English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 October 2016, 12:27   #41
Locutus

By the sound of what a pain in the bum this is Shapeshifter sounds much handier to me.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 23 October 2016, 15:13   #42
AnnaWu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
By the sound of what a pain in the bum this is Shapeshifter sounds much handier to me.
Yes and ShapeShifter is free.
Old 23 October 2016, 19:24   #43
AMIGASYSTEM

ShapeShifter also supports 060/JIT
Old 24 October 2016, 04:47   #44
ruthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Sounds like your Mac system software was not installed using FUSION.
Its not that case, i never used Shapeshifter and i have installed whole OS by myself today, i have tried Mac 7.5.3 and 8.1 both on Quadra 950, P96 video a default sound card setting, in Amiga im using AHI.

Simcity or Warcraft II problems in the past, could be caused by Shapeshifter or different rom usage, but not my problems with .hqx and sit files from internet.

I when im trying to use them, i got install dialog below, i select volume and click install and freeze..

This is my first experience with old mac, so i really dont know how to use this hqx and sit files, but if im doing something wrong, i would expect something else that whole system freeze.

Update:
I discovered that i probably need install Stuffit, problem is that install files are avalaible in *.dsk for PC Mac emulators, format not in *.adf format for amiga.
I have tried to install binhex which from internet which is already in *.bin format but it crashed, in with same dialog as above.

Update 2:
StuffIT installed now its working, i have problem only open *.img files because it needed StuffIt deluxe licence or working version of Diskcopy, which im not able to find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-10-24 04.27.12.png
Views:	88
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	50592  

Last edited by ruthan; 25 October 2016 at 05:19.
Old 25 October 2016, 17:55   #45
JimDrew

FUSION works with a real 020 through 060. There are no problems there. However, a real 060 with the Mac OS is only marginally faster than a 25MHz 040 (and slower than a 33MHz 040) because there was never an 060 Mac (or accelerator) ever made so that Apple could fix their OS to be 060 compatible. I had to patch the crap out of the Mac OS to handle the 060's various issues with the Mac OS. 040/JIT is faster than 060/JIT. So if you are using WinUAE, I would recommend setting the CPU to 040.

Keep in mind that if you change ROMs with FUSION (or Shapeshifter/real Mac) you must re-install the Mac system software. I guess people don't understand that FUSION is just like a real Mac. Unless you are installing from Mac OS install CD specifically labeled as "universal installer", you would be using one for a particular Mac model. Unlike the Amiga, where the Amiga OS works on all models that is not how the Mac worked. To minimize disk space, Apple only puts the resources tied to the machine it is designed for on the disk. This is why if you install on a Syquest cartridge for a Centris 650 you can't pop that cartridge into a Mac IIx or Quadra 950 - unless that cartridge was deliberately installed using a universal installer - which did not become available until OS 7.5.5. However, Apple did make OS7.5.5 and OS8.1 system specific CDs. You need to make sure the CD is labeled as universal installer, or get a CD that is intended for your exact ROM image. Again, this is NOT a FUSION issue - this is the same for a real Mac as well as Shapeshifter.

StuffIt Expander is included with OS8.1. You can just drag and drop the .sit/.hqx/.sea files on the icon.

There are plenty of videos of FUSION playing Warcraft, Warcraft II, Simcity, etc. - recently too, using the Vampire board. In fact, I demo'd these games on my Vampire 500 at CommVEx in July.

Last edited by JimDrew; 25 October 2016 at 18:06.
Old 27 October 2016, 00:07   #46
ruthan

Im now using fusion for few days, experience is good, after figure out how StufIt and Diskcopy working, but could be much better:
1) maximum size of HDD files - 999 MB is annoying, lots of games is in cd format they are big and swap cd image between Amiga and Mac is annoying. I know that there is AmigaFS file limit is 2 GB or 4GB, but even 2GB image size would be better.. and possiblity have multiple files HDD images as in case of Vmware would be the king way.

- possiblity to directly mount toast image in Fusion, form Amiga HDD, which could be Windows shared folder with unlimited size would be great, WinUAE cd mounting is reallly buggy
2) Support of mac floppy images from Amiga filesystem directly in emulator.

3) Stuffit Excation speed, is really slow for few mb extraction (Heroes II took 15 minutes for 25 MB archive), i wonder Shapeshifter with Jit is significantly faster?

4) I have to use lots of small HDD files and its required filename MSHardfileX, its not really helping in orientation which file is which.

5) Double mouse cursor if im switch between Amiga and MacOS

Every few hours i have some crash - whole WinUAE, especially when machine get idle, but its ok, its emulator or during file manipulation in Finder.

6) Every boot i got message but intialization of CD image, even when i have only device but any cd is not inserted in WinUAE drive.

--------

A)where is Stuffit in case of 8.1 located? I managed it working by transfer it from preinstalated image, but not from install.

B) How big is maximal save Fusion Mac Ram settings - its 128 or 256 MB is still ok? I read that Quadra 950 supported also quite big chunk of memory.

Games -
Warcraft 1 was always working,
Simcity - Simcity 1, was ok,
Simcity - 2000 was problematic, i will retest it.
Warcraft 2 - is beast - because of HDD size limitation i have to use smaller version, no my cd version, maybe badly cracked, striped 1.22 a i heard that is game was problematic even on real mac.
Even in some youtube video - author saying is not working for him too, i have tried to upgraded it to 1.4, but is not working, maybe because of crack.

Last edited by ruthan; 01 November 2016 at 02:10.
Old 27 October 2016, 20:31   #47
JimDrew

1) The size limit is due to the Mac OS. You should never be using an Amiga CD ROM driver for mounting with FUSION. Please follow the instructions for CD-ROMs found in FUSION's documentation.
2) You can use Toast with a SCSI device, just like a real Mac. You can't read/write Mac disks with Amiga drives. You can use AMIA with a real Mac drive with the Amiga.
3) FUSION is the fastest Mac emulation you can get for the Amiga - period. Sounds like you are trying to decompress from a CD image or something.
4) Typically you only use a main partition and a few others for games and such. It's never been an issue in the past.
5) This must be a WinUAE issue. This does not occur on a real Amiga with P96. FUSION can run for months (and has in the case of libraries, and bulletin board systems). This must be something to do with running on an emulator?
6) Sounds like you are not using the CD-ROM setup correctly. You should be using a SCSI device driver on the Mac side with the CD setup as a SCSI device - or using an Amiga device driver for the CD setup in the Peripherals menu. You can't use AsimCDFS for FUSION.
A) If you are using the universal install CD for OS8.1, it's on the desktop once you have done a complete install (all tools).
B) The limit should be 256MB as that is all a real Mac can address.

There are videos of Warcraft II playing on a Vampire setup. It works on my WinUAE setup as well.
Old 04 November 2016, 04:28   #48
ruthan

Jim thanks for reply, i was exploring other emulators for Apple II and PowerMac, my reactions are bellow.

1) Size Limit - its strange i used with Sheepshaver much bigger drives (30GB) and it supporting even 8.1, same as im using in Fusion.
Update: I tested Basilinsk II - 10 GB volume on Windows is ok.
I already read Fusion documentation, but in from age than WinUAE doesnt even exists, so for my case is dead horse. I dont see any information value, in informantion like is usually *scsi.* unit X.

2) I dont have real Mac drive, i would be really nice if fusion could as other emulator just mount directly toast or iso from Amiga filesystem.

3) No i was file on Mac HDD, try it yourself:
http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/mac...s_of_MM_II.sit
I tested in Sheepshaver i was also a bit slower that other files, but i would say 10x,20x faster than in Fusion.

4) Its hard to believe i had similar issues on other platform from this age, when HDDs were small as hell and games were big. I was uninstalling, installing madness, or we have to use stripped and cracked versions of games without music and movies. Im glad that with todays big drivers and emulators this is solved, at least in most cases.

6) Because i havent better solution, i used combination of AmiCDFS, WinUAE cd mount and in Fusion - i added CD0 in Device list and in Peripherals - i have CD-ROM - uaescsi.device unit 0 - maybe some settings is unless, or wrong, but without better guide for WinUAE +Fusion, it was good enough for MacOS installation, now i dont care, im using toast images and isos within MacOS, only hassle is HDD size limit, 1 HDD file to 1 or 2 cd images.

A) I think that i used complete install, at least in case of Mac OS 9.0.4 StuffIt was in very strange path, something like that:
/Internet/Internet Utilities/Alladin Folder/Stuff It Expander 5.1.4/Stuff It Expander
B)Ok.

Could someone compare Basilisk and Fusion pleas? In theory it could be smoother that emulate MacOS through AmigaOS.

Update:
I didnt test too much games, but after initial install and setup hassle, is Basilisk II, in order of magnitude faster in archive extracting and
possibility to share PC driver into Mac is also great, with bigger HDD files is great, iso image from Windows working, if games compatibility would be good,
is dont havemore reasons to use Fusion as something other that technological marvel.
Other improvement is in nothing settings, is possible to set 4,16,256 etc colors, i dont know why but in fusio i have only 256 colors and
nothing and same games need less.

- And one more thing, that version of Wacraft II which wasnt working in Fusion is working fine in Basilisk, so its Fusion or WinUAE bug.

Last edited by ruthan; 04 November 2016 at 18:23.
Old 05 November 2016, 07:03   #49
JimDrew

Basilisk is a Mac emulator for the PC. FUSION is a Mac emulator for the Amiga. It's should come as no surprise that a PC running a Mac emulator would be faster than a PC running an Amiga emulator running a Mac emulator. FUSION-PC is the fastest PC based Mac emulator. I run it under VirtualBox and it stomps FUSION w/WinUAE on the same PC.

Under FUSION you can use a CD-ROM drive, you just select the Amiga side SCSI device driver and need to use a Mac side extension to mount a SCSI device. You can NOT have the CD-ROM mounted on the Amiga side at the same time. You can also use the CD-ROM setup (under PERIPHERALS) and use a non-SCSI CD-ROM drive (or virtual CD-ROM drive).

You have to realize that I wrote FUSION 20 years ago. We didn't have big hard drives and such available. I did recently write a new iso.device driver that lets you mount an ISO CD-ROM image and access it through the CD-ROM setup menu (not as a SCSI device).

You can watch demos on YouTube of FUSION running Warcraft II on real Amiga hardware (with a Vampire board too).

Last edited by JimDrew; 05 November 2016 at 07:27.
Old 05 November 2016, 18:45   #50
zipper

Jim, Basilisk II is an Open Source 68k Macintosh emulator by Christian Bauer, but left in beta stage. Much ToDo that not done but quite nippy when working.
Old 06 November 2016, 04:18   #51
JimDrew

I have never seen Basilisk for the Amiga, only for the PC. I would put FUSION (and FUSION-PC) against any Mac emulator on their respective platforms, they are the fastest and more compatible than any single Mac due to being able to be different Mac machines.
Old 07 November 2016, 10:37   #52
Tomislav

http://aminet.net/search?query=basilisk
AdSense AdSense