actually the case and I'm misinterpreting it, but to me it seems likely someone uploaded some warez versions of software, which was often a source of viral infections back in the day. Aminet probably isn't the place for "backup" copies of old software someone found on 30 year old handwritten floppies in their attic - the TOSEC project already provides that function.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 15:55   #5
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Can you tell how/why virus checking failed? Maybe I need to verify my virus checking too.
Virus checking can't be automated on the server yet (vamos might get there one day, can't wait for that to happen...), so I mirror the incoming directory on my box and run a virus checker in FS-UAE. That process needs to be started manually, and the results of the check are not send back to the server.

In other words: it's error-prone, and I fucked up.
Korodny is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 15:58   #6
Korodny
Zone Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Could you please tell us which virus were they infected with? Thank you for your warning.
There were two different viruses. One was the HappyNewYear link virus, I forgot what the other one was. Good point though, if this ever happens again I'll include this information in the warning.

Last edited by Korodny; 10 October 2016 at 16:28.
Korodny is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 16:20   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant
Predseda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Townsville
Age: 38
Posts: 4,158
HNY96 is one of the most annoying viruses, but fortunately relativelly harmless.
Predseda is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 19:07   #8
onkelarie
Registered User

onkelarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Spijkenisse / the Netherlands
Age: 46
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
Virus checking can't be automated on the server yet (vamos might get there one day, can't wait for that to happen...), so I mirror the incoming directory on my box and run a virus checker in FS-UAE. That process needs to be started manually, and the results of the check are not send back to the server.

In other words: it's error-prone, and I fucked up.
and it's completely forgiven from this corner of the internet good sir
onkelarie is offline  
Old 10 October 2016, 19:22   #9
Sinphaltimus
Registered User

Sinphaltimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cresco, PA, USA
Age: 46
Posts: 147
[QUOTE=Korodny;1115616]
In other words: it's error-prone, and I fucked up.[/]

^^^This^^^

Honesty and integrity. Awesome. Thank you. Speaks volumes. Much much appreciated.
Sinphaltimus is online now  
Old 10 October 2016, 20:51   #10
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 1,137
Indeed, massive respect for doing what is a very important but probably underappreciated and taken for granted job.
Daedalus is offline  
Old 14 October 2016, 18:41   #11
Crashdisk
Moderator

Crashdisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
Age: 39
Posts: 1,168
Some details on the files :

BytekillerPro10.lha/BytekillerProIntro infected with Happy New Year 96
MotherLode.adz/c/OldSk00l Crackers infected with Happy New Year 96
PDCopy30.lha/PDCopy30 infected with Happy New Year 96
Crashdisk is offline  
Old 14 October 2016, 22:27   #12
volvo_0ne
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Sheffield UK
Posts: 188
http://aminet.net/package/util/virus/killhappy

This is very good if you are unlucky enough to be infected with HNY96
volvo_0ne is offline  
Old 14 October 2016, 22:32   #13
Crashdisk
Moderator

Crashdisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
Age: 39
Posts: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
http://aminet.net/package/util/virus/killhappy

This is very good if you are unlucky enough to be infected with HNY96
I prefer VirusZ III
http://aminet.net/package/util/virus/VirusZ
Crashdisk is offline  
Old 15 October 2016, 14:19   #14
Legionary
OldSk00l Crackers
Legionary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Skövde / Sweden
Age: 45
Posts: 29
Virus in some demos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
Some older software has been uploaded to Aminet for preservation purposes recently, and in the last two days three infected uploads slipped through the virus checking system we have in place. We are very sorry for the inconvience and any problems this might have created on your end.

The files in quesion are:
  • game/actio/MotherLode.adz
  • disk/bakup/PDCopy30.lha
  • util/pack/BytekillerPro10.lha
If you downloaded these files, delete them immediately.
Personally after HNY'96 virus chock, i personally downloaded VirusZ and started to go through my downloaded demos from tosec/amigsnce and various sources. After a few hundred disks, i'v already found 2 Saddam and some systemZ, wich the checker couldn't determ if it was a virus or brainfile.
Legionary is offline  
Old 15 October 2016, 14:35   #15
Crashdisk
Moderator

Crashdisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
Age: 39
Posts: 1,168
Note that the SystemZ is not a virus but may pose some risks because they can crush a suspicious bootblock without warning users
Crashdisk is offline  
Old 17 October 2016, 10:48   #16
Legionary
OldSk00l Crackers
Legionary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Skövde / Sweden
Age: 45
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
Note that the SystemZ is not a virus but may pose some risks because they can crush a suspicious bootblock without warning users
ok. Thanx Crashdisk. I've Always thought that system z x.x was a bootblock virus.
Legionary is offline  
Old 17 October 2016, 16:18   #17
trixster
Guru Meditating
trixster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: York
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
http://aminet.net/package/util/virus/killhappy

This is very good if you are unlucky enough to be infected with HNY96
I'll second that, it's very good and got me out of a fix last year in conjunction with VirusZ.
trixster is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Product Warning! Mounty MarketPlace 7 14 May 2015 22:02
Brain Killer Aminet links changed (and a question about Aminet links) Korodny HOL data problems 0 26 November 2009 22:21
WARNING: Spoiler thread Dastardly Retrogaming General Discussion 19 08 September 2007 21:30
Warning Fungus/LSD virus z00mba Amiga scene 2 16 June 2006 12:58
Aminet VIRUS ALERT Paul Amiga scene 9 16 December 2001 05:23

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.19711 seconds with 11 queries