English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should we create an EAB game?
Yes I like this idea and would definitely contribute 24 64.86%
No thats a crap idea and would take far too long 2 5.41%
I dont care as I wouldnt be able/bothered to contribute anyway 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 January 2003, 23:23   #41
BippyM
Global Moderator

Re: Reasoning

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Plenty of you guys have ideas, and with the exception of HOL, not all of them come to fruition!

this isnt a criticism, just an observation.

A puzzle game is relatively simple to produce, can be turned around quickly, and will keep peoples motivation up as they can see something happening. A multi scrolling game is not a 'quick' job!

Once the puzzle game is done, that might encourage more ideas, and hopefully the will to continue.

The last thing I want to do is start some mammoth task that will never get finished.

At least with a simple a playable puzzle game (i.e. NOT Pacman!) we can turn it around quickly and maintain the interest.

Ever heard the phrase..... learn to walk before you run?

Keep it simple, then get more complex later.

Exactly this is how you learn alot of things in life, least not computer development!

Maybe if I had more patience I would be able to program now myself, but I always got disheartened and lost interest quickly (Wanting to develop a top notch game with no programming ability)

Anyway I think a puzznic type game would be perfect!

or maybe we should throw some puzzle ideas around??
AdSense AdSense  
Old 27 January 2003, 23:33   #42
Drake1009

I guess I'll start going to work on a puzznic clone tomorrow since I'm a bit too active tonight.

Let's see if I ever finish it. If I can get a good way of drawing graphcs going it should be somewhat doable for me in a day's time. Then comes graphics fine tuning.

Ideas for special things about the game could be a "frederic" block which will smear any blocks coming into contact with it. Need to get to a shower first then. But then that's possible to do later.
Old 27 January 2003, 23:43   #43
BippyM
Global Moderator

the frederic block could stop you moving the block it is touching for 10 seconds, then the Fred block would move to a random location (Not touching another block!)

could also have bonus blocks for extra time, points etc.
Old 28 January 2003, 00:23   #44
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

For those...

that have seen Zoop, I am pretty sure I can knock up a quick imitation quite quickly for you guys to peruse.

At least then we can see what graphics and music you guys can come up with.

also, you need to decide on the format.

Is it going to be OCS/ECS compatible? Is it AGA only? Is it trackloading, is it HD installable, this kind of thing.

Assuming I have enough time, I will knock up a Zoop style clone and upload an .exe for you to check out.
Old 28 January 2003, 00:31   #45
Drake1009

I bought Zoop. Great little game. Actually bought it because I really wanted a game of Plotting and I recalled from the demo it had certain traits to Plotting which wasn't released on the PC. Zoop would be very easy to make too.

I know I started referring to Zoop as a stress test in a box. When you play continuous and make it to level 10 you start getting really stressed out with the rate those things are coming at you at.
Old 28 January 2003, 01:39   #46
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Re: Reasoning

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Plenty of you guys have ideas, and with the exception of HOL, not all of them come to fruition!

this isnt a criticism, just an observation.

A puzzle game is relatively simple to produce, can be turned around quickly, and will keep peoples motivation up as they can see something happening. A multi scrolling game is not a 'quick' job!

Once the puzzle game is done, that might encourage more ideas, and hopefully the will to continue.

The last thing I want to do is start some mammoth task that will never get finished.

At least with a simple a playable puzzle game (i.e. NOT Pacman!) we can turn it around quickly and maintain the interest.

Ever heard the phrase..... learn to walk before you run?

Keep it simple, then get more complex later.
I agree that a lot of really good ideas here remain just that, which is a shame and it would be a shame also if this idea comes to nothing. The puzzle idea is a good one although I dont know what zoop is, whats it like?
Fair enough you dont like the Pacman idea, it was just an idea as I agree it should be something simple to ensure the project actually gets finished!

It would be nice though if we could incorporate some of our avatars into any game that gets made to give it our own personalized EAB touch.
I also think it should be a good challenge so that we can constantly be bettering each others best.
Old 28 January 2003, 02:36   #47
Drake1009

Well if I can put that puzznic clone together in java it should be able to load pictures from a directory and use those images. You could just place the avatars of choice there.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:57   #48
žane

How about a straight-forward vertical or horizontal Wacky EAB Racer.

If Galahad does a miggi version, Drake1009 a Java version, I'll consider doing a C/C++ DX version.
Old 28 January 2003, 12:38   #49
Drake1009

Would that be a sort of game like ... errm forgot the name, think it was bumble buggy on the C64. Saw everything from the top, had to steer left and right to avoid cars and jump over holes and such?
Old 28 January 2003, 18:37   #50
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Sane
I like this idea
....and all the EAB members could be selectable!
Old 30 January 2003, 00:57   #51
Feltzkrone

Hey, we are planning to create a game on GAEB, too - and we just started. It should become a kind of point-and-click adventure and unluckily I have to say that it seems we're stuck at the moment. Perhaps it's just a too big project for us...

Anyway, I see RetroMan working on the game code (BlitzBasic 2), Leva (coordinator) working on the story and the game design and MombasaJoe and me working on the tunes. We're motivated and we've allready thought about something very common - MODs with shared sampledata.

Nothing special happened yet (we are just at the start, the character profiles and some tunes are ready) but I can offer these links for anyone who's interested:

Main developer's page:
http://gaeb-adventure.de.vu - german only

Music page (all MODs 3 Channels only - one channel left for SFX):
http://feltzkrone.freezope.org/gaeb/gaebmusik.htm - german & english

I could (and would) contribute MODs to a possible EAB game (but I'm quite sure somebody here could do it better).
Old 30 January 2003, 02:17   #52
Djay
breakpointUK.com

Send a message via MSN to Djay
@Feltzkrone - finally a musican, have you gotta any tunes you have done already... if so share on the zone!!!!

what styles of music do you do?
Old 30 January 2003, 02:46   #53
Feltzkrone

Take a look at the links above, you can download some of my tunes made for the GAEB adventure from the music page.

This was something new for me (using 3 channels instead of 32) as I used to make XMs with FastTracker 2 only...

BTW: If you don't get into the PMD file format and how to use the "converter" I'll pack those seven tunes into a solid RAR file and up it to the zone.

EDIT: I don't have any special music styles, but when it's about XMs I prefer making metal music or slow electronic/ambient(?) tunes.

YET ANOTHER EDIT:
The resulting MODs aren't 100% ProTracker compatible (saved with FastTracker 2), but WinAMP and DeliPlayer play it the correct way. Loading them into PT3.61 and saving them again will "fix" them. FT2 uses a slightly different frequency table which some replayers doesn't like.

Last edited by Feltzkrone; 30 January 2003 at 02:54.
Old 31 January 2003, 01:21   #54
woody57

Instant Gratification ?

may be I,m off beam and close to the realms of bad taste by offering the Gadge PD software game Armchair Assasin as an instant vechicle that allows through its victim generator even the poorest artist with its blank head template the chance to contribute personalised mobile targets . the twelve weapons available do on highest speed make a fast and furious blast um game . Meanwhile i,ll carry on with an amos effort time I learnt something new!
Old 31 January 2003, 04:44   #55
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I was chatting with Walker Thursday morn and came up with some ideas...maybe it was the wine, maybe the imported caviar...

EAB Underworld
Mind you, I still despise FPS games, but an EAB PFS is one I could actually play. Rather than the usual scenario of tunnels and caves or wherever it is people shoot at each other from in those games, the playfield is the unique element: the characters in the storyline are shrunk down 'Fantastic Voyage'-style and placed on an A500 motherboard. They can hide behind chips or diodes, then shoot at one another. Maybe even some WB WAD files or whatever. I think 2D would add a nice twist to it all, but even 3D would be effective on an Amiga mobo.

I suppose someone will need to code FPS Construction Kit first, though...
Old 31 January 2003, 11:20   #56
BippyM
Global Moderator

not if one of the existing FPS games is used, and a mod is created
Old 31 January 2003, 11:27   #57
Paul
RIP Friends

How about using tomcat666 Isometric 3D engine
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241
Old 31 January 2003, 17:02   #58
Drake1009

As for the puzznic clone. Right now after having not touched it for over 24 hours I quickly coded a bit on it. The blocks now fall, you can grab a block and push it to the sides if they're not moving to a side right now.

All that needs before the graphical polishing is to ensure that when 2 or more blocks bump together that they're destroyed. Should be easy enough.

Then I need a check to see if there are more blocks left in a level or if you proceed. And finally a level editor so you can play in something other than the boring 10x10 square level with a Block labelled 1 falling onto a block labelled 2 without having to hardcode every single level.
Old 31 January 2003, 22:17   #59
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
How about using tomcat666 Isometric 3D engine
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8241
PAUL YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! Hello?!?!?!?! This is exactly what we should be using!!!!
Old 31 January 2003, 22:53   #60
BippyM
Global Moderator

Why not do the Puzznic clone as it would be simple enuff to code on both machines, and graphics would be near enuff identical on both!

Then move to the 3D isometric idea after, as a port would need coding for the miggy side of things
AdSense AdSense