Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ché View Post
It is a HOAX like IWIN was
I don't even know where to begin with that "advert", just too damn hilarious
AdSense AdSense  
Old 28 September 2016, 22:02   #62
Mr.Flibble

Oh wow, I had one of those cases waaaaaay back when...
Old 28 September 2016, 22:13   #63
JimDrew

It just amazes me how much negativity there is in the retro scene when a real developer announces a come back...
Old 28 September 2016, 22:32   #64
Mr.Flibble

Yeah, with this much negativity from the community, you have to marvel how anyone is willing to produce anything new for the platform these days...
Old 28 September 2016, 22:40   #65
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
It just amazes me how much negativity there is in the retro scene when a real developer announces a come back...
I think the problem is that there's been a lot of noise made by a lot of people promising the Next Big Thing (TM) in Another Two Weeks (TM) so the Amiga community is a rightly cynical bunch.

There have been some wonderful exceptions: Minimig, Vampire, Individual Computers, and probably more, but there's also been a lot of disappointment.

I hope it's genuine, I really do, but I won't be pre-ordering anything. When product exists and is in people's hands, then I'll be interested
Old 28 September 2016, 22:56   #66
dirkies
Zone Friend

In their defense, their battery autorization with German environmental authorities is legit (can be checked online). So the company really exists and does stuff in the background.
Old 29 September 2016, 00:22   #67
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
you said that because you are a developer and because you have not been scammed in 800$ like some amiga fans in 1999
Old 29 September 2016, 10:23   #68
Mr.Flibble

That's 17 years ago, and at a point in time when the amiga market pretty much collapsed.

This is a different company (Not the same people running it, just a former employee by all accounts) in a different time. Isn't it mildly rediculous to still be holding a grudge after all this time?
Old 29 September 2016, 17:41   #69
Akira

If somebody scammed me for $800, I'd take the grudge to death or until debt is paid :P
$800 is equivalent to $1,156.56 today, so, yeah.
Old 29 September 2016, 19:05   #70
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If somebody scammed me for $800, I'd take the grudge to death or until debt is paid :P
$800 is equivalent to $1,156.56 today, so, yeah.
"Scam" is a big word. Sometimes businesses and plans just go down the toilet...
Old 29 September 2016, 19:48   #71
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
The way i would announce new stuff would be to have actually stuff to announce. There simply have been too many words said and in the end there was nothing more than hot air. I would find it great if this announcement would come true but as said already the best way to get the community behind you is working and finishing something an then make the noise.
Old 29 September 2016, 22:49   #72
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Akira there is some nice info in spanish about the relaunch of Phase 5 in this video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 September 2016, 23:17   #73
Locutus

can you summarize? I dont speak spanish :-)
Old 30 September 2016, 00:08   #74
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
can you summarize? I dont speak spanish :-)
I do and there is no way I am eating up four hours of whatever that is.
Old 30 September 2016, 00:23   #75
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
They talk a lot about it and the process, I even haven't had the time to watch it all.

Edit: But I see there is a problem with the video, the link I linked was starting at 45:55, there is where they begin talking about it, sorry Akira. It's really very interesting, they talk about Salvador Fernández Gómez as the man behind the idea.

Edit2: Watching now... they "speculate" through some contacts that he bought 060's by Motorola -at 60Mhz- in november last year by hundreds and that he has all of the rights and permissions to make the boards.

Edited because of a typo.

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 September 2016 at 14:24.
Old 30 September 2016, 02:48   #76
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
They talk a lot about it and the process, I even haven't had the time to watch it all.

Edit: But I see there is a problem with the video, the link I linked was starting at 45:55, there is where they begin talking about it, sorry Akira. It's really very interesting, they talk about Salvador Fernández Gómez as the man behind the idea.

Edit2: Watching now... they "expeculate" though some contacts that he bought 060's by Motorola -at 60Mhz- in november last year by hundreds and that he has all of the rights and permissions to make the boards.
Ahhh so some third party speculations and want believe ? i can skip that.
Old 30 September 2016, 02:51   #77
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
The way i would announce new stuff would be to have actually stuff to announce. There simply have been too many words said and in the end there was nothing more than hot air. I would find it great if this announcement would come true but as said already the best way to get the community behind you is working and finishing something an then make the noise.
You have to announce your intentions. There has to be a definitive level of interest to get the commitment to go into production. You guys don't realize just how expensive it is to start up a new production run of anything (and yes, these would be new runs because all of the old tooling is long gone). For electronics there are up front NRE (non re-occurring engineering) fees, so additional runs are cheaper. But, you still have to fork out the money up front. In the case of accelerators and other relatively expensive items, it's tens of thousands of dollars in expense to get started. Would YOU spend that kind of money without some type of reassurance that you are going to at least recoup that amount (regardless of a profit)?

I have a slew of Amiga hardware designs, but there is no way that I would just suddenly have a pile of products for sale without finding out if there is even an interest in them.
Old 30 September 2016, 13:09   #78
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

+1
It's been said before, Jim. People just don't listen
Old 30 September 2016, 18:09   #79
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
You have to announce your intentions. There has to be a definitive level of interest to get the commitment to go into production. You guys don't realize just how expensive it is to start up a new production run of anything (and yes, these would be new runs because all of the old tooling is long gone). For electronics there are up front NRE (non re-occurring engineering) fees, so additional runs are cheaper. But, you still have to fork out the money up front. In the case of accelerators and other relatively expensive items, it's tens of thousands of dollars in expense to get started. Would YOU spend that kind of money without some type of reassurance that you are going to at least recoup that amount (regardless of a profit)?

I have a slew of Amiga hardware designs, but there is no way that I would just suddenly have a pile of products for sale without finding out if there is even an interest in them.
Seems you don't get my point. It is a big difference if you are asking about interest in the community and if they would buy something when its coming out, there is nothing wrong with that. But making big plans of this and that and having it sound as if its nearly finished and showing nothing is what makes everybody suspicious as it happened too often in the past.
Old 30 September 2016, 18:22   #80
dirkies
Zone Friend

agree with Thalion, they seem to spill a lot of beans without any actual picture of a finished product to back up their story.
AdSense AdSense