English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 October 2016, 07:55   #101
dirkies
Zone Friend

They did now publish a picture of 3× 2016 Cyberstorm accelerator cards fresh from China on Facebook. But their press release was delayed... we're used to delayed releases in Amigaland, some delayed indefinitely since years ...
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 October 2016, 13:13   #102
talybont

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
They did now publish a picture of 3× 2016 Cyberstorm accelerator cards fresh from China on Facebook. But their press release was delayed... we're used to delayed releases in Amigaland, some delayed indefinitely since years ...
I can only see that they have published pictures of older Cyberstorm cards, and some cardboard boxes.
Old 04 October 2016, 13:36   #103
Leffmann

I don't understand all the erasing of circuit tracks, digits and numbers on the shipping boxes this guy is doing. There was even someone who was scraping off the numbers on the chips on their hardware expansions a few years ago.
Old 04 October 2016, 13:38   #104
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
He states that they're older cards - 2 original phase 5 ones and a DCE. The boxes are ... some boxes.
Old 04 October 2016, 13:45   #105
dirkies
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

I cannot believe they would push it so far if this was a hoax... but yes, seeing is believing, still no hard proof.

And I quite disagree with their agressive/arrogant statement:
"For a small view to the right now "situation" and a special hint for -proof & fact- of important parts already delivered to us for the production, as a very clear and verified evidence, in contrary to a few incompetent and not involved individuals talking and spreading pure nonsense and false information about us and our products in some old external Amiga Forums, "

WTF?

They/He should understand with all the vaporware over the years and the way this is being marketed (awfully clumsy IMHO) what did he expect?
Old 04 October 2016, 13:46   #106
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I don't understand all the erasing of circuit tracks, digits and numbers on the shipping boxes this guy is doing. There was even someone who was scraping off the numbers on the chips on their hardware expansions a few years ago.
I saw that often with C64 cartridges and kernals back in the 80s!
Old 04 October 2016, 13:59   #107
Daedalus

Yep, it's common enough as a rudimentary way of protecting a design from being copied. I've seen it in all sorts of electronics, not just computer peripherals, where off-the-shelf components have had their part numbers removed. It's a different story of course where PROMs, GALs etc. are involved since it's their contents that are the important part,

As for the original topic, in true Amiga style they're not being particularly professional with their approach to public relations, but there is a chance that it's a legitimate thing. I would say just leave it alone and not get at all excited about it until any new products are in the hands of reviewers and available to order. Then we can get excited or upset or whatever, but for now... Meh.
Old 04 October 2016, 16:40   #108
eXeler0

Quote:
I cannot believe they would push it so far if this was a hoax... but yes, seeing is believing, still no hard proof.

And I quite disagree with their agressive/arrogant statement:
"For a small view to the right now "situation" and a special hint for -proof & fact- of important parts already delivered to us for the production, as a very clear and verified evidence, in contrary to a few incompetent and not involved individuals talking and spreading pure nonsense and false information about us and our products in some old external Amiga Forums, "

WTF?

They/He should understand with all the vaporware over the years and the way this is being marketed (awfully clumsy IMHO) what did he expect?
But he's not necessarily wrong either ;-)

You can assume a thing or two about what ppl should know or do in a situation like this one.. but it's also obvious there are those who are a bit.. how should I put this... more cynical... than necessary - who will actively shoot down pretty much anything thrown their way just because they can and never give the benefit of a doubt, no matter what.

I'm sure this behaviour comes with years of repeated disappointments, but it's still an active choice everyone makes in each such case.

I'm not saying whether this is legit or not but I'm saying ppl have a choice to simply wait and see instead of actively bashing any given announcement / project.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 04 October 2016, 16:55   #109
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
I cannot believe they would push it so far if this was a hoax...
A little back-of-the-envolope calculation:

Imagine they take 500,- EUR per card and collect this kind of money from 200 users, that's 100.000,- EUR in their pocket for doing nothing but a little paperwork.

Remember that "UG" is the "small GmbH" in Germany: If it goes bankrupt, there is hardly any capital that "customers" can hold on to (this form of company is commonly called the "1,- EUR GmbH"). So far for the bad news and for my usual warning: Don't pay upfront, unless you have a *person* and not this UG as your contractor.

Some math: They claim to have paid a five-digit-sum for A1200-connector tooling. They claim to be entrepreneurs. If that would be so, they would have asked me as well, because pretty much everyone should know by now that the tooling *share* that I charge is 6000,- EUR. That's probably half of what they are paying now. Why spend so much extra money? I have not been contacted at all. This may have personal reasons, so it may not have anything to say.

Some fact: They claim that the MACH chips are still available - probably from Lattice. Not correct. Yes, something pin-compatible is available, but that's not voltage compatible. Also, it is highly questionable if the old Jedec files are compatible with the new chips, so aside from altering the PCB design, they might have to re-compile sources that they do not have.

They claim to have a large stock of 060 processors. This may be true, but again, it's totally against what I know from distributors, chip brokers and a contact within Freescale (ex-Motorola). Among chip brokers, owners of stock usually exchange pictures of the boxes with visible datecodes and lot numbers, so they can be cross-checked with the manufacturer. If the lot/datecodes are removed, you MUST assume that the source is "China", and the contents are highly questionable. Here's where they can gain points.

If that stock of CPUs really existed, I'd be more than interested in buying it. I could finally make an 040/060 design if I had sufficient CPU supply. I'm all prepared, just accumulating CPUs since quite some time.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAD_Screenshot_ACA1260_small.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	50302  
Old 04 October 2016, 17:04   #110
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
If that stock of CPUs really existed, I'd be more than interested in buying it. I could finally make an 040/060 design if I had sufficient CPU supply. I'm all prepared, just accumulating CPUs since quite some time
Holy shit an ACA1260 would be amazing, fuck PPC junk!

It seems to me this kinda attitude is shared among a certain Amiga folk from a certain European country. It's kinda weird. But yeah, if you don't want us to talk sit, put up or shut up.

I'm much more excited about Jens' image now
Old 04 October 2016, 18:16   #111
OlafSch

Quote:
A little back-of-the-envolope calculation:

Imagine they take 500,- EUR per card and collect this kind of money from 200 users, that's 100.000,- EUR in their pocket for doing nothing but a little paperwork.

Remember that "UG" is the "small GmbH" in Germany: If it goes bankrupt, there is hardly any capital that "customers" can hold on to (this form of company is commonly called the "1,- EUR GmbH"). So far for the bad news and for my usual warning: Don't pay upfront, unless you have a *person* and not this UG as your contractor.

Some math: They claim to have paid a five-digit-sum for A1200-connector tooling. They claim to be entrepreneurs. If that would be so, they would have asked me as well, because pretty much everyone should know by now that the tooling *share* that I charge is 6000,- EUR. That's probably half of what they are paying now. Why spend so much extra money? I have not been contacted at all. This may have personal reasons, so it may not have anything to say.

Some fact: They claim that the MACH chips are still available - probably from Lattice. Not correct. Yes, something pin-compatible is available, but that's not voltage compatible. Also, it is highly questionable if the old Jedec files are compatible with the new chips, so aside from altering the PCB design, they might have to re-compile sources that they do not have.

They claim to have a large stock of 060 processors. This may be true, but again, it's totally against what I know from distributors, chip brokers and a contact within Freescale (ex-Motorola). Among chip brokers, owners of stock usually exchange pictures of the boxes with visible datecodes and lot numbers, so they can be cross-checked with the manufacturer. If the lot/datecodes are removed, you MUST assume that the source is "China", and the contents are highly questionable. Here's where they can gain points.

If that stock of CPUs really existed, I'd be more than interested in buying it. I could finally make an 040/060 design if I had sufficient CPU supply. I'm all prepared, just accumulating CPUs since quite some time.

Jens
not fully correct... UG can be created with small capital but the founder still has to guarantee for (if I remember right) 25.000 EUR, whereas the normal GmbH was founded with that sum but the founder can use the money for buying equipment, salary and so on so in reality behind GMBH is no or not much capital. For that reason most banks ask for personal guarantees when you need a credit.
Old 04 October 2016, 19:12   #112
klx300r

Thumbs up

all I can say is Phase 5 orignal stuff was and still is quality gear for our miggies and if these guys are any way affiliated with the original company and put out quality products then all the power to them and to us Amiga users
Old 04 October 2016, 23:33   #113
apex

Phase 5 will now take legal actions against these old external forums and their hate speech? Ok, take care what you are writing.
Old 04 October 2016, 23:45   #114
dirkies
Zone Friend

Seeing is believing! But it smells reading Jens' comments...
Old 05 October 2016, 00:33   #115
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
He states that they're older cards - 2 original phase 5 ones and a DCE. The boxes are ... some boxes.
Boxes of KEL connectors to be precise...
Old 05 October 2016, 00:36   #116
dirkies
Zone Friend

Are you saying it's (Just another Amiga) hoax?
Old 05 October 2016, 00:55   #117
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Thanks for the info Jens, very appreciated your opinion like in the past with the -still pending- ScanJuggler flicker fixer.
Old 05 October 2016, 01:16   #118
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Are you saying it's (Just another Amiga) hoax?
Depending on the model, they could be the 3000/4000 cpu connectors - need to check the model numbers.
Old 05 October 2016, 09:41   #119
frost242

Quote:

Jens
Would it be possible for you to sell the accelerator without CPU ?
Old 05 October 2016, 11:30   #120
wXR

+1 would buy without CPU
AdSense AdSense