English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 October 2016, 00:52   #241
Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
hello. I´ve direct contact with Salvador Fernandez.

I´ve asked some questions to him for our Spanish Youtube Amiga channel "Amigawave" and he has answered all our questions:

[ Show youtube player ]
from 2:15:25 until 3:26:00

A lot of interesting information (In Spanish, sorry) but maybe the more relevant points are:

- Prototype PCB's were given from Wolf Dietrich & Gerald Carda to him for free.
- Li Zhang, Christian Keller and Gerald Carda were the main programmers for all PCB's and Logic Units. Nobody more.
- He had found a solution for the weird 150pins A1200 connector.
- He are in contact with several suppliers for MC68060 and there´re no problem.
- Launch date: Dec.2016 / March 2017.
- Example price: Blizzard 1260 about 399€-599€ with new cplds.
- You´ll can buy directly to phase 5 or via resellers.

If anyone know spanish and want enumerate more interesting points, go on!

Greets.
Can one of the spanish speaking persons translate this (subtitles) and put it on youtube?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 October 2016, 03:38   #242
klx300r

time to sell products guys, nuff hype
Old 18 October 2016, 18:51   #243
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit View Post
You called today? im curious..
Actually i did it today, three time but unfortunately nobody answered the call. So maybe i try again.
Old 18 October 2016, 18:58   #244
dirkies
Zone Friend

I guess the "hotline" went cold
Old 18 October 2016, 19:41   #245
Akira

Quote:
Can one of the spanish speaking persons translate this (subtitles) and put it on youtube?
It would be really complicated, bunch of people talking for a long time. But I'll try to transcribe what I can. Estrayk has already given the "highlights" of what he has spoken with him. I'll fill in some gaps.

Disclaimer: I would take with a very large pinch of salt what is spoken there. The channels's view is obviously tinted by Amiga fanboyism (I mean, of course, this is an Amiga fan channel!). I don't mean to question what they have done as it is a fan channel and not objective press, but I would really, really not take for granted anything said within as all statements lack real confirmation and use the word of this dude Fernandez Gomez as absolute truth, which I think is a failed approach to gather facts. So with that in mind, I'll write what I heard with sometimes my views in parenthesis.

The first words say that this guy is "very professional", the phake5 guy himself, Salvador Fernandez Gomez, does not speak, dude refused to give an interview saying he is super busy (yet he found time to watch the video and correct the interviewer in real time after he had spoken about their conversation ).

So first he talks abut how he was an "important" person in phase5 (would prefer the account on that from anyone else working at phase5, given that he was in his early 20s back then and makes this sound very improbable)

Next question was about why this was all never heard about and why such a sudden announcement, dude says he always had this in mind, in a "ïf i was running phase5 i would do things differently" way and last year he decided to do it because he had the money, contacts and the information he needed to do it (?). So he created a Facebook page (?) and got frustrated that nobody believed in it (like if a Facebook page was the utmost definition of promise to release a product ).

Then there's a lot (too much) talk about how he feels butt hurt about forum comments, saying a lot of comments are personal, and the interviewer himself says he doesn't understand where this comes from because he had not seen such comments. He says that he wasn't just a "random" employee but "important" (yet in the whole talk it is failed to explain EXACTLY what position he USED to be in the company. So he answered nothing).

Most of the video just talks about the drama. Fernandez Gomez sent a photo of an "access card" "which the dude himself says "is only for those very important" (but who backs that comment up? In any company that has electronic locks, any random person that needs access to the building has one, yes, even janitors, despite what this guy says. Again, this looks like a ridiculous, unsupported claim that doesn't add anything to the real talk which is about accelerators). The scan of the card is shown but it doens't say much, it's a card with a logo and a paper stamp on top with his name wrongly spelled (?).

Then there is talk about why this has been done (and then a lot of fanboy talk about the Amiga being the most prominent product of all the retro computers, which is unfounded, but that's just fan talk so is best disregarded). Interviewer says that this dude saw a HUGE market (REALLY?) hungry for products and decided to do this. Interviewer seemed to agree (REALLY? Define huge)

Next Q is about drama AGAIN, why he is angry about forums and shit (so yeah this question is irrelevant, sounds like high school drama). He again says that he will legally follow through with people that talk shit about this thing (honestly, someone who has not released anything yet is already full on hating the community, tsk tsk, not really a trustworthy attitude. And bring on the lawyers, looking forward to you wasting your money on trying to censor people, seems like you have learned this kind of attitude from Franco).

Following, Fernandez says phase 5 was two companies, one dedicated to be the front and public face of phase5 and one that was in charge of actually building the things, the electronics part.

Some more blabber about who was working there and not, among which this dude said Jens Schönfeld never worked at phase5 (was that ever a topic?).

Then it was asked how he got the schematics, since they were thought lost. He said DCE did lose all schematics but there were other copies.
Fernandez now explains that he was one day at "his desk"(?) and Cardan approached him and told him there was a a container full of prototype cards and stuff they wanted to destroy and since he was such an Amiga fan (????????) they would give it to him for free. Okay. .
This did not include the schematics, was later clarified, and the origin of the schematics was NOT disclosed and dude said he will "say it later" (thus not clarifying anything at all, we still don't know how the schematics were acquired and his right to reproduce and sell them nowadays is unclear).

Another question was about the 1200 CPU connectors. Says some foreign company will be making them for him. At this point the interviewer says that it was implied that he had talked with Jens about this but Fernandez clarified real time that he had not talked with Jens, he had only seen what Jens had written here at EAB at some thread about the connectors (possibly a Vampire related one. Also confirming he is reading this thread and probably a lot of his frustration regarding public opinion comes from it).

Next question is about 060s, he said he has a lot and is always looking for more, that there are more and then there's some talk about some Freescale 060@133Mhz. Anyway he said he can't say more but says there are many places to find them at (going against the statements by other people in the scene with a lot more credibility than him. ).

All the other info was posted by Estrayk already and I don't have much more else to translate as they enter a little Q&A among the cast and speculate at things Amiga as any fans would do (and there's some talk about Vampire in light of this "announcement" but as I said this is all personal opinion of the show's hosts so not "facts" to be discussed).

I'm still not buying any of it. It is thoroughly ignored that there's no way a dude this young was in any way a high-up person of interest in phase5 back in the day. And taking HIS word as truth will not lead us to any facts. Interviewer says this guy has 25 years of experience as a professional in the field and knows what he is doing, but he has nothing to back up that claim but this person's own account of the story. In the end this little "interview" doesn't really clarify anything and it all sounds like more misinformation from the source.
From the way FErnandez Gomez has reacted to people talking about this it is evident he isn't a "professional businessman with 25 years of experience", threatening with legal action after reading criticism of any kind is not how companies deal with public opinion. Please provide precedent as to any case in which a company has sued someone from commenting on a public forum about upcoming products, not even if they won, but precedent that they went ahead and did that. Saying tehse things shows a real lack of knowledge in legal matters which I'd think a professional with so much experience would really know.

The only way to vouch for this person's past is if people involved in the original phase5 come up and speak about this dude to vouch for him. And even if this person had no past and is doing now out of Amiga passion or whatever, that is fine, but stop the misinformation and the empty threats, all people want to see is a real product. Nobody cares if you were the coffee boy at phase5 if you actually come through with the goods. But none of this helps to your credibility.
Old 18 October 2016, 19:47   #246
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
last year he decided to do it because he had the money
yeah, he founded the Phake5 company with €100 in capital, that is some serious money!
Old 18 October 2016, 20:13   #247
DH
Global Moderator

Well, as we already know this Salvador Fernandez Gomez is reading this forum, whether he's a member or not, he should join in and enlighten us all and answer some of the bloody questions that arise again, and again, and again.

If he wants us to take him seriously he should really err on the side of caution, give the answers everyone is asking, provide some legitimate proof, and stop this bombardment of empty threats that he'll take legal action against everyone who has posted in this thread, have everyone arrested, sent to prison for 100 years, and asked for a thousand years of forgiveness.

I mean, come on, this is just getting sillier and sillier by the minute.

Dammit! I posted, now I'm in for it
Old 18 October 2016, 20:24   #248
dirkies
Zone Friend

Showing some actual pictures of new pcb's from the manufacturer labs (like the A1200 cases kickstarter did) would be the best way to stop the rumour mill and release his "press release" he keeps delaying, with some solid information on how he organised things professionally, that may change my mind on the seriousness of this. But he only keeps posting censored renderings of pcb's which of course everyone can do. So for now he remains a clown to me until further notice.
Old 18 October 2016, 20:26   #249
Exit

Quote:

The only way to vouch for this person's past is if people involved in the original phase5 come up and speak about this dude to vouch for him. And even if this person had no past and is doing now out of Amiga passion or whatever, that is fine, but stop the misinformation and the empty threats, all people want to see is a real product. Nobody cares if you were the coffee boy at phase5 if you actually come through with the goods. But none of this helps to your credibility.
This is how i see it too...we need someone from the old phase 5 company to react on this matter..does anyone know some persons? maybe the guys from a1k.org...
aPEX said he got the official 'okay' in the past from Ralph Schmidt (old phase 5) to upload all the phase 5 drivers.. maybe he can contact him (ralph Schmidt) again and ask him too shed some light on this matter to clear some things up.

thnx Akira for your translation and point of view

Last edited by Exit; 18 October 2016 at 20:38.
Old 18 October 2016, 20:36   #250
Locutus

Hi Mister Gomez, i like your socks!
Old 18 October 2016, 21:08   #251
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
I think this is real and the boards (I don't know if all of the models) will be for sale.

I offer myself to betatest a new B1260 and to tell here if he wants to

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 October 2016 at 21:43.
Old 18 October 2016, 21:20   #252
Exit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I think this is real and the boards (I don't know if all of the models) will be for sale.

I offer myself to betatest a new B1260 and to tell here if he wants too
why do you think its real?
Old 18 October 2016, 21:43   #253
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Send a message via Skype™ to Retrofan
Quote:
Just my feeling, but as I say I offer myself just to clear things here
Old 18 October 2016, 21:43   #254
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Some more blabber about who was working there and not, among which this dude said Jens Schönfeld never worked at phase5 (was that ever a topic?).
Sure this is a topic. I never worked for Phase 5, so I can't possibly know what it takes to make Amiga accelerators in 2016. Isn't that obvious?

Retrofan: I agree, we will see many of the boards for sale, most likely on eBay. My expectation is that he will declare it as "fundraising" for making new boards. Fully legit, as he can always claim that funds were insufficient, so no further boards after the prototypes have been sold off.

Jens
Old 18 October 2016, 21:46   #255
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Well, as we already know this Salvador Fernandez Gomez is reading this forum, whether he's a member or not, he should join in and enlighten us all and answer some of the bloody questions that arise again, and again, and again.

[...]
I mean, come on, this is just getting sillier and sillier by the minute.
Yeah agreed, although it might end up in being a shit slinging match like when other people that were in these forums didn't like their stuff being criticized *name withheld* with the added "threat" of "legal" action.

Quote:
For years hardcore Amiga following is more and more akin to a religion than anything else, Amiga zealotry is real and this kind of statement, based in absolutely no real facts but this dude's word, I would consider akin to FAITH.

When I listened to that podcast or whatever you call it, I really had a hard time understanding why these gents talking about Amiga were so invested in beliveing in this guy's word with no real facts. Statements like "this guy is a professional setting up a pro operation, unlike the Vampire team", without ANYTHING at all that hints towards this being done in a professional way, are really gob-smacking. In the end it's a true case of faith in that this dude will come through with the goods and they will be able to buy these much sough-after items for their computers they so passionately adore.

What we really need at this point is objective facts and we're getting none. Some detective work has been in place in this thread and well done, but there's so much we can do with a web browser and google, the rest is speculation, and if this character hates speculation so much, it'd be better to take the necessary steps to prevent speculation by providing facts or just shutting everyone up with actions. How many times do you have to announce you'll make a press release? A press release is an announcement, this is like the pre-sequel of the pre-sequel of the pre-sequel of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Sure this is a topic. I never worked for Phase 5, so I can't possibly know what it takes to make Amiga accelerators in 2016. Isn't that obvious?
I meant, I was never aware of such discussion, if it actually ever existed (people on the podcast make it seem like it is or was a point of discussion at some point) and I really don't care, but I thought it was weird that it was brought up and your message, which I am taking as ironic, doesn't really clarify that point for me, but that's off topic. Let's keep the drama at bay and talk more about real facts.
Old 18 October 2016, 21:55   #256
AMike

@Akira
Thank you for the summary - very interesting - but as expected - the same blabla as on Facebook.

Edit: Best part is the point with the key card - also the cleaning personal in our company - which is a several billion dollar company - has key cards. Perhaps these are my new CEO's!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Hi Mister Gomez, i like your socks!

Last edited by AMike; 18 October 2016 at 22:03.
Old 18 October 2016, 22:05   #257
bubbob42

@Akira - Many thanks for your summary - I almost laughed my ass off.
Old 18 October 2016, 22:23   #258
Exit

https://www.xing.com/profile/Salvador_FernandezGomez

Here it says he was sales manager for b-plan and he studied Hochschul-Abschluss / Informatik Studium?
Old 18 October 2016, 22:31   #259
apex

Quote:
This is how i see it too...we need someone from the old phase 5 company to react on this matter..does anyone know some persons? maybe the guys from a1k.org...
aPEX said he got the official 'okay' in the past from [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2] Ralph Schmidt (old phase 5) to upload all the phase 5 drivers.. maybe he can contact him (ralph Schmidt) again and ask him too shed some light on this matter to clear some things up.

We got the ok from Ralph many, many years ago. I think our page is now over 10 years old, hopefully we will NOT run into trouble after such a long time supporting the community. Our programmer got that permission, which mean I have no direct contact.
But I know that Ralph & bplan was informed already 2 or 3 month ago.

I have no personally problem with this guy. He has just to deliver without pre-payment using well known dealers like Amigakit & Vesalia and everything will be fine. Till that, the rumors in the Amiga forums will not stop.
Old 18 October 2016, 23:13   #260
Akira

Quote:
Here it says he was sales manager for b-plan and he studied Hochschul-Abschluss / Informatik Studium?
As I said we can go so far with internet searches. Nobody knows who filled up that information, if it is himself, it can say whatever, nobody fact checks these profiles. His LInkedIn info says something similar as well as stating that he currently works on a self-founded web design company, registered as a company in the same area as the new p5 reg.
AdSense AdSense