English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 October 2016, 13:10   #121
AJCopland

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost242 View Post
Would it be possible for you to sell the accelerator without CPU ?
Likewise! I have an 060 with no accelerator for it to live in.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 October 2016, 13:14   #122
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost242 View Post
Would it be possible for you to sell the accelerator without CPU ?
Only in a true B2B contract, but the only time I've done something like that, it backfired badly on my name: Remember the ACA1231, which was produced with a supply of CPUs that I did not verify to my standards, just believing "these will run fine if overclocked".

The result was that I had enormous efforts getting the cards to work properly, and still today, people are using it as "bad example" of my products.

What I've learned is that I shall not sell anything that involves a third-party key component. If I do that, it's like a three-way contract, where it's possible that one points at the other and says "it's his fault!". This could continue forever, and the customer has no benefit at all.

I choose not to go that route. I sell fully-guaranteed products, or no product at all. Not a single "businessman" has kept up with a promise like "I'll do the support" or "I'll keep your name out of it" (where it's really hard to hide my name if my WEEE number must be printed on the board). Heck, I don't even know a single reseller who owns a PGA-18 chip-puller, so the mere lack of this tool makes it impossible to provide proper service.

If the stock of CPUs exists, I'm happy to buy it. At this point, we all have our reasons to doubt that it exists.

re KEL: Part no. 8817-200-170S and 8807-200-170S are 200-pin connectors for the A3000/A4000. I have a large stock of both.

Jens
Old 05 October 2016, 15:19   #123
crasbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Some fact: They claim that the MACH chips are still available - probably from Lattice. Not correct. Yes, something pin-compatible is available, but that's not voltage compatible. Also, it is highly questionable if the old Jedec files are compatible with the new chips, so aside from altering the PCB design, they might have to re-compile sources that they do not have.
That is (maybe) not entirely correct. The Blizzard 1260 uses MACH111s. The M4A5-Series is very similar and they are (mostly) pincompatible. They are powered with 5V too. The 3.3V equivalent would be the M4A3. The only major difference is that the MACH111 can use the dedicated JTAG-Pins as Input- or Clock-Pins whereas the M4A5-32/32 (which would be the equivalent in this example) can not. If the Blizzard uses this feature the M4A5s are incompatible.

Nevertheless migrating from MACH to M4A5 probably isn't trivial and I doubt the JEDECs are compatible without recompiling. Also the Blizzard 1260 uses different speedgrades of MACH111s, so timing issues could occur.
Old 05 October 2016, 17:30   #124
dirkies
Zone Friend

I noticed that they deleted my comment on FB questioning why they want to keep things so secret/censor pictures as they can't stop mentioning, as if some Chinese spy would copy 20 year old technology...
If they are really going to deliver what they claim, I really suggest they hire marketing professionals...
Old 05 October 2016, 19:13   #125
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
not fully correct... UG can be created with small capital but the founder still has to guarantee for (if I remember right) 25.000 EUR, whereas the normal GmbH was founded with that sum but the founder can use the money for buying equipment, salary and so on so in reality behind GMBH is no or not much capital. For that reason most banks ask for personal guarantees when you need a credit.
No the founder does not need to guarantee with any more capital than the founding capital. That exactly is one of the main differences compared to the GmbH. There are others like 25% of the yearly profits must go into the capital until it reaches 25.000 and when they reach that sum they can do whatever they want with the profit and even change to a GmbH.

EDIT:
As i was curious about who is behind the company i did a little bit of googling and i don't know what to say. Looks a bit odd to me:
The man behind Phase 5 is Fernandez Gomez Salvador. Anyone knows this guy? So far nothing wrong but i found he is the CEO to many other companies like this:
I don't post a link to his facebook profile as it can be found easily.

Commodore Büromaschinen UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Concorde Media UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Amiga Technologies UG (haftungsbeschränkt)

all founded April this year like Phase 5. Wtf?
Oh and Phase 5 has 100€ founding capital.

FWD Fernsehwerbung Deutschland GmbH one more he is the CEO and this company just went insolvent and has been dissolved.

It gets even more interesting:

found this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/100-MHZ-COMMO...-/291358135010
have a special look at the seeler, especially at the logo at the sellers page. What a coincidence Even though this auction is from January 2015.

Last edited by Thalion; 05 October 2016 at 19:47.
Old 05 October 2016, 20:48   #126
Yulquen74

Quote:
If that stock of CPUs really existed, I'd be more than interested in buying it. I could finally make an 040/060 design if I had sufficient CPU supply. I'm all prepared, just accumulating CPUs since quite some time.

Jens
Can I ask if the 060's you accumulate are full rev.6?

And if such 060's are used, will your board be able to go well beyond 50 MHz like other 060 boards by applying overclocking and cooling?
Old 05 October 2016, 23:04   #127
dirkies
Zone Friend

Exclamation

according to LinkedIn there is only 1 guy named like that in Germany, but still other companies affiliated with than the ones mentioned by Thalion:

Salvador Fernandez Gomez
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter (CEO) at SALVA-MEDIA International GmbH - HRB 81127
Frankfurt Am Main Area, Germany
Broadcast Media

That company (founded 2007) is located in the same suburb as Phase 5, but a different street, but then moved to another location, same location of FWD Fernsehwerbung Deutschland GmbH, which went bankrupt since September 6th 2016!
The website DNS entry for this company expired and is now for sale.

no word of P5 on Linkedin, not now nor in the past either, just a hint that indicates he is the same guy, is the fact this account is following Commodore (a tombstone company entry in Linkedin)

Instead of his aggressive response on Facebook that he will sue X Y Z who is critical of the new P5, he can solve all this very simple by delivering the goodies, instead of teasers. And yes, his own FB profile looks...odd...

...too many red flags for me...
Old 05 October 2016, 23:14   #128
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
found this:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/100-MHZ-COMMO...-/291358135010
have a special look at the seeler, especially at the logo at the sellers page. What a coincidence Even though this auction is from January 2015.
This is also his ebay account: http://www.ebay.de/usr/super-deluxw?...p2047675.l2559

500 euro Amiga socks and a 12k Draco....yeaaaahhhh
Old 05 October 2016, 23:27   #129
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
re KEL: Part no. 8817-200-170S and 8807-200-170S are 200-pin connectors for the A3000/A4000.
if you look carefully at the 2nd pic on FB showing the barcodes of those mysterious boxes, you see indeed the Japanese sticker was put over another bigger one, and that one underneath reads 8817-200-170S.

No idea why he blanked out so much of the stickers info.
The stickers do look like KEL ones, as you can compare with this one:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1064016
Old 05 October 2016, 23:34   #130
JimDrew

There *are* large stocks of 060's (rev 6) in China. MikeJ (FPGA Arcade Replay) has an 060 daughter board coming out and has access to them. You just have to be careful to make sure the 060's actually fully function (FPU, MMU). Whether these are knockoffs (probably) or not is irrelevant if they work. Mike's 060 interface is 113MHz... I am not sure exactly what his max clock rate has been.

Jens, you need to find a better tooling source. I typically pay about $1200 US for tooling per case set. I made 3 pieces (top/bottom/bezel) recently that was in a family mold for $1100. Overmolding or secondary pin insertion can't be that much extra. If I needed A1200 connectors, I would just have them produced not buy them from anyone, so perhaps that is what these people are doing? Only time will tell.

Last edited by JimDrew; 05 October 2016 at 23:40.
Old 06 October 2016, 07:42   #131
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Looks a bit odd to me:
The man behind Phase 5 is Fernandez Gomez Salvador. Anyone knows this guy?
A guy who knows some (all?) of the old Phase5 driving forces described Salvador Fernandez Gomez's role at the old Phase5 as being the "coffee boy". This is probably accurate as he was born in 1975 and thus was in his early twenties when the old Phase5 was big.
Old 06 October 2016, 08:16   #132
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
A guy who knows some (all?) of the old Phase5 driving forces described Salvador Fernandez Gomez's role at the old Phase5 as being the "coffee boy". This is probably accurate as he was born in 1975 and thus was in his early twenties when the old Phase5 was big.
Probably for 'safety reasons' he does not mention any of this on Facebook...
Old 06 October 2016, 08:26   #133
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
funny I was (and bet most of us here too) a 'coffee boy' aka junior when I was young and just out of school too but now it's 2016 and I bet ya a good chunk of those old 'coffee boys' and juniors are now CEO, entreprrenurs, & successful leaders
Old 06 October 2016, 13:36   #134
grond

Sure, a lot of things happen in twenty years. The point is that being a former employee of the real phase5 doesn't add anything to the credibility of this announcement given the minor role this former employee had back in the day. Of course, it is all possible and I think a few batches of new 060 cards would be a great thing for the Amiga to happen.
Old 06 October 2016, 14:02   #135
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulquen74 View Post
Can I ask if the 060's you accumulate are full rev.6?
I buy anything that's "full 040", and even "anything 060", even EC060 and LC060.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulquen74 View Post
And if such 060's are used, will your board be able to go well beyond 50 MHz like other 060 boards by applying overclocking and cooling?
My design uses a large FPGA for all timing generation. The idea is to create all clocks within a single chip and run all components within spec, even if the CPU is clocked higher. This allows pretty much any combination of CPU/RAM clock, where it's most desirable to have whole-number multipliers between the two clocks (such as 40MHz for the 68040 and 120MHz for the 192MB RAM).

In essence, the design is overclocker's heaven, although it won't be user-settable at all. Should I have enough CPUs at one point, the card will work in it's delivered state, and in no other configuration.

Dirkies: Good job on your online research. This does pop a few questions: If the guy is so good at paperwork around founding companies, how would one believe that he *also* has an engineering expertise? His main skills are surely to make a company look legit.

JimDrew: There's a number of toolings you need for such a connector - not just the plastic parts, but also the pins, the bending tools and the insertion tools. Note that the A1200 connector is a good bit wider than most other 1.27mm-edgecard connectors, so standard insertion tools can't be used. My toolings are long paid for (had them made in 2006), which is why I can offer such a good price.
As for 060s from China: I have had shipments coming in through escrow services a number of times: All old stuff, pulled, re-labelled, part of them even 040s. I've done that a total of four times, with four different "sources" from China. All of them actually shipped the same stock to me, which I had to return because it's not what I've paid for. Luckily, I "only" lost the fees for the escrow service, but that's quite some money, given the fact that I only learned not to trust Chinese sources.

I'm not saying that there's no Rev.6 060s out there - it's just highly unlikely that we'll find the actual source without too many people in the middle, who all want to make their cut.

Jens
Old 06 October 2016, 14:07   #136
dirkies
Zone Friend

Agree grond, but do not forget anyone can be a 1-employee paper-company "CEO" (as there are a lot of those fake "CEO's" or "Managing Directors" titles on LinkedIn), thus becoming an "entrepreneur" by definition.
Seemingly he spent 100€ on creating the new Phase5 company, buy a DNS entry for about 15€, take the old logo, and now calling him (moreover in broken English) "Phase 5 CEO"... compare that with Wolf Dietrich, the CEO of Phase5 in the 90s, no further comment...

This guy seems to have created a bunch of (paper-only) companies at the same time, most with a name as if related to Commodore and/or Amiga, as if "buying credibility/legitimacy" (as grond mentions with his previous P5 history) and going bankrupt a few weeks ago with his oldest company does not exactly sound like "successful" or transparent.

Of course some new batches of 060 cards would be nice, but only if the price was inferior to what they are going now for (but it sounds like it won't be cheap at all, since he is creating already so many excuses on FB how expensive it all is to make them, plus what he is asking on eBay for real old Amiga hardware (or socks ) are just total rip-off prices)

And do not forget these new cards may have manufacturing defects, seen the lack of experience from this new developer/manufacturer, and God help you how such defects will be supported/resolved...

I'll just take my popcorn and observe the next few months how this turns out, and how his "safety reasons" he claims as an excuse for not answering any of the critical questions are slowly unraveling...
Old 06 October 2016, 15:10   #137
eXeler0

@Schoenfeld I understand your standpoint on not selling turbo cards without CPU but I'm curious about you reasoning regarding the similar issues that might arise with Amiga Reloaded as you plan to sell it without CPU. I assume there will be a list with tested cards (Individual Comp brand) that work with the mobo and the you have to trust ppl didn't "break" the mobo trying to insert some other card.
To me, it would be the equivalent of releasing a turbocard without CPU but with a compatibility list for supported CPUs.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

Last edited by eXeler0; 06 October 2016 at 15:28.
Old 06 October 2016, 15:26   #138
eXeler0

Double post... Delete...
Old 06 October 2016, 15:32   #139
dirkies
Zone Friend

agree, but to Jens' defense, there are so many CPUs out there (speed/revisions/masks/Chinese fakes) that it would be very hard to satisfy many possibilities.
But I also would incline to see a card sold without CPU, and with a restricted list of most common 060 CPUs which are supported. He could even offer a small reduction to those willing to give feedback using their CPU with details, running a very strict QA testing procedure to decide whether it works fine or not. Of course this should be people familiar with hardware operations.
Old 06 October 2016, 15:52   #140
Schoenfeld
electricky.

There is no trouble to make it work with a CPU of some type, but "who pays for the service of finding out that the CPU is faulty?". The engineering time until you have *proven* (not just tried) that the CPU is at fault and the card is A-OK can easily be more expensive than the card itself.

So now we have a customer who purchased a card w/o CPU for maybe 400,- EUR. He also spent some amount for a CPU, puts both together and finds that it does not work.

The CPU came "from eBay", and the seller won't answer eMails. So the whole thing goes to me, and I'll do a 500,- EUR job proving that the CPU is at fault, and the card only suffered minor scratches, but works fine.

Customer refuses to pay, even threatens me with a lawyer, so I have to pay for all shipping. He then executes his right of revocation, leaving me with a scratched card, shipping cost and unpaid engineering work. If worse comes to worse, he even claims that my card has damaged his 200-EUR-CPU and makes me pay for that.
Not my kind of business.

Jens
AdSense AdSense