English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 27 September 2016, 09:55   #41
Locutus

I wonder when people email him about getting their Phase5 Cyberstorm G4 preorder money back >;-D
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 September 2016, 13:10   #42
spudje

So what happened with those G3/4 plans then? I left Amiga years before that. Was it simply Phase 5's bankruptcy or technical challenges that could not be overcome?

Last edited by spudje; 27 September 2016 at 13:17.
Old 27 September 2016, 13:45   #43
ajk

Well essentially, the development of the Amiga could not keep up with competing systems after about 1994, and soon the market share was too small to make such projects financially viable.
Old 27 September 2016, 15:22   #44
dirkies
Zone Friend

I wonder how much % of the total price of a Cyberstorm 060 card was just for the CPU?
If someone would remake these same cards, the price will surely be a lot less (in theory, assuming they can produce enough to make economies of scale, I wonder how many they sold in total over all the active years)

About the authenticity of a P5 return, I agree with others here: seeing is believing, until then, I pay no further attention to this.
Old 27 September 2016, 16:41   #45
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I wonder when people email him about getting their Phase5 Cyberstorm G4 preorder money back >;-D
Yeah that's "funny", they should give that back.
Old 27 September 2016, 17:07   #46
grond

So this former employee (not proprietor!) of phase5 shows some JEDEC files of some old blizzard in order to prove that it's not a hoax. Unfortunately this puts up more questions than it answers as this file is intellectual property of the liquidised real phase5. Assuming that the rights to this file weren't sold to him twenty years ago from the assets of the bankrupt company, it still belongs to the real phase5 and he can't use it without having to pay the price (which then could be used to pay a few pennies to people who still have claims against the real phase5).
Old 27 September 2016, 17:53   #47
Thalion
Amiga Collector

I guess prices will be quite high as i bet he will be selling only after having enough preorders to keep the production costs at a reasonable level. Next thing is, the company is a UG. This means the company has no or only a very smal amount of capital. Doesn't sound very solid to me.
Old 27 September 2016, 19:58   #48
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Assuming that the rights to this file weren't sold to him twenty years ago from the assets of the bankrupt company, it still belongs to the real phase5 and he can't use it without having to pay the price
Good point, if this person did buy phase5's assets, he would have acquired the debt too, and he should be responsible for returning that preorder money.
Old 27 September 2016, 20:17   #49
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Good point, if this person did buy phase5's assets, he would have acquired the debt too, and he should be responsible for returning that preorder money.
That only applies in the case of buying the company out, not when buying assets. (Source code, hardware designs etc)
Old 28 September 2016, 01:45   #50
happymondays

Especially if they bought the assets during the liquidation/windup process. Since they have nothing to do with the original company, they cannot be held liable for the debt.
Old 28 September 2016, 04:04   #51
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
yep
I remember they scammed lot of Amiga users with preorders of G4 cyberstorms , but specially they done lot of dirty money with the G3 blizzards preorders

they are a basically shameless scammers
Old 28 September 2016, 07:55   #52
aszu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
yep
I remember they scammed lot of Amiga users with preorders of G4 cyberstorms , but specially they done lot of dirty money with the G3 blizzards preorders

they are a basically shameless scammers
who are scammers? original phase5? or dce, who bought the assets and all the rights?
Old 28 September 2016, 08:09   #53
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszu View Post
who are scammers? original phase5? or dce, who bought the assets and all the rights?
the phase5 guys are the scammers
the big scam was done in 1999, (the preorders for the G3 and G4 boards)
DCE bough licenses 1 year later (around 2000)
Old 28 September 2016, 08:20   #54
eXeler0

Quote:
Scammers? Isn't that a bit harsh? Considering all the good products they manufactured for the Amiga over the years.. and how things understandably went downhill in the late 90s...
I'm sure they had fair intentions up until the end... Then at some point the economical reality caught up with them and things turned ugly.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk
Old 28 September 2016, 09:04   #55
aszu

Quote:
Do you know what scam is? How do you know, they just wanted to take folks' money and had no intention of releasing G3 and G4? After all they have done in the past, why would they do that?
Also, in 2000 the company filed for insolvency, so basically gone bust. It does happen, you know? Also If we take into account that some chaps have gone to bPlan to work on Pegasos and have managed to release it and been involved in work on MorphOS I would never consider it a scam. I feel sorry for people who lost money, but the market was different back then. Business model was different, conditions were different. Everything was different. So no I would NEVER consider phase5 a scam.
Old 28 September 2016, 09:38   #56
Leffmann

From the video it looks like they're using the old design from the 90's. No improvements to the design at all? Will people also have to buy decades old dog-slow SIMMs for it? No modernized design using SO-DIMMs?
Old 28 September 2016, 14:06   #57
dirkies
Zone Friend

I believe they claim to begin by reproducing the exact same 90s spec hardware, and then if that is a success modernizing things (SO-DIMM RAM maxed at 2 or even 4GB and SATA (SATA1 speed suffices) instead of obsolete SCSI2/3 would be a nice change on the Cyberstorm!)
Old 28 September 2016, 14:25   #58
Locutus

Lol Kek:

'for safety'

Old 28 September 2016, 16:39   #59
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
That only applies in the case of buying the company out, not when buying assets. (Source code, hardware designs etc)
Thanks for schooling my ignorant ass. I stand corrected.
Old 28 September 2016, 19:35   #60
ché

It is a HOAX like IWIN was
AdSense AdSense