English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 October 2016, 16:10   #161
dirkies
Zone Friend

and my and some others wanted to point this out but our comments were immediately deleted. He wrote about deleting comments:

Quote:
Indeed we will not comment every thing that is told and delete inappropriate and unrelated posts immediately.
So my own and other people questioning the prototype age is seemingly "inappropriate and unrelated"...

ps: for those who speak German, check the A1k forum thread on this, very eye opening...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 07 October 2016, 16:17   #162
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
BUT my reasoning was that there's maybe an equal amount of ppl who will be willing to let their 1260s go after getting the V1200.
I don't personally know anyone willing to trade their 060-board for a Vampire, mainly due to the fact that the Vampire is (at least not currently) guaranteed to work with all 060 software
Old 07 October 2016, 16:59   #163
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
ps: for those who speak German, check the A1k forum thread on this, very eye opening...
I haven't found this thread, could you please post a link to it?
Old 07 October 2016, 17:01   #164
dirkies
Zone Friend

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56738

And they even made a new logo over there for the new P5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phake5.png
Views:	79
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	50331  
Old 07 October 2016, 17:31   #165
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
I don't personally know anyone willing to trade their 060-board for a Vampire, mainly due to the fact that the Vampire is (at least not currently) guaranteed to work with all 060 software
I'll never part with my B1260. I may buy a vampire for a 2nd 1200 but you'll never get my 060 off me.
Old 07 October 2016, 18:10   #166
Akira

Quote:
Ugh I need an account to read, that is always the annoying thing about a1k.
Reader's digest version for us that don't want to sign up to that cesspool? :P
Old 07 October 2016, 19:38   #167
BarryB
Amigaholic

Until anything concrete is released perhaps they should be know as 'Phake 5' for now
Old 07 October 2016, 23:50   #168
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
There is no trouble to make it work with a CPU of some type, but "who pays for the service of finding out that the CPU is faulty?". The engineering time until you have *proven* (not just tried) that the CPU is at fault and the card is A-OK can easily be more expensive than the card itself.

So now we have a customer who purchased a card w/o CPU for maybe 400,- EUR. He also spent some amount for a CPU, puts both together and finds that it does not work.
<SLIT>

Jens
Another way to go: buyers send the CPU to you. Yes, you'll have to have a CPU tester.
Old 07 October 2016, 23:55   #169
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Ugh I need an account to read, that is always the annoying thing about a1k.
Reader's digest version for us that don't want to sign up to that cesspool? :P
It's so many pages. But clearly there is a lack of confidence over there. Some people even met the guy and called him "odd" with seemingly no technical knowledge at the level you would expect for someone driving such a huge project. So not saying this could become true, but reading all the red flags mentioned over there I am not confident this will become reality. Wait and see...
Old 08 October 2016, 01:12   #170
BarryB
Amigaholic

Doubt Jens will test any CPU's except his own stock! The time to test one CPU will could be more than the card+CPU are worth! Plus if it goes faulty what's to blame, the card, the CPU, the machine it's in? As Jens explained a few posts back, 3rd party key components are Verboten!!
Old 08 October 2016, 07:39   #171
jarp

People do not seem to realize that Jens runs a business, not a DIY club, and excepts to get paid for his efforts. In that context it's 100% understandable that he won't accept any components from the customer nor will he send boards without key components the customers. That's what DIY projects are for and you won't get any support nor warranty with DIY projects.

Back to the Phase 5 topic. I get my hopes up with Phase 5 and thought that the guy is just a bit eccentric with his Facebook rant. Until he posted pic of that prototype board. Boards looks like it was manufactured 20 years ago even to my untrained eyes...
Old 08 October 2016, 08:09   #172
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Come on, that's a moot point.
If we agree that the V1200 is coming in the future its pretty much guaranteed it will not be the same version of the core as the current "Gold 1". We all know they are working on the FPU...
I have a 1260 AND a Vampire in the A600 and I'm waiting for the FPU to happen so I can try some Q2 mapping. I'm not interested in the V1200 either until that happens, but obviously, the V1200 is still being designed, so claiming I don't want it because of the current state of the core is... Oh well... I'll leave it there.. 😆

And to the other comments from some other posters:

Frankly 17 (or so) guys posting they'll never get rid of their Blizzards will not really change anything, will it? 😁

The theory here was that *some* will decide to part with their 1260s feeding the second hand market perhaps with just as many units as there are potential buyers left. It's 2016, most of those who desperately wanted a 060 got it 20 years ago, so those still left wanting can't be a huge number?
Like I said a number of times before, this is obviously speculation, but I'd be surprised if owning a V1200 with say platinum core would have zero impact on the willingness on *every buyer* to sell the hardware they no longer (or rarely) use.
If you are the one who is taking the 1260 to your grave, that's fine, there's a bunch of us (yes me too), but surely not everyone..

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 08 October 2016, 08:27   #173
dirkies
Zone Friend

I must admit initially the thought of a V4000 made me think "oh, so I can sell my Cyberstorm060 MK2 and get that instead, much faster!" but after all those Vampire 'growing pains' stories and tech details (it is not 100% compatible) I changed my mind and so I will never get rid of my CS060 unless I get rid of my whole A4000.

ps: Same opinion applies when Phake5 cards are available
Old 08 October 2016, 10:41   #174
eXeler0

Quote:
I must admit initially the thought of a V4000 made me think "oh, so I can sell my Cyberstorm060 MK2 and get that instead, much faster!" but after all those Vampire 'growing pains' stories and tech details (it is not 100% compatible) I changed my mind and so I will never get rid of my CS060 unless I get rid of my whole A4000.

ps: Same opinion applies when Phake5 cards are available
Until the Vamp reaches Platinum status with fully working FPU I consider this all a big Beta test. But hey. It's FPGA tech. In the end, the core will be more compatible than the 060 (which frankly is quite useless without a pile of custom libs) so all argument about keeping the genuine 060 due to better compatibility will be rendered invalid.
I will keep my 1260 for other reasons. Partly because I don't need to recover the cash but mostly because I collect hardware. Others will have different argument for either keeping or selling.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 08 October 2016, 11:31   #175
britelite

Quote:
If we agree that the V1200 is coming in the future its pretty much guaranteed it will not be the same version of the core as the current "Gold 1".
Probably not, but that still doesn't guarantee compatibility with the 060, which for example for myself is crucial.

Quote:
We all know they are working on the FPU...
Yes, and still, it's not guaranteed to be compatible due to a lot of other things.

Quote:
so claiming I don't want it because of the current state of the core is... Oh well... I'll leave it there.. 😆
Well, considering the approach taken at the moment (ie. adding a lot of stupid extra features that will never get supported and might break compatibility), it's pretty safe to say that unless things change drastically in the vampire end of things, the current 060-owners won't trade their boards. Getting a Vampire to complement their 060-systems is another thing though.
Old 08 October 2016, 11:44   #176
britelite

Quote:
In the end, the core will be more compatible than the 060 (which frankly is quite useless without a pile of custom libs) so all argument about keeping the genuine 060 due to better compatibility will be rendered invalid.
No, it will have to be 100% compatible WITH the 060 for people to trade their 060-cards. This is pretty crucial considering it's being marketed as a replacement for the 060, ALL old 060-software has to work on it.
Old 08 October 2016, 11:53   #177
idrougge
Banned

People who have 060 cards are people who tend to have more than one Amiga, too. Like me (except I don't have an 060 card). I have an Apollo 3040 in my A3000. If i got a V3000, that Apollo would move into my A4000, thereby pushing an A3640 onto the market.
And I think that's what would generally occur; Vampire 1200 cards would result in 1260 card being put into the second A1200 of Vampire owners, thereby pushing a lot of tired old 1230 cards onto the second-hand market.
Old 08 October 2016, 12:57   #178
grond

If there are ten 060 cards on offer and eleven people desperate to get one, the prices will be the highest price the least desperate buyer would be willing to pay and thus very high. If, however, there are only two people losing interest in an 060 card due to the vampire, there will be ten 060 cards on offer and only nine people interested in buying one. Obviously the prices would drop to the reserve price of the seller least willing to sell his. So even a small amount of people opting for the vampire could change the market situation for 060 cards dramatically.
Old 08 October 2016, 13:18   #179
jarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
If, however, there are only two people losing interest in an 060 card due to the vampire, there will be ten 060 cards on offer and only nine people interested in buying one.
There's your problem, you make an assumption which may or may not be true. I had lost my interest in Amiga platform long time ago and had sold all the equipment years ago. Then I heard about Vampire accelerators.

As a end result I currently have multiple Amiga computers and have bought non-Vampire accelerators and some other equipment like memory expansions, USB cards etc. for them also. I could see myself buying old 060 accelerator also to complement Vampire. Just because it would be so cool.
Old 08 October 2016, 13:21   #180
dirkies
Zone Friend

I am sure the 060 cards prices' will drop a but when a V3000/4000 would (ever) see the day, but not sure this would have an effect on bare 060 CPUs. which are sold (MC68060RC50 rev6, some sellers have whole trays of them!) on Amibay for around 130€ a pop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10xMC68050RC50 Motorola.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	50343  
AdSense AdSense